AT&T wants my Original iPhone back. EDIT: Not anymore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ouimetnick, Aug 1, 2009.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

So I followed the instructions from here, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406 and got a blank AT&T Sim card. I put it in my replacement iPhone. I was on the phone with an AT&T rep who I talked too while activating my iPhone. Because I only want to use it as an iPod touch, she said activate it, and then cancel it with in 30 days. She also stated because I already own the phone, at&t would not ask for it back. WRONG! I called last night to cancel, AT&T wants me to return my old Original iPhone whos warrenty expired yesterday, back to the Apple store. I don't have anything but the Phone. I bought this from my neighbor who upgraded to the 3G last year. What do I do, pay the ETF, or GIVE BACK MY OWN PHONE?

What would AT&T do about my KRZR K1 that I bought unlocked from Motorola's website? Or that KRZR K3 from Hong Kong?
    Please help me guys. I've already owned the phone about a year before activation and WILL NOT GIVE BACK MY OWN PHONE. I also will not pay the ETF.

I just wanted to use it as an iPod touch, with out hacking in anyway.

2. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Sounds like they are reading off a script.

You didn't get a subsidized phone, so I wouldn't worry about it.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

AT&T can't ask for your phone back if its not subsidized. Also, AT&T should not ask for your iPhone back if you bought it from your neighbor.

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

They've got it wrong, just speak to a supervisor and explain fully what you did.

5. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I did, and the supervisor said because I'm under a contract, they can't do anything about it. See, I had an issue with my camera, so Apple sent me a replacement. Instead of using my brother's sim card to bypass the connect to iTunes screen, I used a new blank sim card to do it. So i got a new number. I called twice and spoke to two different people about it and spoke to their supervisors and both said the same thing.

Am I screwed. What if this happened with my KRZR from Hong Kong. Would they say fly back their and return the damn phone? ;)
    I always thought If you already owned the handset, and activated on post paid, canceled in 30 days, it just ends the service. They did not discont the phone in any way. How would I return a phone with out the box? I could understand this if the subsided the phone say an iPhone 3GS, but this is the old rusty metal one were talking about here.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You should never have to return the original iPhone because it was not subsidized. You're safe I think.

7. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I hope so. I posted this same thread in Apple' own Forums and AT&T's Forums, So I will print these posts out and bring them. I really wish I had recorded the conversations i had with these reps.

8. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Update

Okay, I got back from the AT&T store and here is the news... Good news...
    I activated my replacement iPhone on Thuresday, and when I wiped my bad iPhone, I put the active sim card in it to make sure everything was gone. This made my 30 day trial turn into my account saying I had upgraded and re-newed my contract. So I told her that I just wanted to make sure the old phone was erased and want to use my new iPhone as an iPod touch and she reversed my contract, So I'm contract Free! But I told her i don't want any service with them at least Post paid, So she canceled my account. I now have an iPhone that says "No Service" and I can update/restore the FW with out the connect to iTunes screen.

In short, I'm good. No service and I can keep my iPhone.