Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
I live it central CT & got my 1st warning from AT&T around 7.8gb, but I pushed it to 9.2. Last month I did 9.3 without any warning at all, so I don't get it. :confused:

Pumapayam

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2009
Houston Texas
Got my warning 14 days into my cycle.

The near top 5% warning was at 1.65 GB.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I live in south eastern CT. I got throttled at 11.5 gigs last month6 days into my billing cycle. Monday I got a throttling warning at 3.8 gigs. Not throttled yet but we will see.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
New Orleans, LA

Used roughly 2.4gb and got the throttling message

Brother in law used 1.9gb and got it.

We both switched service carriers right after

Used our wallets to make a statement towards AT&T

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
The moment I am throttled once this is what I am going to do.

1. At night I will begin uploading 2gigs of pictures and video a night to dropbox. This is so numerically speaking, if people did this, the mythical "5%" will go up, not down, as AT&T wants it to

2. I will call. Being firm and professional, escalating my call and taking people's names, documenting my calls.

3. I will send a certified letter explaining my issue and how they can resolve my issue, being firm and polite, to the CEO.

4. (This may be done after or at the same time as he former.) Complaints to the FCC and the BBB, mainly for false marketing of their "unlimited" plan and lack of customer transparency in the process of throttling.

5. I will cancel my service, with or without the ETF, when the iPhone 5 comes out. I am hoping that the minimum AT&T wil do for me is waive this, since they have greatly reduced the amount of bandwidth available to me, and I am a long time customer.

6. I may or may not pay the ETF. Each time a collection effort is made I may challenge the validity of the debt using the reduced bandwidth clause in their TOS, printed out with screen shots from my phone and a letter.

Oh, I'm in the Cleveland, OH area and I recieved my warning message on 1/30/12, by using 6gb. This amount doesn't bother me, but it's the slippery slope leading to 2gb or less that bothers me.

images

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
New Orleans, LA

That's the way to show AT&T you mean business. :)

z28black98

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
Oklahoma
New Orleans, LA

Did you call and cancel or go to a store? Not for sure if you can even cancel in a store. Did they try to recover your business by offering dollars off your montly bill??

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Called and cancelled.

Got zero resistance from AT&T to quit. They said ok and we moved on

When I told them I was cancelling they were willing to give me family text messages for $20 for 6 months. That's all they were willing to do. Only willing to offer a discount on messaging but nothing on data plan. I was looking for 5gb plus tethering for $30 a month. They wouldn't budge so I moved on from ATT. But I do miss those speeds when I wasn't throttled. Verizon is much slower on downloads but web browsing pretty much the same as ATT.

Pumapayam

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2009
Houston Texas
Got my warning 14 days into my cycle.

The near top 5% warning was at 1.65 GB.

Formal throttle started today since I am now in the top 5% 17 days into my cycle,

Houston, Texas
2.5 GB
0.23 Mbps download speed.

That's about 1/10 of normal, but surprisingly, isn't that near Verizon 3G speeds?:D

luvsoccer

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
Philly area

12/22/2011 - Received my first ever throttle warning text when I hit 10GIG, but never received the followup throttle notice and was never throttled in December.

1/23/2012 - received throttle warning text at 6GIG
1/25/2012 - received throttle notice text at 7.8254 GIG and was immediately throttled at .10Mbps download speed

2/20/2012 - received throttle warning text at 4GIG
2/21/2012 - received throttle notice text at 6.4GIG in the morning but not immediately throttled
2/22/2012 - throttled in the morning, but not at .10Mbps - can get up to .25Mbps download

Last edited:

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Formal throttle started today since I am now in the top 5% 17 days into my cycle,

Houston, Texas
2.5 GB
0.23 Mbps download speed.

