AT&T Vs Verizon iPad for Washington DC Area

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jbrady3324, Mar 15, 2011.

1. jbrady3324 macrumors regular

Does anyone know who provides faster service in the DC area? My iPad will be mostly used for streaming video and web browsing. I bought the AT&T version but I want to be sure before I open it

Thanks

2. obey908 macrumors 6502a

3. jbrady3324 thread starter macrumors regular

I know they provide the best coverage, but what about 3g data speeds?

4. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

AT&T has the best speed in the area, imo.

Verizon has coverage, but its not really that big of a difference.

DC is pretty well covered by all the majors, luckily.

5. jbrady3324 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you know what transfer rates you usually see with AT&T vs Verizon? What about metro coverage in stations and tunnels?

6. thmoore20850 macrumors newbie

I'd go Verizon.

I have an AT&T iPhone, but am looking for a Verizon iPad 2. I was told by an Apple guy that if I cracked it open, played with it, and didn't like it, I have 14 days to return it and exchange for an AT&T model.

Verizon works on the Metro, which is pretty cool. I think it also has better coverage around the DC area, though it won't be as noticeable with an all-data device because it will just stall a download rather than hang up a call. I think AT&T is theoretically faster, emphasis on theoretically. My AT&T iPhone 4 drops calls with surprising regularity. It's a good thing I don't really use it as a phone much.

7. obey908 macrumors 6502a

Tests generally always show AT&T to be faster, but from my experience AT&T is pretty crappy in this area. I had the AT&T iPhone4 for about 2 weeks then returned it because of bad service, now I have the vzw iPhone and have no problems.

8. jbrady3324 thread starter macrumors regular

Does it work in the tunnels?

Was the data service crappy or just voice?

9. thmoore20850 macrumors newbie

I believe Verizon does work in the Metro tunnels. AT&T works in some, but not all, of the stations, and no tunnels.

10. jbrady3324 thread starter macrumors regular

So it sounds like Verizon is the way to go in the DC area?

11. Davichi macrumors 6502

I would go with AT&T and not Verizon unless the reception is so bad.
    We are not talking on the phone, are we? No need to talk about voice here. It's about data.

12. obey908 macrumors 6502a

If you can't even get voice, you aren't going to get data.

13. jbrady3324 thread starter macrumors regular

In terms of speed, lets just assume AT&T is faster.. will I see a difference when streaming netflix?

14. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

verizon. all around better quality, above and below ground. Period.

You won't see a different streaming netflix, regardless of the two.

15. thmoore20850 macrumors newbie

My thinking is, I'm going to be on WiFi most of the time. Verizon will give me a good signal most of the time in DC. If I can't get a Verizon signal, I can fire up my iPhone hotspot (mywi) and suck some AT&T data over.

16. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

Thread is for "IPAD" not "IPHONE" Voice doesn't matter. Data only (unless skype.. but that's data)

17. jbrady3324 thread starter macrumors regular

So I am taking it as the speed difference between AT&T and Verizon is not significant enough in DC.

18. thmoore20850 macrumors newbie

Probably none of us know that for sure. My guess, though, is that Verizon's better wireless coverage makes up for AT&T's theoretically faster throughput.

19. obey908 macrumors 6502a

You're not seeing the point of AT&T is so bad that voice doesn't even work in most areas, so there is no chance of data working

20. thmoore20850 macrumors newbie

I think voice and data are two different radio networks, which is why you can do both simultaneously on AT&T. So there's probably some correlation between crappy voice signal and crappy data signal, but I don't think one determines the other.

And as I said above, a data connection that drops out for a moment or two is not a big deal -- everything just chills out until you get signal back -- but with voice, your call gets dropped.

21. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I can't stand AT&T but the service in DC is quite good. 3g data speeds are very solid within the city and are ok in Arlington or other areas right outside

You can't go wrong with either, imo

DC is covered well by both

22. jbrady3324 thread starter macrumors regular

23. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T, and I'm definitely getting a Verizon iPad 2. I've been traveling a lot recently (Boston, NYC, Philly, Chicago), and I've had absolutely terrible service with AT&T. Data is very fast with great coverage, but this is rare.

More often, even with 5 bars of signal, I'll get unusably slow data speeds. Sometimes, EDGE is even faster than AT&T's supposed "3G" in the major cities. Plus, Verizon has much wider 3G coverage anyways.

24. obey908 macrumors 6502a

25. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I have both AT&T and Verizon for personal and business use respectively and both carriers, IMO, are almost identical in the D.C. area. Any difference is marginal at best. However, if you travel often, I would get Verizon because their coverage is much better nationwide, especially in rural areas.

I, myself, plan on getting a Verizon iPad because although I live in the D.C. area, I travel to the country quite often to visit family where cell towers are scarce, and if you don't have Verizon you're pretty much screwed.