AT&T won't bump my contract date nine days -HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cparker94, Sep 9, 2014.

  1. cparker94 macrumors newbie

    Sep 9, 2014
    Ok gang. I went on the Apple website to select my phone to get an idea of what it would cost. I want the 6 Plus, 64gb. $399 with a two year plan. However, I know I'm in contract with them so I knew I'd be paying full price. When I got further along it said I'd have to pay $849 today or wait until Sept. 21 and pay $649. Crazy to have to wait 9 days to save $200 so I decide to call AT&T. They said that there was no way for them to bump my date up 9 days. They said their system doesn't allow it unless you are doing a transaction. They also told me the only way to save $200 was to go to an AT&T store in the 12th and ask them to bump my date 9 days while preordering my phone with them. I told AT&T that I want to be among the first people to order the phone (2:01am Friday central time) and the AT&T store isn't open. They said I was out of luck. Anyone else have this similar of an experience? Anyone have any advice for me? I don't want to shell out the extra $200 and I don't want to wait until the 21st and risk the good possibility of no supply due to high demand. Thoughts??? Thanks! Craig from Texas
  2. errant macrumors member


    Nov 15, 2012
  3. Minhimalism macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2012
  4. mateo124 macrumors regular

    Oct 15, 2011
  5. bwahahahah macrumors newbie

    Sep 9, 2014
  6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    Unless you can convince AT&T it looks like you'll have to wait. It won't kill you.;)
  7. luisn17 macrumors member

    Jun 23, 2008
    Miami, Fl
    Wait. Aren't we all in the same boat? I got my iPhone 5 on launch day and this will mean if I place my order on thursday night it will be days before my contract is over......right?
  8. 617aircav Suspended

    Jul 2, 2012
    Skip the phone then if the two options in front of you are not viable.
  9. cparker94 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 9, 2014
    Yes, I believe it is a strategic move by Apple to get more money from us. I would like to wait -- I just don't want to have to wait weeks for one. I've always had the newest iphone on launch day since 2007 and I guess that streak will end unless I can convince AT&T to move back my date nine days.
  10. TahoeDust macrumors 6502

    Jul 2, 2010
    I pre-ordered my ATT IP5 from Apple and got it on launch day. Both the ATT sight and Apple sight says I am eligible for the full subsidy.
  11. bwahahahah macrumors newbie

    Sep 9, 2014
    lol man apple gets the same amount of money weather you pay the full price yourself or if att subsidizes it for you. if you bought it at the $400 price by renewing your contract att would pay apple the $450 difference meaning apple still gets $850 no matter what.
  12. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040


    Apr 7, 2012
    Just go to the store on launch day, they will do it then.
  13. luisn17 macrumors member

    Jun 23, 2008
    Miami, Fl
    Ok, me too, I just checked and eligible for upgrade but notice a 40 bucks upgrade fee.
  14. bnekic macrumors 6502a


    Sep 19, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    AT&T won't bump my contract date nine days -HELP!

    Just do AT&T Next
  15. mateo124 macrumors regular

    Oct 15, 2011
    Noticed this as well. Got my 5 at launch, originally wasn't suppose to be eligible until the 17th but it appears that's not the case.
  16. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a


    Jun 22, 2010
    Att stores never have sufficient supply to meet demand for the phone.
  17. MareLuce macrumors 6502a

    Sep 26, 2010
    Not what AT&T told me...

    I called AT&T.

    My contract is up in November on the iPhone 5.

    However, they told me I was still eligible for the on-contract price and could pre-order one on the 12'th.
  18. dakota747 macrumors member


    Sep 24, 2013
    try this link to check your eligibility:
    we have 10 lines on our phone plan and some of the contracts were up late this month, however they show that they are eligible for the upgrade.
  19. Nee412 macrumors 6502

    Jun 25, 2010
    Sunny England!
    You have two options wether you like it or not. Cough up extra money or wait 9 days.

    Honestly dude wait 9 days. It's 9 simple days. Sure it could mean anywhere up to 2 weeks of waiting to recieve your new iPhone, but at the same time it's $200 man. That's a fair bit of cash considering the small waiting time.

    Keep in mind this could be your phone for the next 2 years. Be patient, enjoy unspent cash and a new iPhone. Double win.
  20. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

    ET iPhone Home

    Oct 5, 2011
    Orange County, California USA
    All this over a freakin' phone.

    I'm waiting Thanksgiving, 2 months, to get the official factory unlocked. There will be plenty of phones by the 21st.
  21. andyx3x macrumors 65816

    Mar 1, 2011
  22. Nikos macrumors 68000


    Nov 20, 2008
    New York
    One of my contracts is up on the 14th. Upon checking the Apple site other day, it said I'd have to pay more unless I waited until the 14th but today it's saying that I'm eligible for two-year contract prices.

    I never called, it happened on its own.
  23. maokh macrumors 6502

    Jun 9, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I had to replace an iPhone on my plan earlier this year. I was offered some insane price ($549) that $200 less than a full ($749?), unlocked version, but required a 2 year contract!

    I just bought the $749 iPhone unlocked for my wife.

    I'd highly suggest springing the extra if you are forced into a similar situation. Its not worth the 2 year contract for $200. It also gives you the opportunity to switch carriers, sell it at a premium later, roam international, or at least have the freedom when you want to upgrade next.

    Next is a great option if a cash flow issue is preventing you from buying the phone out right, but its not the cheapest in the long run.
  24. kappaknight macrumors 68000


    Mar 5, 2009

    I don't think you have to wait that long to get it unlocked. Didn't they just pass a law about that?
  25. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

    Feb 3, 2010

    The fact that you admitted that out loud.. pathetic.

Share This Page