AT&T took away my grandfathered unlimited plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aloecool, Sep 21, 2014.

1. aloecool macrumors regular

I used the upgrade on a different line (not unlimited) under the family plan, and called AT&T to activate it on my line (grandfathered unlimited) once I got the phone yesterday. I just realized that they took away my unlimited plan and changed my data plan to the same plan as the one I used the upgrade for. Did this happen to anyone? :mad:

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

3. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Call them ASAP and they should be able to fix that.

4. aloecool thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that, call center closed for the day. Will call first thing in the morning. I can't believe they did this! I hope they don't give me any BS about how they can't go back because unlimited is no longer an option.

If anyone has any experience with this, especially with dealing with CS to get it back, please share!

5. Rayfire macrumors 68030

Rayfire

It happened to me last month while I was trying to activate the G3 on a different line. They took out the unlimited data plan, so I wasn't able to use my phone fully for the rest of the day. Called 611 around 10pm when I finally noticed my online account shows no unlimited data. When you go to the prompts, ask for tech support, they're open. Then explain what happened, they will give you a tiered data plan in the mean time while they submit a case so they can add the unlimited data back. Took approximately 3 days when the unlimited data plan was back on my account.

6. aloecool thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for sharing! I called and went straight to tech support like you said, and didn't get any BS from the CS. She explained the system might not let her add it back on because it is a grandfathered plan, but she will try anyway, and if she can't do it she will submit a case. After trying for about 5-7 minutes, she said she couldn't do it and said she will start working on opening the case, and as long as they can see on my bill that the unlimited plan has been on there, I will get get it back in a few days.

I will update with the progress so others can use the info in the future.

7. lyutin macrumors regular

happened before

I also did 2 cross upgrades, received the phones friday. Activated with an at&t rep on the phone. She said everything is fine - i confirmed that the plans stayed the same 2 lines having unlimited, and the lines used for upgrades (not having unlimited).

A day later both phones receive a text that we used 65% of our allocated data for the month. I immediately called customer service, and they also said that they cant fix it, but will submit an order for a special department to adjust it. Said will take no more than 10 days. It happened to me before few years ago, and everything was fine. But I am also a little nervous, hope they are able to do it.

8. james92se macrumors 6502a

Why are you all calling AT&T and not just swapping SIMs? What am I missing here? :confused:

9. dkh587 macrumors regular

This is easily fixable. AT&T can put your unlimited back on with a call to customer service.

10. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

I was thinking the exact same thing. That's what I'll be doing when the phone gets here, if it ever does!

11. AmyK macrumors member

If you go to the store and get your phone they "always" give you a new sim...

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what I did.
    Everything works great on my iphone 6 plus but the voice over LTE does not.
    I got the text message below a few seconds after I put my old iphone 5 sim in the iphone 6 plus.
    So Im going to grab a new sim from a local AT&T store later.

Attached Files:

13. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Are you on NEXT? or 2 year contract? That's horrible if they now make you get a new sim.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just a 2 year contract with unlimited data.
    They said it needs a new sim to get access to VoLTE.

15. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

I have the same, 2 year with unlimited but I used a different phone on the account to steal the upgrade. Guess I'll have to go in as well then. But considering VoLTE won't be out on Att till mid next year at best, I may not even bother.

16. aquababie macrumors member

aquababie

They shouldn't have taken the plan away. I've used the same grandfathered plan since my 3G. They have never touched it. Definitely call.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same thing I did too.
    You didnt get the same text message?

18. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Didn't get my new device yet sadly, att hasn't shipped it. So I'm starting to think maybe this new phone isn't for me. Might just cancel my preorder and hold my 5s.

19. aloecool thread starter macrumors regular

The two phones that I did the cross with don't have interchangeable SIMs.

The tech support CS that I spoke to was helpful enough, but it's still a pain that it happened in the first place. Crossing my fingers that I get it back!

20. james92se macrumors 6502a

That's what a SIM adapter is for :)

I have currently have my iPhone 5 SIM in my original 2007 iPhone. Conversely, you can also cut down a full-size SIM if going the opposite way.

21. uwdude macrumors 6502a

How can you even tell if VoLTE is working or not? lol I probably couldn't tell the difference.

22. aloecool thread starter macrumors regular

True...but I've called in before for cross upgrades, and it's never happened before. I guess there's a first time for everything.

23. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Got my 6 plus on the 20th, glad to see my unlimited is still there.

24. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Call ASAP otherwise it may be too late! I am sure they have a time period in which they would switch it back (probably 7-14 days)

25. tworth23 macrumors regular

Heads up for future upgrades

Hey guys, in the future when you do upgrades on another line That you will use for yourself, just activate the upgraded iphone and swap sims to your device. Then there is no reason to call ATT or worry about losing unlimited!