AT&T voice over LTE (VoLTE) iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by maugustine, Dec 27, 2014.

1. maugustine macrumors regular

maugustine

I live in Portland, Oregon, where AT&T recently enabled voice over LTE, but I am not getting it on my phone. My friend who has the same phone as me gets it just fine.

I do have my original phone number, which has a California area code. Might this be the issue? Is AT&T enabling volte by area code and not the towers the phone is connecting to? If so, is anyone aware of a workaround? I do not want to change my number just for volte, but would like to use it since I have the equipment (iphine 6 plus) to support it.

Thanks!

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

from my experiments , in order to get VoLTE to work you need to reseed the sim card. i am not sure if they call this reseating or reseeding!!!

power down the iPhone
    eject sim
    wait 5 minutes max
    power on iPhone
    wait for the iPhone to power up , get past the lock screen , and say no sim
    insert sim card

this may require a wifi network, it should even go as far as downloading a new profile

another idea :
    is your iPhone unlocked ?? maybe try a diffenret sim from another carrier just to get another profile to load and then load back AT&T??

reseeding the sim card should give you VoLTE
    if it does not, maybe you can go to the AT&T store and make sure they have the correct IMEI on your account or maybe even make "reprovsion" the sim card. whatever that means.

i called a cell phone company once and i asked them about "re provision " and they had no clue what i was talking about

3. maugustine thread starter macrumors regular

maugustine

No luck. I think it might actually really be based on the originating area code. Which means that VoLTE is actually active everywhere but just being blocked based on what area code your phone is from. Interesting.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The problem with VoLTE is if you happen to jump from a VoLTE tower to a non-VoLTE tower your phone call will drop. It has happened to me so many times on Verizon I just turned it off.

5. solodogg macrumors 6502

If your carrier version is on 18.0, it won't work. Mine did not work with an Indiana area code when in Chicago last month, but now that I'm on 18.1, it works fine, along with carrier aggregation.

Go to settings/general/about and it should pop up telling you there's an update available.

6. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Do a hard reset on your iPhone and when it powers back up it should tell you there's an update available
    VoLte is very limited at this point so check if it's available where you are

7. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Under Settings/Cellular/Enable LTE do you have Voice&Data checked?

8. dyt1983, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

9. maugustine thread starter macrumors regular

maugustine

I downloaded the 18.1 update the other day, which is what made me think VoLTE was finally active in Portland. Immediately my coworker's iPhone 6 Plus was able to call out on LTE but mine wasn't. This all led me to believe it was based on area code and not location.

----------

Yep! :)

10. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

My brother also with a 6 plus updated to 18.1 can use VoLTE but so far I cannot. It must be something with my phone or account. I've opened a ticket on my account and have checked my phone settings. Not a big deal it's not working yet but would like it to.

11. maugustine thread starter macrumors regular

maugustine

How did you open a ticket on your account? I have AT&T. Thanks!

12. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

On of the requirements is your SIM card has to support it. When I upgraded my phone to the iPhone 6 I got a text from ATT that I needed to get a new SIM for AT&Ts upcoming features

To check your SIM card. Go:
    Settings > General > About
    Go down to the ICCID number and check the 9th and 10th digit. If it does not show 27 or 28 for those digits you will need a new SIM card.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB425890&cv=820#fbid=INCXeSEDeP6

13. maugustine thread starter macrumors regular

maugustine

Thanks! That's great information. Unfortunately my 9th and 10th digit make '27'.

14. Desii macrumors newbie

Why is that unfortunate?

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

When calling my wife around town I'm finding that I get it about 30% of the time.

Point is, even if you've got it on your phone and in your area I wouldn't say it's something that's always on everywhere yet. I wouldn't stress out about it too much just yet.

16. maugustine thread starter macrumors regular

maugustine

Because it's not working for me :) I'll just have to wait it out. One day :D

17. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Online chat with a support agent. He looked at my account, completed some tests then sent a ticket to the next level up. Super nice guy. It may be that I just need to wait which is fine, like I'm said just covering my bases to see if I can make it work because that is just how I am.

18. maugustine thread starter macrumors regular

maugustine

Yep, same.

Just curious, is your area code the same as your brother's? Are you in the same area trying to use it?

19. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

We are in the same colored area on the map and have the same area code. Its roughly 45 minutes drive between us but that is mostly due to the type of roads to get from here to there. (not interstate speeds)

20. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Stupid question but how do you know if voice over lte works on your phone? Just by making a phone call and still seeing LTE in the signal bar area?

21. maugustine thread starter macrumors regular

maugustine

Yep. If it's not enabled it drops to 4G when connecting a call. The iphone 6 and up support voice over lte.

22. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I know this is an older message but I wanted to update and say AT&T fixed my issue. Not sure what it was but they sent me a text saying the problem has been fixed. I made a test call and yes, it was fixed. I maintain LTE when I make calls and get HDVoice when I call someone else with AT&T and an iPhone 6.

23. maugustine thread starter macrumors regular

maugustine

Interesting! I suppose you don't have any more details on the fix than this. Mine still drops to 4G when placing a call. Maybe one day! Thanks for the update!

24. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I read somewhere a person just called ATT and they re-provisioned him on the network. You could also just try pulling/reinserting your sim. Assuming you are in a VoLTE area.

25. maugustine thread starter macrumors regular

maugustine

I called a couple of AT&T reps. They tried a few things and said they couldn't figure it out. I guess I'm just stick with 4G calling for now.