At&t & t-mobile merger

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by youngsunnz, Mar 20, 2011.

1. youngsunnz macrumors regular

I think this is great...Just a few questions...will att adapt tmobiles wireless plans? Also can someone make a map with tmobile and att coverage map combined so we can see how itll be looking for both data and voice? Now the next iPhone should be 4g capable.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    More than likely the current T-Mobile plans will be grandfathered in, but if you want to update to a new phone you have to get a new AT&T plan.

3. zenio macrumors 6502

4. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I Know someone who still on a old Cingular contract.

5. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

I hope it helps out voice coverage on at&t. I didn't make the Verizon leap

6. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

The actual merger won't be complete for at least a year. Anything we ponder now is all guess work. We won't know what it means for Tmo customers or AT&T customers for months and months.

7. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

It will mean slower data, more expensive prices, and more restrictions on Android phones for T-mobile customers.

T-mobile's coverage is already very, very close to AT&T's.

As a T-mobile customer, I am not happy with the merger. AT&T has absolutely nothing to offer me

8. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

You've got to be kidding.

9. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

You are serious? This is a great things for T-Mobile users now the have a network outside the city.

10. elan123 macrumors 6502

Yes, he was.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're full of jokes today :D

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I believe that they will let us grandfather our voice and text plans.

Unlocked iPhones tend to have the T-Mobile Total Web Plan (Unlimited EDGE) for $6/month. This I HIGHLY DOUBT they will let us grandfather that in.

AT&T has a rule that if you get an iPhone and it's not on a valid iPhone data plan, you automatically get signed up for one...

Should be interesting when this happens.

How do you know if it's a year?

My question is:

If we "switch" to AT&T earlier - would we have to pay an activation fee? Can we try to wave it?

Just to "ease" the pain, AT&T started a $10/month for 1000 text plan, also, if you work for a small business, and your small business is on AT&T, you get a discount on your wireless bill (I was looking into this).

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

14. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

No. T-mobile has roaming agreements with AT&T, so there are many locations where T-mobile phones lease time on AT&T towers.

15. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Not looking forward to this merger and luckily I switched to Verizon this weekend before the storm happens.

16. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

T-Mobiles coverage blows compared to AT&T's. I admit that I occasionally more bars with my Nexus One than my iPhone but it hasn't helped with my shoddy 3G service. The 3G is awfully spotty and slow practically anywhere I go. Not to mention the Bay Area is AT&T's Achilles Heel.

17. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

For those thinking this will be a quick process it wont... it wont even take shape for probably a year a more.

The way it works is this. They've announced their intent to buy. Now they have to submit it to the FCC to get regulatory approval for the merger.

Inside of that submission is going to be a HUGE list of properties they're going to divest (both on the TMO and ATT side) as part of the merger. Most of these are overlapping area's where one or the other already has superior service and they're going to dump off the overlap to keep it from being a monopoly, among other things.

Most likely the FCC will reject that, and give them some more stuff to divest. They'll counter propose, and it will get approved.

Then they'll actually complete the merger a short time later as far as "we now own TMO", but neither company will change... yet. They will operate completely independent and a "merger rollout" will be planned, and market by market they will bring customers who have not been divested into ATT's system. This doesn't happen at once, but over a period of time. Also until your area is "officially" migrated to ATT (as a TMO customer) you cannot just switch over. The companies operate independent until the merger is complete in your area so you can't skip ahead.

They will then put up those Divested area's into auction, and companies will buy them and start a similar process to bring those customers (when an area is divested both the network and ALL customers in that market area go with it to the new company) into their systems.

So, because of the above, you can't really see what either area will look like yet because A LOT of TMO and ATT's customers/markets will be divested off. ATT isn't doing this for the network they're doing it for the customers most likely, and because of that it's going to be a longer process since they have SO many major overlapping area's.

I spent over 5yrs in the cellular industry, and the company I worked for at that point both bought a company and was purchased by another so I've seen it from both sides.

It's a long process.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Thanks for the link!
    It looks like
    - It will take 12 months to completely transform into AT&T
    - T-Mobile will not be getting the iPhone while it is independent
    - they will honor all contracted plans before change in ownership

19. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Well, if you are not on contract, and need a new phone, why can't you just go from T-Mobile to AT&T?

I would think they would welcome it - less users to have to migrate over...

I would imagine a lot of T-Mobile customers on the fence with the iPhone (and don't use an unlocked one) will now be going to get one, especially when iPhone 5 comes out.

I plan on waiting a couple of weeks then looking to see about switching but try to get the activation fee waived...

20. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

If you're not under contract then you can switch to any carrier via normal "porting" without issue. So that should work. I'm talking about just taking your account over to ATT prior to the merger.

Until they fully merge in your area going from TMO to ATT will be like any other customer.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lease time for roaming on AT&T's 2G Edge?
    Cause it obviously cant use their 3G bands.

22. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

23. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Yep. That is how it usually works. There is little reason for the carrier to spend the extra $$ to lease 3G connectivity if you are just trying to keep the customer connected.

Most carriers will actually drop a customer if their roaming is costing the carrier too much money. Its fairly common for folks out in the boonies.

I pay about $10 less per month than I would otherwise have to if I were with AT&T. The reason why I am NOT with AT&T is because their network has had issues for years (my roommate has an iphone and about half of my friends have AT&T, and my company uses AT&T). The service isn't bad here in Atlanta, but it has more problems with drops and crowded events than Verizon or T-mobile. Data speed isn't that important to me, but T-mo is currently faster than AT&T (mostly because T-mobile has less subscribers).... then there is the fact that T-mobile current has unlimited data (with a 5GB soft cap).

Basically, being added to AT&T's network is a step down for me. I will be sad to see T-mobile go because its been the best secret kept among national providers for a few years.

I've been off contract for about a year and a half, but am still with them.

Sprint isnt so great around here. Low cell capacity and the worst coverage of the 4.

24. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

no you don't:rolleyes:

25. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Did that person sign a 2+ year contract (that never existed AFAIK) with Cingular?