Carrier AT&T Subsidy for iPhone 6S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by melman101, Aug 30, 2015.

1. melman101 macrumors 68030

Hey all,
    My wife and I are still rocking the unlimited data plan from AT&T. We both have iPhone 5S's. We are interested in getting the 6S but I have a few questions.

I noticed on Apple's site that their are no more subsidies for AT&T however, on AT&T website, there are still subsidy prices. So I can buy it off AT&T website like normal?

We used to trade in our phones for a gift card at the Apple Store. Does AT&T do something similar?

I'd much rather go for the subsidy pricing then the full price in installments.

Thanks everyone!

Mel

2. chabig macrumors 68040

With "subsidized" pricing, you are still paying the full price in installments. It's just hidden in the cost of your plan. But yes, you can buy the phone from AT&T as normal. Sell your older phones on Craigslist to unlock their value.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you want to go the subsidy route, you will need to get the phones directly from ATT, they've been pulling back in offering subsidized phones. I believe ATT will give you a credit if you want to trade your phone in, but like more retailers accepting trade ins, the amount you get will be meager compared to what you can get by selling it.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

When I take ATT up on their subsidy for an additional 2 year contract my monthly bill does not go up.

So how am I "paying the full price in installments"?

The cheapest way to buy a phone is still with a two year subsidized contract from ATT. My UDP is alive and well.

5. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok cool, so your in the same boat. I think this is gonna be a sh*t show this year.

Yeah, I understand that the cost of the phone is hidden inside my plan, but my bill won't go up. If I get the installment plan, my plan charges stay the same because I'm not switching from unlimited and now I'm paying full price for the phone.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

AT&T is "loaning" you the money up front to pay for the phone and adding that cost to your mobile plan. That is why you are contractually obligated to stick with the plan for two years or pay an early termination fee.

If you just paid full price using a credit card you would also be contractually obligated to pay off the amount.

The big difference is that when the credit card balance is paid off you're done paying. At the end of AT&T's contract you continue to pay.

Check out AT&T's non-contract plans. You'll see that they cost less because they don't include the cost of the device.

The term "subsidy" was always a misnomer. The user always pays for the device.

7. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I'm in the same boat. This year is gonna suck for us. I'm already resigned to the fact that I won't be able to get the 6s on launch day.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sorry but the cost of my phone service does not go up if I take advantage of this so I consider it to be free of charge and the best deal for me. You think as you wish but it does not cost me anything to take advantage of the subsidized price that ATT offers me.

Does not really matter as I will be paying full price to APPLE and not ATT for my 6S+

9. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

If you have an old grandfathered UDP plan you are definitely saving money with a subsidized phone versus one of the new installment plans. The fact that people still don't get this is kind of annoying.

10. thadoggfather, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015

thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Yeah unlimited is where its at.

Also wonder, if 6s/6s+ are only subsidized through AT&T, doesn't AT&T get way less inventory than apple store? like, shockingly? both online but also particularly in store.

this launch will be interesting, and i'm curious to see how sales numbers are since a lot of Americans in particular think of subsidy as the barrier entry or no bueno. Unlocked prices make a lot of people laugh.

I got my 6+ 64 unsubsidized though, upgrade eligible, debating what to do.

jailbreak and good quality screen (winning the screen lottery) are both key, might stay put for a while.

11. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Damn I just checked my upgrade eligibility. 9/21. I'm gonna have to talk to AT&T and see if they can move that up.

12. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Just spoke to someone at AT&T. They couldn't help.

13. Applejuiced, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is completely false.
    Noncontract plans when you factor in the $450 in subsidies that you lose per line they are not cheaper than old 2 year contract plans.
    I fact it would cost me twice the amount of what I pay now over a 2 year period on my family plan to go to unsubsidized plans and buy my phones every 2 years or make payments on them with next.
    Check out this thread and educate yourself before thinking mobile share plans will save you money. They do not.
    They rip you off. I see people like you buying into the false promises of carriers that mobile share is cheaper.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...om-their-website.1908154/page-2#post-21727322

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Wait till we are almost ready to order and ATT might change you upgrade ability. It happened for me once, like two days before it was time to preorder. I order from Apple anyway but did get an email telling I was all of a sudden available for an upgrade.

15. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Pretty sure you can upgrade once you hit the month of your upgrade. Meaning if you upgrade date is 9/21 you should be able to upgrade starting on 9/1

16. ricktat macrumors 65816

Last year I went to the AT&T store at 10 AM on pre-order day and ordered 2 phones for launch day with no issues. AT&T can't deliver to my address because their system doesn't acknowledge it as being correct. So I always have to do in store pick-up. Odd I know. Apple has no issues shipping to me as long as it is not attached to my AT&T account.

17. Downs2011 macrumors regular

So, nothing beats unlimited data, we all know this. But when I switched to the next plan, I was paying almost the exact amount with the same data and with AT&T's new promotion i'm getting 15gb for the same price. I've been on the next plan for two years now and the easiest way for me has been to pay AT&T the remaining balance around this time, unlock my phone with AT&T and preorder the new iPhone at 3:00am come preorder day. New iPhone shows up, and the old one gets sold on E bay/Craigslist with at least $200 profit over the trade-in price that AT&T offers(your remaining balance). Subsidies are cool but for the 6 plus I would have to pay $400 up front, then my bill be practically the same thing?

18. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

At the beginning of the renewal month, the AT&T renewal date will reset to the first day of the renewal month.

This can be confirmed by checking OLAM after September 1.

19. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

You are correct!

20. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Who or what is this "OLAM"?

Here is what I found:
    "OLAM is a collaborative venture and shared platform to promote global Jewish service and international development."

21. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Correct!

22. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

Google is an amazing tool.

Searching "AT&T OLAM," the first result is https://www.att.com/olam, which resolves to AT&T's Online Account Management.

23. pokerplayer73 macrumors 6502

pokerplayer73

I just checked and you are correct. Earlier it showed 09/21/15, now it says I am eligible to upgrade. Awesome.

24. mhdena macrumors 6502

Maybe you can "Rock" your wife for the few weeks you may have to wait till you can "Rock" new phones.:cool:

25. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

Thank you. I try to deal in facts, which sometimes is tough around here.