AT&T users on FAN accounts can continue 2 year subsidized plans right?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wesk702, Jan 3, 2016.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

I thought the faq said fan accounts were able to do the two year contracts. So if I were to get an iPhone 6s Plus 128gb and want to upgrade every 12 months. I would be able to put nothing down but pay like 40 bucks extra a month.

2. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Only some fan discounts where there is some contractual deal with the particular company. Not all fan discounts across the board.

3. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

This only applies to business accounts. So if you work for a company and they have a contract with ATT and they provide your phone (or you pay for the equipment) and they pay the bill. If you just use a FAN to get a discount on personal service you are not eligible for 2 year pricing.

If you want to upgrade every 12 months you'll want to do ATT Next and whichever one of those allows for the upgrade after 12 months..
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2016 ---
    A class action lawsuit for what exactly? Because no one does 2 year contracts anymore?

4. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Your two year contract is up, both parties met their contractual obligations. AT&T is under no obligation to offer another two year subsidy contract just because you want one. There is nothing to sue for, class action or otherwise. Read your contract, you will find a clause that you agreed to, that allows AT&T to change the contract at renewal time. Contract law is what is written and signed to, not what you imagine you like.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Mvnos that use att towers have att coverage.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

MSRP of the phone, an additional $5 per month for the UDP (so $35 per line just for data).

Figure it this way. If you were getting a new phone sibsidized every two years you now pay:
    $450 more per two year + $5x24= $120
    $570 more over your previous two year contract

If you want to divide that's $23.75 per month that your plan has increased. Of course, a very large chunk of that would be due up front. Only that $5 per month would be added to your actual bill.

7. michael31986 macrumors 68040

To keep unlimited and use next it would be pricey. For 12 month next.

I'm not changing my data plan at all.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Are they still allowing next with the UDP? I personally have no idea, but if they do, it's basically the same numbers I put here, though that $450 plus the additional left over of the MSRP of whatever device you are picking would actually be divided over 24 months (or fewer should you choose that option; IIRC 20 months is the lowest for payoff)

Of course, financing through Apple is also always an option. Same cost over two years (actually $100 more since they add in AC+), but it's another option to split the device into monthly installments. I would almost go that route just to have an unlocked phone out the door (if I wasn't choosing to pay outright).

9. michael31986 macrumors 68040

So I pick for example the 12 month one so I can upgrade after 12 months. Would be like 40 something a month.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Yeah, I understand what you meant there. I just didn't realize they were still allowing Next combined with UDP.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2016 ---
    Yeah, I understand what you meant there. I just didn't realize they were still allowing Next combined with UDP.

11. slvr_srfr, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016

slvr_srfr macrumors newbie

slvr_srfr

If I am mistaken please let me know but it is my understanding for Individual Responsibility User (IRU) accounts that are sponsored through CRU agreements and negotiations, you can still sign up for a two year equipment discount only if the phone number in question is out of contract? If it is under contract, then your only option is an installment plan; there is no longer an option to upgrade into a 2 year contract to get a subsidized price?

My frustration is now that AT&T has gone away with this option, the subsidized costs incorporated into the plans you would think result in lower plan costs but from what I am seeing this is hardly the case. Currently I have a FT plan with an IRU discount through my employer and pay approximately $190.xx Mo.. After reviewing through the current plans, it is my understanding the Mobile Value Plan would be $100 for the base charge, $15.00 per phone not under installment assuming 4 phone = $160.00 + tax $10.00 approximately per Mo. $170.00 + $2,599.96 for 4 iphones.

2 years total cost under MVP $4,080.00 + $2,599.96 = $6,679.96
    2 years total cost under current FTP $4,560 + $799.96 (199.99 per phone) = $5,359.96

Now I am very intrigued by the Google Fi project with a $20.00 UVP & UTP with tiered data cost of $10.00 each tier. While through the service uses Sprint & T-Mobile as the core backbone, I am curious how this will take off and impact once they allow iPhones; Android is just not for everyone. Although I've see workarounds allowing to activate the device then putting their sim card in an iPhone, this is just not feasible for me.

Because of this shift, it is suggested the MVO/prepaid market continue to grow as equipment costs continue to rise; as an example is: http://www.globalrewardsolutions.co...le-Top-up_Wireless-Market-Statistics-2015.pdf

12. BentTable123 macrumors member

Was anyone able to get a "free" iphone SE under a 2 year contract with FAN discount?

13. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

att took away 2 yr contracts for most ppl
    in jan.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Subsidies have gone the way of the Dodo, i.e., extinct.

15. aneftp macrumors 601

Yes. Subsidies are gone. Sucks for those of us on grandfathers plan with unlimited data.

So I will just use my phones slightly longer (maybe). Look for promos on att next.

Like Best Buy has $200 Best Buy gift card promo to trade in any junk post paid smartphone for Galaxy s7. So I am trading in my essentially worthless Verizon Nokia Lumia 822 3.5 years old windows phone.

Similar to Sam's club Costco etc giving $300 gift cards (included iPhone 6S/6S plus) on att next Verizon etc installment promo during late 2015 holiday promotions. Or att bogo promo on att next (although att bogo really only good for people who want to add a new line since they spread the credits over 30 months)

16. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Actually, AT&T still offers 2 year contracts (subsidies) on many business accounts even after the January 8, 2016 end of "contracts" for the common customer. Only way to check is to login to OLAM or check your Premiere store web page and check your status.:(

Dave

17. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Yep, 2-year contracts are still offered in my Premier store. I probably wouldn't choose that option, but at least it's there.