Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Something is not right about this AT&T trade in offer....
On their website, these trade in offers will expire in 9/30/2014.

So, those of who are getting phones in October or November...
How's AT&T guaranteeing these trade in values for our old iPhones?

Website describes...

Something is just not right.
Is there way to pre-order online and pick it up at the AT&T store or something?
This is very fishy.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
My understanding is that when you pre-order your iPhone through AT&T they send you a Trade-in promotion code that is good for 30days. You just have to complete your iPhone order by 9/30. This promotion is different from the regular Trade-In listed on the att.com site. Log in to your account and follow the link for the iPhone trade in promotion. You can read the full terms there.
I was confused at first as well, until I checked it out after logging in.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
My understanding is that when you pre-order your iPhone through AT&T they send you a Trade-in promotion code that is good for 30days. You just have to complete your iPhone order by 9/30. This promotion is different from the regular Trade-In listed on the att.com site. Log in to your account and follow the link for the iPhone trade in promotion. You can read the full terms there.
I was confused at first as well, until I checked it out after logging in.

But, AT&T is giving me 3-4 weeks or could be more.... shipping date.

I was worried about that. I don't want to be screwed by AT&T again.

So, AT&T also allows you to take it to AT&T owned retail store? That's what I have read in the website. You can either mail it in or take it to the store.

ORK8

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
My account is with AT&T, but I ordered an iPhone 6+ via the Apple Store app last night. I stopped by my AT&T store today to find out about the trade in. I brought in my iPhone 4 and got an immediate $200 credit on my statement, so it's not tied into ordering through them at all.

I did ask how long it would go on. They said it was due to end at the end of the month, but they expect that it will be extended since most people won't have their new phones by then. HTH

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
My account is with AT&T, but I ordered an iPhone 6+ via the Apple Store app last night. I stopped by my AT&T store today to find out about the trade in. I brought in my iPhone 4 and got an immediate $200 credit on my statement, so it's not tied into ordering through them at all.

I did ask how long it would go on. They said it was due to end at the end of the month, but they expect that it will be extended since most people won't have their new phones by then. HTH

Did you have to give them box and all the accessories? Thanks!

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009

were you given the option of receiving a pre-paid card?

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
Ordered 2 new iPhone 6's today at an ATT store. Traded in 2 old iPhone 4 phones I was not using. Got a $400 ATT promotion card. I don't get the new iPhones until October, but already used the promotion card to pay my next ATT bill due next week. No problem using the card for the full amount of the bill (including taxes / surcharges).

I also just traded in the phones... did not have to turn in any charger / cable which was nice.

$200 each for iPhone 4 was a great deal.

dlai531

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
Anyone know if att is only taking att iPhones or whether I can trade in an iphone from another carrier?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I ordered yesterday and did get the "thank you for your order" email showing the order I placed. Nothing in that email regarding any trade-in promo. According o the website (see below) you are to get a promo code with the order confirmation.

My order shows 9/23-10/2 shipping on the 2 IP6 ordered, so I'm gonna wait and see if I get the promo code. If not gonna call support and make sure I do.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 4.42.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 4.42.30 PM.png
    349.1 KB · Views: 109

ORK8

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
I ordered yesterday and did get the "thank you for your order" email showing the order I placed. Nothing in that email regarding any trade-in promo. According o the website (see below) you are to get a promo code with the order confirmation.

My order shows 9/23-10/2 shipping on the 2 IP6 ordered, so I'm gonna wait and see if I get the promo code. If not gonna call support and make sure I do.

Given your ship date, I'd also ask them to honor it beyond the 30th.

theMaccer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
SoCal
i was told by online rep

"As long as you place your order before that time frame, that locks you in for the Buy Back program."

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Are you able to take advantage of this trade in offer if you are buying a phone outright? Or is it only if you're buying the phone on a plan or something?

EDIT: Nevermind. It can be on purchase at regular / off contract price.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
Thanks guys, for the info I will be turning in my 4s later in the day on Friday after my 6plus is up and running.

aabb111

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Can people share their experiences after they complete the trade in?
I want to know how closely they inspect your phone I'm guessing it probably varies by store/manager but still want to know your experience. I have a perfectly functioning iphone 4 with no history of water damage, but when I look at the bottom dock connector, I do see some red in that little square, which is supposedly the water damage indicator. All the buttons, screen, sound are all perfectly working. I wanted to know if that red would be a dealbreaker and if they check for that with a flashlight. Thank you!

ORK8

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
Can people share their experiences after they complete the trade in?
I want to know how closely they inspect your phone I'm guessing it probably varies by store/manager but still want to know your experience. I have a perfectly functioning iphone 4 with no history of water damage, but when I look at the bottom dock connector, I do see some red in that little square, which is supposedly the water damage indicator. All the buttons, screen, sound are all perfectly working. I wanted to know if that red would be a dealbreaker and if they check for that with a flashlight. Thank you!

No flashlight for me. He just turned it on, checked that it had been wiped clean, then he looked up the serial number & gave me the credit. Easy-peasy.

gopherblue

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
Any idea if they'll accept an iph 4 with a hairline crack? My wife just got a crack on hers. Functions fine and barely noticeable.

dgextreme

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
I order online on Sept 19th, my phone just shipped over the weekend, but I have not received the email with the promotion code. How long did it take for you to receive the email with the promotion code?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.