Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

/user/me

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I have an iPhone 4 bought on eBay and I just called ATT CS and they shut me down :(. Hopefully in a couple of days they'll budge!
Maybe the CSR didn't know about the new policy?? It's also not April 8th yet, so i'm not surprised that you got shut down really.

DivineEvil

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
Maybe the CSR didn't know about the new policy?? It's also not April 8th yet, so i'm not surprised that you got shut down really.

I hope it's as what you said. :) I hope they update their system and send a memo to the CSR
P.S. I'll try again on Monday ot Tuesday since they will get hammered on Sunday with requests about unlocks :)

/user/me

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I hope it's as what you said. :) I hope they update their system and send a memo to the CSR

After I wrote this response I was thinking about something: something so huge and unprecedented must have been shared with the people in call centers. I'm thinking that they were told that they would have an influx of people trying to bypass the system and get it done early, and they told the CSRs that they wouldn't be able to unlock phones early or risk their job. It's slightly outlandish and i'm not sure if it's true, but it makes sense. :) :) :) I hope you enjoy your soon-to-be-unlocked phone :) Good luck!

DivineEvil

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
After I wrote this response I was thinking about something: something so huge and unprecedented must have been shared with the people in call centers. I'm thinking that they were told that they would have an influx of people trying to bypass the system and get it done early, and they told the CSRs that they wouldn't be able to unlock phones early or risk their job. It's slightly outlandish and i'm not sure if it's true, but it makes sense. :) :) :) I hope you enjoy your soon-to-be-unlocked phone :) Good luck!
Thanks and if I succeed I'll unlock my bro and my mom's 3GSes I bought also on ebay :)

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
Called AT&T today to ask about the unlocking. The rep told me that they had a meeting on the topic and the answer is "no", they are not unlocking iPhones and that they don't have plans too. Lets see if the answer is different tomorrow. If it's the same, I'm buying the Gevey Ultra S SIM.

/user/me

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Called AT&T today to ask about the unlocking. The rep told me that they had a meeting on the topic and the answer is "no", they are not unlocking iPhones and that they don't have plans too. Lets see if the answer is different tomorrow. If it's the same, I'm buying the Gevey Ultra S SIM.

That's cute. Especially after Att's statement

Last edited:

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Do you guys know if the iPhone's IMEI is tied to the account? I have a friend who has ATT and his contract is ending but he doesn't require an unlock. Maybe he can give them my IMEI if it isn't tied?

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Just called they unlocked my on contract 4S after 20 minutes of complaining so when I go on my birthright trip to Israel I'm free of vile roaming rates HAZAH

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Just called they unlocked my on contract 4S after 20 minutes of complaining so when I go on my birthright trip to Israel I'm free of vile roaming rates HAZAH

Wow, so this is happening earlier then expected.

DJsteveSD

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
Dallas, TX
?

anyone else have any luck? I've called twice and did the online chat thing. Most had no idea what i was talking about and when I ask them to check with a manager they came back and gave me a vague excuse to try back Sunday...:confused:

I also happened to be near an AT&T store so I dropped by and they were clueless about it, tried to give me the usual spiel "at&t doesnt unlock iPhones cause we're butts" ok, the butt part was added by me...

Last edited:

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
I hope they unlock my 3GS.
It's already unlocked on BB version 5.13.04, but I'd much rather have an official unlock.

I'm on AT&T's prepaid plan though... $25 bucks a month is pretty damn good for having an iPhone. I'm thinking of jumping to StraightTalk for unlimited everything... But if I do that I need to replace my battery. It doesn't last near as long as the 8GB 3GS I had, and using data on my trip to Seattle I only get ~6 hours before I have to plug it in...

Last edited:

Gangalanga

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2011
I called twice.... no luck

First early morning, the rep gave me the same crap as usual, iPhone cannot be unlocked, blah, blah, blah...

I just called and the rep said the same thing, although he took my imei and entered it somewhere (like any usual phone) and said it did not give him an unlock code... which is not the right way as I would have to tether the phone to the computer to unlock it.

All this leads me to think that this either is not for real.... or they have no clue.
frustrating.:confused:

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Patience

ATT system should have a way to do this Unlock thing, wait till tomorrow morning or give it couple of days.

I am waiting to unlock iPhone 2g and 3G which I passed to my family....

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
First early morning, the rep gave me the same crap as usual, iPhone cannot be unlocked, blah, blah, blah...

I just called and the rep said the same thing, although he took my imei and entered it somewhere (like any usual phone) and said it did not give him an unlock code... which is not the right way as I would have to tether the phone to the computer to unlock it.

All this leads me to think that this either is not for real.... or they have no clue.
frustrating.:confused:

It's not April 8th yet. And even though it will be in a few minutes, the memo probably won't go out until some time tomorrow morning

----------

ATT system should have a way to do this Unlock thing, wait till tomorrow morning or give it couple of days.

I am waiting to unlock iPhone 2g and 3G which I passed to my family....

Your 2g can be permanently unlocked without AT&T. Once unlocked via jailbreak, the 2g stays unlocked forever. Even after restore.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
That's what I'm hoping for... I've got a iphone 4 that I bought off ebay... hopefully all "clean" att iphones get unlocked irregardless of who owns them right now.

According to the AT&T verbage, if it is still within the original customer's contract period, it is not eligible for unlock.

Most iPhone 4's would have been bought with a 2 year contract, but some may have been eligible for an early upgrade. So I think it just depends on when the iPhone was originally bought. If its still covered by the original 1-year warranty, then probably no unlock yet.

Korea

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
Yes, id like to know where this statement came from. I couldn't find anything from AT&T's press release website.

jw6961

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
The CSR I spoke to earlier this afternoon took my IMEI number and said she had to forward it to the technical department. She said that someone would get back to me by April 16. She also texted me a case number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.