Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

selliott

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
Vegas
I visit the AT&T site from my iPhone 6 and it tells me I am connected to Wifi. I'm not connected to wifi, using 4G. Any similar experiences?

(Update) Figured it out - AT&T's site treats 4G as Wifi, you have to be on LTE from the iPhone 6 for it to work. Nice AT&T

Last edited:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It's nice to know that in the US no one is an only child. We all have a big brother.

This is insane! All we are to these companies is a wallet. And the government apparently doesn't care. If we had a choice of switching to a company that cared more about our privacy, I wouldn't mind. But they're all doing it.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Meanwhile...

9163630f9d84aa7184b164ab5cb39f411adb99d7fd19978a9ff1c373a3ecf483.jpg

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Thank for the PSA. I'm going to opt out now.

Here's the link to Verizon (can be from any device):

http://www.verizonwireless.com/myprivacy/

Here's the link to AT&T (must be from your phone, with wi-fi turned off):
http://205.234.28.93/mobileoptout/

Note that this only opts out of getting targeted junk ads, not VZW or AT&T inserting perma-cookies.

Doesn't seems to work. I recall that I opted out of everything ad related from Verizon a long time ago. I just check and I'm opted out of all the stuff. However, when I visited the page, it shows that I'm still been actively tracked. So unless the opted is BS, or there is some flow with the website.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
It's nice to know that in the US no one is an only child. We all have a big brother.

This is insane! All we are to these companies is a wallet. And the government apparently doesn't care. If we had a choice of switching to a company that cared more about our privacy, I wouldn't mind. But they're all doing it.

Unfortunately, our politicians representing both sides are in bed with the telecom lobbyists who funnel them huge ammounts of campaign dollars. These lobbyists have our politicians in their back pockets and that's just the way it works here in the good 'ol U.S.A.

TomTomHatesCats

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
New York, NY
I don't know about AT&T, but Verizon at least sent me a notification that this was happening, so I just followed their instructions for opting out.

But this seems like the kind of thing that all carriers are currently doing or will soon be doing. It's not enough that the carriers make money hand over fist from us, they have to line their pockets by selling our browsing habits to advertisers as well.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Am I the only one who finds it outrageous that these companies are inserting tracking IDs into our HTTP requests? I pay them to transport my data, they have *no* business in altering my traffic in any way, shape or form. How is this even legal? :mad:

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
glad i have vpn on my phone and computers

Wouldn't injecting a unique identifier in all your web traffic defeat the benefits of VPN?

With VPN, Verizon may not be able to directly read your traffic data nor directly see what sites you visit, but the sites you visit (and all the trackers and beacons on those sites) would theoretically be able to see your unique identifier and then their tracking/advertising network could compile your web history despite the VPN.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm guessing there's no way to delete the cookie and UID AT&T placed on my phone?
That's the thing: They are not placing anything on your phone. They insert the tracking IDs into your traffic as it passes through their network. There is nothing you can do about it except encrypting your traffic (using a VPN or forcing HTTPS everywhere).

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
I'm guessing there's no way to delete the cookie and UID AT&T placed on my phone?

This has nothing to do with placing a cookie on your phone. They can already identify who you are based on your phone, but they are now hijacking your online communications and injecting a unique identifier in all your web data while you're on their cellular network.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
This sort of behavior may, in fact, be a violation of law.

The telcos are injecting a unique identifier into your browser; that ID can later be tied to your identity then retroactively correlated with other behavior. Some of that "other behavior" may be protected under the law, such as accessing medical records, etc.

You can be certain that third-parties are already taking advantage of these unique IDs, without ever having any kind of relationship with the telcos.

I would suggest that everyone file a complaint with the FCC, just for starters. Since the telcos are interfering with your connection to the Internet, they might also be guilty of false advertising and/or various forms of fraud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.