AT&T Upgrade Swap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Khryz, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Khryz, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

Khryz macrumors 6502a

An AT&T rep just told me on the phone that I need to pre-order the iPhone 4S by calling them if I want to do an upgrade swap.

They told me NOT to order online. They said once I order the phone online using another line on the family plan -- I can never use that phone on a different phone number. It is locked to the number, even if it wasn't activated.

Is this true? This goes against what I've read here, even on the MacRumors iPhone Upgrade Guide.

EDIT: 3rd time's a charm. Spoke to my 3rd rep of the evening who was ON POINT and knew everything. She said it's real easy and happens all the time. Order the phone on the eligible number and when I get it (before activating it in iTunes) call them up and then they will switch the number and you're good. The eligible line will not be affected at all except they renewed the agreement for 2 years.

2. AML225 macrumors regular

I'd call and ask someone different. I'm sure that's a false statement.

3. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I figured that. It seems countless people ordered it online on an alternate number, and then either brought it to an AT&T store or called AT&T up before activating it and they were able to transfer the phone to the correct line and be done with it.

4. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I would like to know this also because I am planning on doing an upgrade swap.

5. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

That is definitely not true. I have done this multiple times. You should have no problem swapping.

6. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

So I can just preorder using the line that has an upgrade then when I receive it I can just switch it over?

7. gogogiraffes macrumors newbie

Correct. AT&T told me to order it on the line that has the upgrade. Bring it in when I get it, and they have to active it with the SIM that's in it. My dads line won't work for 2 minutes, then switch the SIM to my number and poof my dads phone works again.

8. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

They told you that you need to go to a store to do the swap? I thought you can do it over the phone originally ..

9. ckorhonen macrumors regular

ckorhonen

Last year when I did the upgrade swap for the iPhone 4 there was some online form which I used. Filled in my details and when the phone arrived it activated fine.

10. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you bought the phone from the AT&T website?

Where was the online form? During the ordering process?

11. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Couldn't one just activate the phone as is and then switch SIM cards after that is complete? It's my understanding that you can swap SIM cards (between iPhone 4's) at any time...

12. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Yes, that is how it works. Simply swap your SIM's and change your data plans accordingly ( if necessary). :)

13. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I preordered my phone through my local ATT store and had it delivered to that store. I went in on release day and they did the upgrade swap and I was in and out in 20 minutes.

14. Brett0712 macrumors member

Simple as that. I just spoke with an AT&T rep for this very reason. She said just order the phone under the line that has the upgrade. When you get the phone, swap sim cards and activate. You are good to go.

15. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is the difference between physically swapping the SIM card from the old iPhone 4 to the new iPhone 4S and calking AT&T before activating? The latter way your original SIM is dead and you get the new SIM.

No difference?

16. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

OP, just order the phone using that number that's eligible. When you get your iPhone, just put your current sim in that then call AT&T to get the data plan removed from the line you upgraded on (or you can leave it on if you wish). However, that line's 2 year contract will be reset. The AT&T rep is stupid.

17. sportykid2332 macrumors regular

I'm using my brother's upgrade and we are both at different schools pretty far away. He is concerned about his phone losing service but AT&T assured me that it wouldn't happen. How much should I trust this?

18. ckorhonen macrumors regular

ckorhonen

No, I ordered from apple.com at 3am or whatever using my wife's upgrade.

I found the link to the website somewhere online, possibly in a post here. From what I remember, I logged in as my wife, entered her details and the IMEI of the new phone (it was on the email receipt or something) and then my number and it swapped the upgrade.

When the phone arrived it activated straight out of the box. I definitely didn't call AT&T for the swap.

19. beama macrumors member

I was told to add a line, then order the phone and my 3gs would keep its upgrade for future use. Is this correct or can I only get the upgrade price if I upgrade my current phone?

20. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Can I order from apple and have them ship to my house, then call AT&T to switch the correct number to the sim card that comes with the new phone?

21. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gah!

I just called AT&T back again and got someone else and explained the situation and they told me that if I ordered an iPhone 4S under my brother's number, got it in my hand and then called AT&T so they can re-program the SIM that my brother's iPhone 3G would automatically die.

Damnit. Do I need to keep calling them back until 1 rep knows what they're talking about?

22. kupkakez, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

You guys do not have to call AT&T or anything. Simply just take the 2 phones pull out the SIM cards and literally just switch them between phones. It will all register on AT&T's network eventually. I have never had to contact them to swap SIMs.

The only reason you MIGHT have to contact them is to add a data package to your line if it doesn't already have one since the online account manager might not register that you have an iPhone yet.

I swear, it is as simple as physically swapping SIMs. If you don't already have the micro-SIM you can just drop by an AT&T store and pick it up without the hassle of them "reprogramming". Some stores do charge you $25 for it, it's real hit or miss.

23. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I did this last year with the 4. My wife's line was eligible for swap and mine was not. I preordered through Apple, got the phone a day early, called AT&T to activate the phone on my line. Something went wrong and I ended up bringing the new phone and my wifes phone into an AT&T store. The instore rep took care of the rest.

24. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

But my brother has an iPhone 3G so he would need a new SIM to use my current iPhone 4.

I just don't want to buy the phone on his line, then take my iPhone 4 SIM and put it into the iPhone 4S and when I connect it to iTunes, my brother's 3G stops working or something.

I know I am being annoying everyone but I keep hearing 1029239 different things, especially from AT&T reps.