Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I see a point: Spend $400 more upfront to avoid having to pay $30/month x 24 months=$720 for a data plan that I can live without.

I guess I just view the iPhone as largely useless without the data plan. I'd just buy an iTouch and a cheap flip phone for a phone then, and then while I'd have to carry a phone and an iTouch, I wouldn't have spent $600 for the convenience of having it in one device.

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
well clearly youve never been to europe, and if u have or are european then wtf. France 700 euros (i think) and Switzerlan 1200 CHF (in dollars its just a bit less)

I live in the UK - the home of extortionate pricing. It's even more expensive in the UK for a PAYG phone than the $700 AT&T are asking (or at least it was before the £ died a death). None of this contradicts my original assertion that the pricing is absolutely ridiculous for what is essentially a telephone.

I find it quite amazing that an 8GB iPhone is more than double the price of an 8GB iPod Touch.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I guess I just view the iPhone as largely useless without the data plan. I'd just buy an iTouch and a cheap flip phone for a phone then, and then while I'd have to carry a phone and an iTouch, I wouldn't have spent $600 for the convenience of having it in one device.

Now that the iphone is getting turn-by-turn gps I may not have to buy that standalone unit I was going to get for a road trip in August.

Since I'll be looking for both a new phone and a gps unit later this year, this could be the ticket. I'm spending the dough anyway and prefer the all-in-one convenience.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland

Also, it's not useless without a data plan. I'm at coffee shops and libraries every day that provide free wireless. It's entirely worth it to be connected during those times, free of charge, on a device I'd be carrying anyway. I would rarely tote around an ipod touch in addition to my phone. What's not worth it for me is spending $700 over a couple of years for those very rare occasions I need a data plan.

Mintin8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2009
United Kingdom
I live in the UK. I prefer the iPhone with a data plan. Without is just to much hassle. I wouldnt want to pay £10 a month manually to get 3G after the first year. Well thats how it works in britain, not sure about this one though. Paying monthly is just a lot easier IMO but i can see the other point of view.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
When the 3G shipped I was 1 year (out of 2 years) into my iPhone Edge contract, I qualified to buy a 3G, and yes my contract was extended which was no big deal to me...

I believe/expect it to be the same for the 3G.X iphone this summer.

No, you are wrong. This will not be the case.

You were qualified from the first day that the 3G came out to upgrade to it.

This is why:
The 1st gen iPhone was not subsidized- when you bought it, you paid full price for it. You could have upgraded at any point in your contract.

The 3G is a subsidized unit, and (I believe) you need to be at least 18 months (or is it 21 months?) into the 24 month subsidized contract in order to be eligible to upgrade at upgrade pricing. Otherwise, you have to pay the early upgrade pricing which is $399/499.

EDIT: Oh wait. If you're talking about upgrading from the 1st gen to the new 3G.X, then, my apologies, you are right. 1st gen owners will have no issue upgrading at upgrade prices.

I thought you were talking about upgrading from the 3G to the 3G.X. That's what I was referring to above the EDIT.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Also, it's not useless without a data plan. I'm at coffee shops and libraries every day that provide free wireless. It's entirely worth it to be connected during those times on a device I'd be carrying anyway. I would rarely tote around an ipod touch in addition to my phone.

It's all a matter of opinion. I feel it's useless without it. And spending $600 on an iPhone or $299 on an iTouch plus a free flip phone makes much more sense to me. But again, that's my opinion.

I think $600 to have an iPhone without a data plan is useless and expensive.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
In my view, this is a move to CLEAR OUT inventory ahead of a new iPhone model.

How does a $599/$699 phone clear out soon-to-be "old" inventory? I hardly think people are going to be lining up to grab one.

Besides Apple said last June that ATT would eventually sell no-contract phones. I see this as ATT being a little late.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
finally, a step in the right direction for you guys, and a big one. would be better if it was fully unlocked, but at least you now have some options (instead of that ridiculous $2k mandatory plan).

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Hey folks, I'm from Italy.

Here we have iPhone 8gb at 499 EUROS (that at today's change are 673$) and 16GB at 569 EUROS (767$).

So here:
8GB = 673$
16GB = 767$.

And you know what? I think that here in Italy 80% of costumers has iPhone with no contract. Here contracts are made by a very tiny percentage of the population.
So it's interesting to see how shocked are you from that price that in my thoughs are not so elevated for a total free iPhone (but you are more likely with contracts, I understand).

And here's the deal.

In Italy (and in other few countries) iPhone is completly free. And for "completly" I mean: no sim-lock and no operator-lock too.

So I hope that At&t do the same for all of you.

It's little pricy but then you have an iPhone that is totally yours.

BUT. Of course.

A flat is necessary and so you have to see not only if At&t will get iPhone (really) totally free but also WHAT TYPE OF FLAT at&t will offers for no contract costumers.

Anyway can't wait for 3.0, iPhone is fantastic. A geeky bye from Italy, Angelchild.

same here in Sweden, except you can get unlimited data transfer for 8SEK (about 90 US cents per day). and still have the pay as you go for talking and messaging, which is quite nice if you ask me.

MACingIS4Me

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
Hahaha...

