AT&T upgrade change...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ijen0311, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I bought a 3G and 3GS on release day, and paid the non-upgrade price for both (in between upgrade price and full price). AT&T always screws me because even though I pay the non-upgrade price, I still have to re-up for 2 years and I'm not eligible for an upgrade when the next one comes out. /rant :mad:

Anyway, I checked my AT&T account for my upgrade date, and it's not there. It only says that I can upgrade NOW at an non-upgrade price. It used to have a date that I was eligible. I wonder if they're calculating things out at this point for an iPhone 4 release? :confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not call them and ask?

You could continue to get upset about this, but I suspect a simple phone call will resolve the issue. Besides why get worked up about upgrading now, when apple has yet to even announce the new phone.

3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Did you at least get a partial upgrade discount?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Because you used the 1/2 discount they gave you from 3G to 3GS. Next iPhone will have no subsidy and I bet it'll be full priced, unless you pay more than $100/month on the single line you plan to upgrade.

5. ijen0311 thread starter macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I'm not upset. I wanted the phone, so I paid for it.

I was actually just wondering why the upgrade date has disappeared, and if this is any indication that they are preparing for the 4 release.

I guess that's what it would be considered. I paid $399 both times. But after selling my old phones, I broke even, so it was not much of a problem.

6. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Call AT&T. You pay them for things like this. Might as well - use them.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You didnt pay a nonupgrade price.
    You got an early upgrade and that automaticly renews your contract and you pay $200 extra than the full subsidy price but alot less than a full priced iphone.
    AT&T didnt screw you, you are just misinformed on how early upgrades work.
    Call up AT&T and they will tell you the exact date you can get a full subsidy.
    Most likelly 18 months since you got your last iphone.

8. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

Don't Think there is a change

I just copied this from my AT&T upgrade page. No different than what it has been.

iPhone Upgrade
    As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 05/25/2010

9. ijen0311 thread starter macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Thanks for the answer (and for reading my post).

I called 611 who said I'm eligible 11/21/10.

10. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I always was told you Qualify for the "Early Upgrade" 9 months-1 year after you signed your last 2 year contract.

And you get the "Full Upgrade" 18 months - 2 years after you last signed a 2 year contract.

Full price is if you upgrade before 9 months.

At least this is how the ATT rep explained it all to me a few years ago.

So for the iPhone it works like this:

(for example the 2gb 3gs)

Time since you last signed a 2 year contract:

0-9months: $699.99
    9-18months: $499.99
    18+months: $299.99

I don't think it really matters to AT&T how or why you last resigned a contract, even if you didn't get a fully subsidized phone at the resigning, it doesn't matter. A partial discount triggers the timer to restart on your full discount date.

As far as I'm Aware the only way around this is the more than $100 month on single lines.

Essentially instead of getting $400 subsidized every 2 years, your getting $200 off every year.

11. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

do you think ATT will offer any special upgrades when the 4g comes out? I have a family plan with 4 iphones on it. We are currently 1 year into our contract and we wont be able to get a full discount til Dec 2010. You think there will be any chance to get a full subsidy in June?

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I love how these threads pop up around new hardware releases like somehow people signed a different two year contract than the rest of us. Check your upgrade date and talk to AT&T. No one here can help you.

13. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

on my att account i get this:

You are not eligible to upgrade at a discounted price due to your length of service. However, you may still purchase a phone/device at the full price. Our records indicate that you will be eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price on 05/20/2010

You are eligible for an early upgrade to an iPhone at a reduced discount. Our records indicate that you will be eligible for an upgrade to an iPhone at a discounted price on 05/20/2010

i think i will be eligible on the date it says for the regular price so yay:D