AT&T unlock code

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fernandovalente, Jul 5, 2010.

1. fernandovalente macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

Does AT&T provides unlock codes for the iPhone 4? If not, is there anyway to get one?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Nope. You have to wait for a software unlock.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

they never have and doubt they ever will unless the Government makes them.

4. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

Thanks! I hope it will be out soon. I don't even need jailbreak, just the carrier unlock :D

5. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

I feel the same way. If I could have just unlocked it without the jailbreak, I'd have done it. I just don't have the desire to tinker as much under the hood. I'm happy with the iPhone the way it is, but I love me some TMobile.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It wont happen for many many years probably unless the Feds step in with some new laws.
    You can always buy a factory unlocked iphone from many countries that sell them like that like Canada, many other countries in Europe, thru ebay etc....
    Obviously the price will be up there but they will forever be unlocked no matter if you update and without the need to JB.

7. chattermark macrumors member

I am currently trying to get my 3Gs unlocked from ATT. I am in the military and travel oversees monthly, so I need a phone that is unlocked. I know that I can jailbreak it, but I could not find anyone at ATT to give me a credible answer why they don't unlock the phone after your contract is over. I have an Iphone4 so I am not using my 3Gs anymore. I have talked to level 4 customer support and waiting for the regional manager to give me a call.

ATT first said that it was Apple who unlocked it, but after talking to the 3rd manager from Apple, they sent me an email saying it was in their contract to make ATT responsible for unlocking phones.

ATT said it was to keep cost down and to keep theft at bay, but the phone is registered to me and I have a contract with them. I will keep trying going up the chain until I find someone who can tell me why I cant unlock a phone that I have paid for and completed my contract obligations. That is like a bank telling you that you cant sell your car after you pay for it. It makes no sense, and until they can give me a reason that makes sense, I am going to keep going up the chain. <M>

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Just so you will know the official carriers do the unlock using Apple's servers.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You have my support. AT&T should provide an unlock if you have no contract obligations, or should at least give a conclusive reason why this isn't available. We know that it's possible for AT&T to unlock them (via Apple) so it's all for "political" reasons, not technical.

10. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

It's not so much political as it is profitable. If phones aren't unlocked then the person buying them has to either stay with AT&T or sign up with AT&T.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    I doesn't make any sense but keep calling and wasting your time is not gonna get you anywhere either.
    Unless the Feds decide to step in and pull some new legislation.

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple can unlock the iPhone.

AT&T doesn't want to because the initial outlay for a new iPhone customer is high (they lose money).

Even with the increased ETF, they would still miss out on , literally, years of revenue, and giving it to another carrier (i.e. t-mobile) would be worse.

Obviously if you purchase an unsubsidzed handset, the hand crafted voodoo of user agreements and service contracts marries you to ATT through various "authorized use" clauses, so you'll still be stuck to ATT.

Applecare for iPhone only works in respective locals, so buying an iPhone in a different country to bring back here (or use elsewhere) is out wrt warranty.

13. chattermark macrumors member

I know the answer is going to be no, but if there isn't someone to put the ******** flag up and go up the chain it will never change. Plus when you go up the chain far enough they call you back.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im all for resistance but it wont get you nowhere bro.
    I wish customer complains would make a difference but they wont.
    If you got time and feel like pursuing it further its up to you. I do wish you luck though:)

15. gr8pics macrumors regular

gr8pics

Speaking of, does normally the unlock get released the same time as the jailbreak?
    Is it the same guys that release unlock as JB?

Anyone tried this:
    http://iphone.unlock.no/

16. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

1. The unlock has already been assigned to comex for everything but the iphone4 on iOS4, from my understanding. To answer you question, I would assume that they would this time because @comex has already been working on the jb for it, however, the dev team is still working on the iphone4 iOS4 unlock.

2. Don't go near that - never go near things like that.

17. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Good luck with that task of sisyphus proportions. As long as AT&T and Apple have their exclusivity agreement, you're not going to get an unlock. It's unrealistic to expect otherwise.
    After you've exhausted and failed at the channels you're pursuing, why don't you e-mail Steve Jobs and explain your situation? That's probably the only way you have any chance of an unlock.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet; is it news or have I just missed it?

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

I hadn't seen it but there are allot of law suits going on. there is one going on against Apple because of it's policy against jailbreaking and warranty . I don't think it matter much until somebody wins.

20. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

I think this one has merit because AT&T should not have the right to withhold an unlock code from someone who has finished their contract or someone who bought a device that is out of contract. AT&T and Apple have already made their money by then. The phone is that person's, free and clear. Issue the unlock code just like you do for every other phone on the market.

21. California King macrumors 65816

Out of slight curiosity, how do iPhones come factory unlocked? It's all software, right? If that's the case, I'm a little surprised this software hasn't been leaked..then again, the DevTeam are the guys who are trying to replicate this software, right?

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

They don't really come factory unlocked.

When you get a new iPhone or your have it reset, you have to plug it into itunes to activate.

Apple's serves dictate whether or not a phone is locked to whichever carrier or if it's unlocked status.

23. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

seems like the dev team should be spending some time on how to fake those communications for an unlock - would be nice.

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Someone (and I think it was the dev team but I'm not certain) said that it's not a viable solution.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats correct.
    Its not possible even though people think its simple.
    If it was we wouldnt be bothering with baseband exploits at all.