Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Throttle 'em, whether or not you pay a fine. I'm sick of having full LTE reception and not being able to load anything.

the company is being prejudged and that its First Amendment rights are being violated
What the heck? ^

Reactions: davidg4781

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Why do ISPs do this kind of thing? Why don't they just provide unlimited internet ? increase the prices a bit and every one will enjoy the internet.

The demand is there isn;t it? There are other ISPs out there in many different countries that provide this already.

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
Is it good business to throttle these plans? Probably not. But should they be fined a ridiculous sum of money for people that were not willing to read the fine print? I think they shouldn't have to be fined a penny for it. If they do get fined, you won't see any of that money. It will probably kill quite a few jobs as well. No positives will come to the consumers from AT&T losing this.

If ya don't like it, switch.

Reactions: AnsonX10

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
I was affected by the throttling. After many years of paying for an unlimited plan and using an average of 1.5GB, one single time I went over 5GB and got throttled. That sent me on a path that ultimately made me switch to T-Mobile with whom I'm quite happy. One of my justifications to stay with AT&T was the unlimited plan that kept being grandfathered, but what good it is if it gets throttled badly past 5GB. Customer support refused to remove the throttling for the few days left on my phone cycle. I saw no use keeping an old plan without texting and limited voice minutes considering the unlimited voice and text plans prevalent now. Always worried about overages on my other lines.

Now AT&T cannot claim it didn't affect customers or that it was well advertised. It did affect me and I hope they pay the fine and don't get away with this egregious practice.

If you are not happy with AT&T or Verizon, and you are not happy with their plans, or overages I would encourage you to give a try to T-Mobile. It definitely is a more fun ride with John Legere's antics.

Reactions: OttawaGuy

dypeterc

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2012
Reactions: stars_fan

corncakes

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
Manhattan
Just got this notice from AT&T.
5 gigs would be great but this is highway robbery. Where's the class action lawsuit?
Also, when the revolution comes, I'm looking for you, AT&T.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

LucasEVille

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Nottingham & London, UK
Why do ISPs do this kind of thing? Why don't they just provide unlimited internet ? increase the prices a bit and every one will enjoy the internet.

The demand is there isn;t it? There are other ISPs out there in many different countries that provide this already.
Some would argue it's because of threads like the 200gb a month usage thread we had yesterday and the day before. Where someone has used their phone connection as Internet for the whole house after closing their broadband account. If you sell a contract on the word unlimited you should stick to the contracted term, not talk about throttling in the small print.

LucasEVille

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Nottingham & London, UK
The only bad thing is that this fine will eventually be passed on to its customers. ATT doesn't pay it. We do.
Not sure about the USA but in the UK networks tie their contracts to the consumer price index and if they raise their contracts beyond this people have been able to fight and have their contracts ripped up in small claims courts etc

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I have the Unlimited Data plan. I started hitting the throttling this month with Apple Music streaming. I'll now be throttling my bill to $0 when I switch to T-Mobile this fall.

Reactions: Irishman

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I've been asking my husband why we can't switch off of AT&T. He insists we've never had our data throttled. No, but we had our iPhone 6Plus preorders bumped out of order along with a lot of other forum members (we formed our own thread) and had our orders messed up on the order queue for over a month. Some members for much longer than that.

Then when I went to try and reactivate my iPhone 5 their horrible customer service people out in some call center couldn't even do that right. It took two calls and we still couldn't get a new sim sent out to us on time. One arrived late and it was the wrong kind.

This company is just wretched. My husband insists on staying with them because of the grandfathered unlimited data plan and the fact we are supporting his parents phones on our account as well. He also likes AT&T coverage when he travels on business. If it were up to me we'd go back to T-Mobile. I loved their service but their coverage was not good when we were with them.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
Macrumors the most drama queens in one spot. Nobody every said the speed was unlimited.

Sure, no harm involved. I could have lost my job because I couldn't connect to the internet at a reasonable speed. I could barely send an email with the throttled speed. Absolutely absurd statement on ATT's part.

Now that's an absurd statement. Someone needs a reality check.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
AT&T service actually a quality one? Seems like a lot of people dislike them?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Sure, no harm involved. I could have lost my job because I couldn't connect to the internet at a reasonable speed. I could barely send an email with the throttled speed. Absolutely absurd statement on ATT's part.

In which case you will experience slow net speeds everywhere in the world, depends on congestion, work on wifi!

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA

Sprint does it. I can't speak for all areas, but AT&T has the best service in LA and Berkeley from what I've seen, and Sprint's and T-Mobile's services are absolute garbage around here. I'm sure it's more important to most people to have good coverage and fast connections than to have unlimited data. You have to TRY to use enough data to be throttled, maybe by using LTE instead of home broadband.

Last edited:

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
The only bad thing is that this fine will eventually be passed on to its customers. ATT doesn't pay it. We do.
No, I'm sure AT&T pays at least half of it. If they could have gotten away with charging $100M extra from everyone combined, they would have already done it before the fine.

Reactions: Someyoungguy

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Not sure about the USA but in the UK networks tie their contracts to the consumer price index and if they raise their contracts beyond this people have been able to fight and have their contracts ripped up in small claims courts etc
In the U.S., they seem to price it according to the free market. However, when you sign into a contract with U.S. carriers, you're guaranteed the contract price at least until it expires. They can't raise it halfway through or something.

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007

I don't quite buy that logic. They pay it. If they pass it to their customers they become less competitive and might hurt themselves further. There are just some things that you cannot pass along. If you are an AT&T customer and are afraid of you being left holding this bag, by all means, dump AT&T before that happens :)

Reactions: JohnArtist

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Is it good business to throttle these plans? Probably not. But should they be fined a ridiculous sum of money for people that were not willing to read the fine print? I think they shouldn't have to be fined a penny for it. If they do get fined, you won't see any of that money. It will probably kill quite a few jobs as well. No positives will come to the consumers from AT&T losing this.

If ya don't like it, switch.
They made $3.2 billion in profit for q1. $100 million won't do any harm to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.