That's about 1/10 of normal, but surprisingly, isn't that near Verizon 3G speeds?:D

Dam Verizon and their slow speeds!! :rolleyes:

Already at 8 gbs and still 10 days left in the billing cycle.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 72

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I got this months warning on Feb 20th ans was at 3.8 gigs. I just got the "you may be reduced" text last night at 6.5 gigs. I only have 3 days left in my billing cycle. I watched Netflix all day yesterday on the phone. I thought it would take a few days for them to throttle me but AT&T was right on top of it.

illini1

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009
I live in Springfield, IL and got my text last night. I was at 2MB. This is my second month in a row to get the text.

I called AT&T and they basically said that they know that the contract doesn't allow them to do this and if you take them to small claims court you'd win. They said that they'd appeal and draw it out as long as possible to make it as expensive as possible for you. I was shocked the rep admitted to this.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
I live in Springfield, IL and got my text last night. I was at 2MB. This is my second month in a row to get the text.

I called AT&T and they basically said that they know that the contract doesn't allow them to do this and if you take them to small claims court you'd win. They said that they'd appeal and draw it out as long as possible to make it as expensive as possible for you. I was shocked the rep admitted to this.

You shouldn't be shocked at anything AT&T does. They only care about their profits. :rolleyes:

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
You shouldn't be shocked at anything AT&T does. They only care about their profits. :rolleyes:

You mean like all those other companie who don't want profit? I didnt realize AT&T wasn't interested in making money, and should be providing services free....who'd have thought, a company out to make money, shocking!:eek:

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
You mean like all those other companie who don't want profit? I didnt realize AT&T wasn't interested in making money, and should be providing services free....who'd have thought, a company out to make money, shocking!:eek:

They are in it to make money. However treat your longterm customers by throttling their speeds when a brand new customer isn't effected at all? Your kidding me right?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
They are in it to make money. However treat your longterm customers by throttling their speeds when a brand new customer isn't effected at all? Your kidding me right?

No I am not kidding you, because you've been on a contract or a customer longer means your owed something? I've been with AT&T for years and year now, hell I was with cingular way back before they AT&T sank their teeth in. Just becuase you've been with them "forever" doesn't entitle you to crap.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
No I am not kidding you, because you've been on a contract or a customer longer means your owed something? I've been with AT&T for years and year now, hell I was with cingular way back before they AT&T sank their teeth in. Just because you've been with them "forever" doesn't entitle you to crap.

Why are you back? We told you that your tired rants and defense of AT&T was now well documented, unwanted, and unnecessary. You have added nothing NEW to the conversation in weeks. Please go away or bring something new.

Your comments are like week old potato salad: bland, unappealing, taking up needed space, and starting to smell a little.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Why are you back? We told you that your tired rants and defense of AT&T was now well documented, unwanted, and unnecessary. You have added nothing NEW to the conversation in weeks. Please go away or bring something new.

Your comments are like week old potato salad: bland, unappealing, taking up needed space, and starting to smell a little.

You use "we" you mean you and two other dudes don't like what I say?

Also, what argument was I having with anyone? I simply stated open opinions, which you choose to beef with. I dont care abotu arguing on a message board, I just type what my head thinks. You're all sorts of lost bro.

Back? Been posting here for years! Some people have jobs, where we work and do things and cant troll a message board all day, so yeah, us real world people got stuff to do, can't comment every minute every day kiddo! Just because you dont like my opinion, doesn't mean I can't voice. Sorry to hurt your feelings sweety. There's actaully a nifty button allowing you to ignore me, you should click it. However you seem to love what I post since you stalk every post I write, stop being stalker-ish, my ol' lady will get jealous!

Also your potato salad line is weak, if you're going to be funny, then at least bring the funny, everyone can appreciate good humor, that was just sad...so try something else, this time actually be funny. I encourage it

Furthermore, you never reply in context to what i post topic wise, you just make general comments trying to attack, where's the debate in that? I have better debates with my 13 year old nephew.

Last edited:

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Fort Collins Colorado. I used 5GB in two days and didn't get a warning. I was at 711 MB three days before my billing cycle ended and ended the month with nearly 6GB. I used that much data in two days using iTunes Match.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.