AT&T Unlimited Data, iOS 5, and texting...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CIA, Jul 6, 2011.

1. CIA macrumors 6502a

So I'm lucky enough to still have unlimited data on AT&T (and I do use over 2GB a month usually, but not more then 5GB).

With the upcoming iOS 5 and it's new handy messaging feature between iOS devices, it seems that if you send the equivalent of a text to another iOS 5 device it won't count against your text messaging total, but will tick off a little data.

My question is should I, or, can I, drop down from the 1500 TXT message plan I have now back to the minimum, since the vast majority of people whom I text back and forth with are also using iPhones? I think 450 txt's or whatever the low one is now will be more then enough for the few people I text with who aren't using iPhones.
    Will I lose my unlimited data if I alter my plan? I didn't lose it when I upgraded from the minimum to the 1500 plan last year, but then again they were getting more money out of me for that switch, so I understand why I didn't lose the UL data.

Anyone have experience doing this?

2. Centient macrumors 6502

You should drop down to the lowest text plan available if it saves you money and still gets you what you need. Changing minutes and text should not effect your data plan or your 'grandfather' status. You can always check with AT&T to be sure.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The lowest text plan is now $10 for 1,000 or nothing (pay-per-text).

AT&T got rid of the of $5 200 text plan a few months ago.

Options:
    $0 (pay-per-text)
    $10 - 1,000 text
    $20 - unlimited text.

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

You should probably wait a full month of usage first before you drop it, just to get an idea of how much you will still be using.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I wouldn't risk it man. Texting overage charges suck. That's why I got unlimited text. :D

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Correct, and you wont be able to chose the 1500 plan if you switch out.

Good advice

7. CIA thread starter macrumors 6502a

Normally I would agree, but knowing that AT&T (and a lot of carriers) were caught off guard by the iOS 5 messaging announcement, I could see them saying... "Oh, since you don't need our text plans anymore thanks to Apple, we'll also kill your unlimited data. We gotta make money off you somehow!"

I pay $15 for 1500 but rarely use over 1000 (usually in the 800-950 range).
    Once iOS 5 ships that would probably drop to 2-300 actual non iOS messages, and the rest all sent to iPhones.

8. CIA thread starter macrumors 6502a

After speaking with them on the phone, I was able to switch from the 1500 to the 1000 plan without affecting my grandfathered unlimited data. God help me if I ever lose that....

9. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

I've switched text plans probably 5 times within the last year and it hasn't affected my unlimited data plan.

10. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

For clarification, text plans fall into the category of services, not data. You can switch as many times as you want with no impact on your Internet data plan or the term of your contract. AT&T doesn't care it's no different than the BBM BlackBerry Messenger. That's who Apple Copied.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well now his only option is the 1000 messages, unlimited, or pay-per-use.
    He can't go back to his old plans.

12. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Don't forget that if you you drop you're unlimited texting plan you lose out on free mobile to mobile calls to other carriers.