AT&T transfer cellular issues

BrianSoCal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Houston, TX
3rd year in a row that I’ve unpaired my old AW (series 4 in this case) and have not been able to transfer my AT&T cellular plan over while pairing.

I’ve been chatting with and online AT&T agent for over an hour, now they’re going to have someone call me. It shouldn’t be this difficult :-/

bthompson

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
After last year I just cancelled my line and will reactivate once I get the new watch. Just a total pain otherwise.

Reactions: BrianSoCal

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I’m having issues as well. They escalated. I’m on a new watch plan though. Not a transfer. They can not activate it. They said it’s still showing as reserved. Waiting to see what happens.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
If you are asked to remove the sim from the watch inform the csr it is an Apple Watch.
if you head down that road you may be looking at a long road to recovery

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
How did you do it?
Started with newly activated and restored from backup iPhone 11 Pro Max. Unpaired old watch (Series 4), then went to settings on the watch itself and reset.

Paired new Series 5 and restored from backup. After syncing, it asked if I wanted to set up cellular on a new line or existing line. I chose the existing line (went to my ATT account online to make sure I chose the correct phone number). It took a few minutes for it to communicate with my account and set up Number Sync, and voila.

I powered down phone to make sure I could place a call using my watch.

Then, I repeated steps above for the next phone (my old iPhone XS Max) and next watch (the Series 4). Here, I unpaired and reset the Series 3, which will go to a friend. Daughter is getting Xs Max and Series 4.