AT&T Told Me...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone3gPSU, Jun 13, 2009.

1. iPhone3gPSU macrumors member

So I haven't seen any posts about AT&T saying anything like this to anyone else so thought I'd throw it out there. When I pre-ordered my phone the ther day at my local AT&T store they told me that mine is reserved and I can come anytime on the 19th. He even suggested I wait until later so the rush is over... Said the phone I ordered is mine and it's guranteed all day. Anyone else hear this? I'm planning on showing up at 7am anyway... Don't want to take the chance.

2. fratboy macrumors regular

Yup i was told the same thing.. he said the iphone is SPECIFICALLY for you or it has your name on it.. they will actually hold it for a week .. then they will sell it ... so yeah i am happy

3. SimpsonsFan007 macrumors member

Yeah, you ordered your phone via direct fulfillment - it should say that on the top of your receipt. What it guarantees is that those phones (or that phone) will have your name on them/it, and they are meant specifically for you. What it doesn't guarantee is that the phone will actually arrive on the 19th. If you pre-ordered between the 8th and the 12th, it's pretty likely your phone will get to your AT&T store on the 19th.

4. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

And next week we will all be reading threads about how the AT&T stores "lost" these reserved iPhones and sold them off to people in line.

5. iPhone3gPSU thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it does say "Direct Fulfillment" and it was on the 11th so all should be good. Who knows though. Last year I stood in line for 5 hrs at Apple only to find out I wad out of luck because of having a discount through my employer. All part of the "Getting the iPhone on the first day" tradition!

6. Slypr macrumors member

I was told the same when I ordered on Saturday

7. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

They are paid for by a particular customer so it seems unlikely that this would actually happen.

8. dagomike macrumors 65816

Just +1 same I was told.

I'm off work that day, so I'll probably just get up with the wife and kid like a work day, get ready, and make my way over there. Just in case... Figure if I'm there before 8 and they manage to screw something up, I'll be at the front of the line for general purchases.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

yup one of the differences

between AT&T and Apple where AT&T has them beat a little.

AT&T both in store and shipped orders are custom and held in your name.

Apple orders shipped of course are guaranteed in store pickups are not guaranteed. still depends on the quantity in the store and they have the info too process the sale faster. of course Apple tends to send more units too there stores so it's not likely to run out. mine is being shipped I can always go too a apple or AT&T store and play with it after I get it lol.

10. megapopular macrumors 6502a

AT&T also has them beat because when you go to pick up your direct fulfillment phone you can buy another iPhone for other lines on your account, too! I'm gonna get one for my girlfriend when I pick mine up... And someone in the regular line will be upset!

11. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I think people are expecting way more of a rush than there is going to be ... Not too many people are excited about the iPhone 3G

12. fratboy macrumors regular

yeah totally not.. its just selling out by luck right ?

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

Another time will tell. I think some hands on are going to be involved in this one. plus allot of people will have to wait. Since they Signed 2 year contracts when they got all excited about the 3G. Answers to come the 19th.

14. klb028 macrumors 6502

that's awesome. it's too bad that the pre-orders are already sold out!

yikes. that would be terrible.

15. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Selling out at the quantity produced. It sounds like you assume they made as many 3GS models for launch as they did for the 3G last year. Production definitely factors in demand. Nobody wants inventory sitting around for any given amount of time. They use many factors to help determine how many will be produced at a given point. I'm confident that Apple considered how many would bite on the 3GS over the 3G when they determined how many to produce. It's far from total market saturation but I'd be willing to bet good money that they didn't produce nearly as many for this launch as they did last year. That's not lack of confidence in their product, it's just good inventory management.

16. fratboy macrumors regular

seems like you know nothing about the process ... if we Pre order it.. it has OUR name on it.

and ATT is opening up at 7am for the PRE order people ..which means the people that pre order get thiers before people waiting in line.. so it pretty much cant happen..

17. jalpert macrumors 6502

Actually Apple has AT&T beat here. Since apple doesn't do direct fulfillment to the stores, they will ship it to your house. The ONLY source that states that you will receive a phone on the 19th is apple.com for delivery.

With AT&T, when your phone comes in, it will have your name on it and it will be held for you. However they do not guarantee your phone will come in on the 19th.

18. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Yeah Got "Direct Fullfillment-But Debit Card Weirdness

Well I was glad to read this, but I intend to be there early. One thing that worried me was that when I used my debit/credit card the ATT guy said I have to use it as a credit card. I had no problem with that. When I checked my account online I saw an authorization for the full amount, plus tax. The ATT guy did warn me that it actually wouldn't be charged until it ships. Well okay I thought. So I've been checking all week and saw the pre-authorized amount taken out of my available balance.

Well yesterday I saw the pre-authorized amount had been let go and placed back into my available balance. What? I tried calling the ATT store and could not actually get through to the store. I finally drove out there and they told me well it is a debit card and it has to revert back if it is not actually run through in three days. No worries they said. They would take care of me on the 19th.

Well I'm still worried as I would have felt better if they just took the money. This pre-order thing really doesn't give me a lot of confidence in this process. And the conflicting reports of what it actually means makes me wonder what pre-order at ATT really means? The best case scenario is it seems to mean more than Apple's pre-order if you don't put money down there. But in my case I guess I really don't have money down with ATT as it has reverted back to my debit/credit card checking account.

When I asked them to check the order they said they could not as it was in Apple's hands. Well I really wasn't asking them to contact the factory in China, just confirm it was still in their system. But I gave up with the nagging feeling I'll be lucky if this really goes smoothly on the 19th at 7:00 A.M.

19. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure that they (AT&T) have guaranteed that it will come in on the 19th, granted you pre-ordered in the shipping quantity.

20. CallMeZsaZsa macrumors member

my husband preordered mine at the store on Friday. The ATT guy said to be at the store at 7am on 6/19 to pick up. Does he really have to be there at 7am or will the phone be held in our name?

21. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

It will not be held in your name, it is in your name and just delivered to the AT&T store. You have 7 days to pick-up the phone or your transaction will be reversed and the phone placed into general inventory.

You can check on the status of your order here:https://www.wireless.att.com/order_status/

Dave

22. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

When I try to do that, I keep getting an error.
    I put in my phone number (which is on the receipt), the store zip code (which is on the receipt), but I keep getting an error.

23. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

It may not show up if you ordered recently...

24. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

+1

25. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

And it seems like you know nothing about how AT&T operates.

Good luck getting your iPhone.