AT&T Unlock 14 day wait time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rfs2005, Sep 20, 2013.

1. rfs2005 macrumors member

I just ordered a 5s this morning. I submitted a request to AT&T to unlock my old iPhone, but was told I had to wait 14 days after upgrading to be eligible for the unlock.

Has anyone ever experienced this, or know of a way to get around it? Also, does the day I purchase the new phone count as the day the upgrade occurred, or does it occur only when I activate the new phone?

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Was it an early upgrade?
    I could maybe see the reasoning for that rule if it was early cuz someone could always return the upgraded phone within the 14-day return period and then still have an unlocked phone that was still on contract.
    But if it was a regular upgrade then your original contract has already been fulfilled and they have no excuse for not unlocking.

3. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

I gave up screwing with AT&T and paid $2 online for an unlock. Apparently they have someone at AT&T that works for them and does it under the table.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

after the request it usually takes a week or two fro them to unlock it. If you need it unlocked now, pay $2 online and it should be unlock in half a day at the most.

5. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I did the same. Got this message this morning:

That seems ridiculous, as the main reason I'd want to unlock my phone is to sell/give after an upgrade.

6. wenstinator macrumors member

This is not true.

I did my early upgrade this morning at 3AM (from 5 to 5s @ $450)

I submitted my old iPhone 5 for unlock at 10AM and AT&T confirmed the unlock 30 min later and said it would take up to 24 hours.

I checked later today on an IMEI checker online and it said it was now SIM unlocked.

I would try again as they did it for me.

I ended up getting $450 for my 16GB Black via buy it now on eBay tonight.

7. zjazz macrumors 6502

exactly the same here with my 4S. Got confirmation within 20-30 minutes that says it may take 24 hours, but restored it anyway and checked online and it says unlocked!

8. JohnOCFII macrumors newbie

Same issue here. Frustrating. Looking now at my old emails, I didn't order my 4S until October 10th, 2011, so maybe they run the "contract" date all the way up to the end, even though I was "upgrade eligible" for the contract renewal pricing on the 5S.

John

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I received the same 14 day wait email. I waited two days after I activated my new 5s before requesting the unlock. I think the person that requested the unlock only a few hours after activating the new phone got in before AT&T's system "saw" that the new phone was activated so soon.

10. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

Can you post a link?

11. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I ran into this just 2 days ago with 2 iphones; i did an early upgrade for 2 lines. AT&T system online said had to wait for the 14 days. I called AT&T and told them the unlock didnt work online, and they pushed it through to the Apple database and was unlocked within hours. give them a ring.

12. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

My phone was unlocked within one day. Did you request the unlock through this website? I think the key is to unlock your phone before buying a new one. This is what i did with two iPhones.

13. 617aircav Suspended

why even waste time with att. The unlocks are so cheap and quick on ebay.

14. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

I called and just requested for an immediate unlock and I was granted it. Guess it depends on the customer service rep, but worked for me! Sold/unlocked my 4S the day after purchasing my 5S.

15. kesmith macrumors member

so i'm debating whether to call in or to go to a store physically because I just had a chat session with aT&T and they told me that it can't be done will under contract..

feedback?!

----------

where can you pay to do this online? ATT seems to be acting like a female right now

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

www.swiftunlocks.com

17. kesmith macrumors member

18. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

the best, they unlocked my 5S in half an hour the day I got mine :)

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep.
    I did over a dozen unlocks with them.
    Nice, easy and fast each time.

20. kesmith macrumors member

did you use a non-ATT SIM to do the unlocking or a current ATT one?

just curious if i need to get another sim card. wanted to do this before i go out of the country in a few weeks

21. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

After getting the unlock; Leave the AT&T one inside and do a restore on iTunes, gives you the unlock msj on iTunes os you know you have it unlocked then restore backup to get it as you had before the restore and travel, buy the sim there and just plug it in.

22. kesmith macrumors member

sweetness. thanks so much

23. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

no prob, just make sure you get that unlock msj to popup in iTunes.

24. kesmith macrumors member

indeed i will keep my eyes out for it

25. Arch Stanton macrumors newbie

How does this work?

So after it is unlocked, does it still work with my AT&T account and original phone number? Is it basically all the same afterwards except it is now unlocked even after restoring in iTunes? Do you just restore from backup and everything is back as it was? Or will AT&T see that it is unlocked and suspend service just to be pricks?
    I know, lots of ?'s but I'm just ignorant on the process.