AT&T Subsidized $199 iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mayank18, Aug 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mayank18 macrumors newbie

I am so far buying an AT&T iPhone at a subsidized price of $199 with 2 year contract.

I am hearing that this scheme has been discontinued by AT&T. Is that right? Pl. let me know, if you happen to know. Thanks.

2. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

3. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

What model?

4. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

AT&T got rid of the contracts and the subsidies.

You'll need to compare the ATT Next programs and see which one is right for you. You'll wind up paying more over the two years, you won't recoup your money on selling your old iPhone any more, but the one benefit is that there is no money down. Just sign some papers and walk out of the store.

BJ

5. aneftp macrumors 601

It def more expensive for those of us with grandfathered a la carte 9.99 add a line plans (family talk 550/700/1400 minutes plans with rollover).

Cause we get FAN discounts not only on the voice portion but also on the data portion as well.

So my FAN discount me 24% on the voice plus the 24% on the $35 unlimited data.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Correct. AT&T no longer offers subsidized pricing. You have two choices:
    1. Full retail price
    2. Add monthly payments onto the price of your plan (essentially, interest-free financing)

7. aneftp macrumors 601

Full retail plus PRICE FULL TAXES.

Except a few parts of the country like California. Most of us paid $199/299 for iPhone plus sales taxes only on that $199/299.

So now gotta pay 6-8% sales taxes on the $650-750 full msrp price PLUS the $15 att next "activation fee"

8. ray737 macrumors 6502

No more contracts. Just spoke to them for an hour!!! An hour wasted of my life. I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan. They told me they can't match T-Mobile deal but they can give me 2 months of passport access for travel as I am off to Europe next month.

I will be u clocking my phone next month and switching to T-Mobile unlimited data plan. Will be nice to have data and text international at no additional cost.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

As long as you have TMO cvoverage where you work & play.

10. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

Why don't you just do the Next program and keep your unlimited data?

11. ray737 macrumors 6502

I sure do. I have been comparing my company iPad which has T-Mobile LTE and coverage is outstanding in NYC and major cities I go to. Hell my LTE in my condo is 5 bars with T-Mobile vs 2 bars with AT&T

12. ray737 macrumors 6502

I will pay full price if I decide to upgrade. The issue with AT&T is that with the grandfathered plan you don't get unlimited data texts international. That's important to me. You get way more bang for your buck with T-Mobile and I will still have unlimited data with T-Mobile. No more looking for wifi signal as I'm walking around in Europe.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That's great. Choice is always a good thing. Enjoy.

14. comptr macrumors 65816

Only current Verizon and Sprint customers still have 2 year contracts. I would call AT&T and see if a newer plan is bett r for you. Newer plans have device subsidies, that go towards the next payment.

15. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Does AT&T still charge an "upgrade fee" if I buy my own phone, full price in the general retail market, and pop in my current SIM?

16. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

Ah gotcha! I was worried that if I did the Next plan with my unlimited data, I would lose it but I called and they told me no.

17. frozencarbonite macrumors 6502

frozencarbonite

So what happens if you want to do Apple's Upgrade program instead of AT&T Next? Is that possible to do and stay with your current AT&T plan? I am grandfathered in to unlimited data with AT&T and can't lose that. But I like the idea of Apples Upgrade program better than AT&T. I also have a FAN discount that I don't want to lose.

This is going to be tricky and complicated.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe they have an "activation" fee, not sure if its applied to your own phone or those procured via the NEXT program.

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

What company? I get 22% with Fedex.

20. aneftp macrumors 601

Hospital corporation called MedStar in mid Atlantic.

21. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Sigh... another thing to watch out for in the bill. I've always had the upgrade fee waived in the past by calling/ pestering them until they caved. No reason to pay an "activation" fee if I am purchasing the phone, popping in the SIM myself - AT&T did nothing!

22. aneftp macrumors 601

Yup. Pretty soon that att next activation fee will go up.

It's all a scam. Pure profit with these fees. Att next was "zero" fees. Now $15. Nothing to stop them from going to $20/30 activation fee.

Same way they raised the "line access" fee from $15 to $20.

The carriers WANT us to be paying $200/month (with ZERO SUBSIDY). (Family plan based on 4 lines)

They knew consumers were balking at paying $300/month (with subsidy) family plan of 4. Psychologically consumers $300 a month is way too much.

Like the cable industry hit a nerve once it hit $150/month for "triple play phone/internet/tv with no premium channels).

There is only so much the consumer will take

23. imlynxy, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

imlynxy macrumors 65816

Thanks to UMASS, MIT, Harvard graduate and former At&t employee for "changing the industry". I always thank him when I buy a full price iPhone. I also thank him for changing my 2-year contract into 2-year financial obligation with a credit history hard pull *

* Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental

24. Mayank18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the feedback.

I am planning to change to T-mobile unlimited plan as well now, since I get very good coverage where I live in California. If AT&T cannot give subsidized phone, then I think I am out of AT&T.