AT&T Throttling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1213, Jan 11, 2014.

1. 1213 macrumors newbie

Just had a few questions to any of you who have AT&T and get throttled. What city do you live in? Is it just congested areas or anywhere? And do you know of any ways to stop the throttling from happening? My friend is giving me his line and he has unlimited data and said he never has gotten throttled, but I'm a very heavy data user. I use about 25 GB on my plan now that's why I'm switching to his. Thanks for the help.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. 1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

What if my iPhone says 4g. I don't have lte at my house. Is it still 5 GB?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, as long as you have an LTE device and the LTE unlimited data plan on your account then its 5GB.

5. 1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I keep on bugging you but one more thing, do you automatically get throttled or do you just sometimes?

6. CopyPasta macrumors newbie

AT&T Unlimited LTE here. Used 9GB last month, 12GB the month before. Never been throttled.

7. 1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you get the message about being the top 5%?

8. CopyPasta macrumors newbie

nope

9. 1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

What town do you live in? Is it very populated and congested? I live on Beverly, Ohio with a population of about 3,000 people.

----------

What town do you live in? Is it very populated and congested? I live on Beverly, Ohio with a population of about 3,000 people.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sometimes it depends by location and traffic in that area.
    I have gone up to 8GB and never got throttled but others get hit with the text message and throttling as soon as they hit the 5GB mark.

11. blarivee macrumors 6502

I think AT&T stopped sending top 5% SMS. They just go ahead and throttle you without notice. It all depends on how congested the networks are. The only way to find out is to go over the limit. Besides the throttling only last for one billing cycle.

12. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

I have averaged about 11gb of data the past couple of months and the past 2 months I have been throttled as soon as I hit 5gb. Think they are starting to ramp up on heavy users...

13. 1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

What city do you live in?

14. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

I have never been throttled until last month. Now AGAIN this month I am already throttled, 11 days left in my billing cycle.

15. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

At this point in the game, they have no reason to throttle. Very, very few people, myself included still have an unlimited plan. If everything on the plan used as much as they wanted too, it would not impact the network in the slightest way.

16. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

I have a 5s unlimited data as well, I live in Los Angeles and I use about 12-15gb per month. I have NEVER been throttled. Just my experience. Hope it helps

17. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Consider yourself pretty lucky then. They still do in the majority of congested markets.

18. 1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 5S also, but I don't have LTE available in my area so I only get 4G. But there's probably 1500 people running off of the cell phone towers so I can't see it being too conjested in my area. I probably use about 15gb right now with verizon on the share everything plan and it's just too expensive.

----------

What's the throttle speeds on 3G/4G and LTE?

19. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

Not everyone gets throttled, there's a certain feature on your line that tells the system if you're subject to it or not.

20. 1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

What feature is this? Can you take a picture and show me?

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What?
    We're talking about the unlimited iPhone data plan on AT&T.
    What are you talking about?

22. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

It's something you can't see on your account or anything. Strictly internal.. not really sure how certain accounts get the "feature." There seems to be a certain way of the system determining which lines are untethered or not.

23. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Sorry so late but Birmingham, Al is where I'm located...

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've never gotten throttled. I don't even check my usage.

25. Swampbaby985 macrumors member

Swampbaby985

I have the 6+ and am still on "unlimited" and AT&T has began throttling my data as of last night. According to them I've so far used Data (MB): 5,680.04 of Unlimited.

However I have an issue with being throttled, when I got my 6+ and as recently as the middle of October I was NOT getting LTE speeds on my phone. If Anything my data speeds were slower than what "4G" was on my old 4S. When O called and spoke to the rep I told her I don't find it fair that I'm being throttled when I wasn't even getting the data speeds that AT&T's LTE was supposed to even deliver. I told her it was faulty advertising.

She said that throttling is strictly computer generated. That a computer auto generates the warning texts, and that a computer auto throttles you.