I'm sure AT&T got words from Apple

Apple would release a killer new gen iphone. With more processor power, better battery life (improvement learned from 17 MBP), probably include video recording, more capacity, iChat AV Mobile (front video camera).

That's why AT&T must start cleaning inventories, and why not make extra $$$ while doing so.

Um..did you not just see the new 3.0 release? Apple would certainly not add the video camera. Phone cameras are quite bad, iphone does pretty good but to make an apple worthy video recording they will need one hell of a camera for a video app

jordanbiffle

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
I'm lost help me out here.

1. So this is temporary? Because I hope it changes by June for the new iPhone.

2. If the first question is no, then if I want a new iPhone, I can't just buy a new one and sign a new contract, because when the new one comes out, I was planning on singing a new contract since my 2 years will be up in october with my original iPhone.

Someone pleas help.:apple:

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Well we're not in Europe. That's just crazy, but it's just my opinion.

Well I think it's crazy that most people end up paying $100 or more for the iPhone service in the U.S. I pay about $30 (what you guys pay for the mandatory data plan) for voice, SMS and data. If I don't want data I pay only about 15$.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Um..did you not just see the new 3.0 release? Apple would certainly not add the video camera. Phone cameras are quite bad, iphone does pretty good but to make an apple worthy video recording they will need one hell of a camera for a video app

I don't see how the 3.0 BETA is related to the things previously discussed, it's only a beta that can easily have features added to it in the future, remember Apple is secretive, and right now the 3.0 beta doesn't show anything that would differentiate the iPhone 3G from the next generation.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I'm lost help me out here.

1. So this is temporary? Because I hope it changes by June for the new iPhone.

2. If the first question is no, then if I want a new iPhone, I can't just buy a new one and sign a new contract, because when the new one comes out, I was planning on singing a new contract since my 2 years will be up in october with my original iPhone.

Someone pleas help.:apple:

I think you're confused, they're still selling subsidized iPhones with 2 year contracts, they're just also selling non subsidized iPhones without a contract.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
It's all a matter of opinion. I feel it's useless without it. And spending $600 on an iPhone or $299 on an iTouch plus a free flip phone makes much more sense to me. But again, that's my opinion.

I think $600 to have an iPhone without a data plan is useless and expensive.

In the end we both have our needs met. I just get to spend less money over a period of a couple of years, probably because my current requirements are different.

MACingIS4Me

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
I don't see how the 3.0 BETA is related to the things previously discussed, it's only a beta that can easily have features added to it in the future, remember Apple is secretive, and right now the 3.0 beta doesn't show anything that would differentiate the iPhone 3G from the next generation.

I know apple is secretive, but do you really think that apple would hide something as big as a video camera from developers. With that hundereds of new API stuff maybe some developer could make an app that took advantage of a video recorder. Just a thought though.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
In the end we both have our needs met. I just get to spend less money over a period of a couple of years, probably because my current requirements are different.

How are you spending less money? Do you mean iPhone w/ voice+data plan vs iPhone w/ just voice plan, or iPhone w/ just voice plan vs iPod Touch w/ normal phone w/ just voice plan?

I know apple is secretive, but do you really think that apple would hide something as big as a video camera from developers. With that hundereds of new API stuff maybe some developer could make an app that took advantage of a video recorder. Just a thought though.

Yes, I really do, I mean they (kind of) hid the fact that the iPod Touch 2nd Gen had a full BT stack for how long?

MACingIS4Me

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
How are you spending less money? Do you mean iPhone w/ voice+data plan vs iPhone w/ just voice plan, or iPhone w/ just voice plan vs iPod Touch w/ normal phone w/ just voice plan?

Yes, I really do, I mean they (kind of) hid the fact that the iPod Touch 2nd Gen had a full BT stack for how long?
True, I had that totally forgot about the BT. That's a valid argument. Bottom line though this information from AT&T almost sets in stone that a new iPhone is imminent after WWDC 2009.

italianface

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
Here we have iPhone 8gb at 499 EUROS (that at today's change are 673$) and 16GB at 569 EUROS (767$).

So here:
8GB = 673$
16GB = 767$

[...]

So it's interesting to see how shocked are you from that price that in my thoughs are not so elevated for a total free iPhone (but you are more likely with contracts, I understand).

Angelchild

you are wrong... Prices in Italy are 20% lesss than what you say. You're including taxes (20% in Italy); AT&T prices exclude taxes. This mean that Italian (and pretty much all european) iPhones have an extra price (VAT), imposed by the government, of around 90/100 euros; if you are a business customer you won't have to pay this extra charge.

Beside that, the italian iPhone has a distinctive advantage: it's fully unlocked. Buy it here and use it anywhere in the word, with any carrier and any SIM that you like with fully Apple support. This means: no fuss with upgrades...

American "no commitment" iPhones seems not so affordable to me and, yes, even I'm Italian and I'm used to pay full price for smartphones, I'm pretty shocked by the price as announced by BGR...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If I'm buying the phone outright, I expect a phone to be completely unlocked thus choosing what carrier I wish.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Assuming the ETF for an iPhone is the same as for some generic Sony Ericcson phone (a big if), why not just buy an 8GB for $199 and then pay the $149 ETF?

Even if you do the pay as you go deal, don't you still have to pay for data? Won't that pretty much kill any savings you would supposedly get?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.