AT&T Yes there will be a 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pugnut, Oct 23, 2007.

1. pugnut macrumors 6502a

The 3G iPhone

As my allotted 15 minutes were winding down, I asked Stephenson why AT&T introduced the slow EDGE network for the iPhone, which is one of the reasons I am not using it any more. “Steve [Jobs] wanted to have ubiquitous coverage for the iPhone, and you have to remember it was two years ago when 3G networks were not everywhere,” Stephenson said. So they went with the slower EDGE network. So does that mean there will be a 3G iPhone soon? “Yes, there will be a 3G device,” is all he would say.

http://gigaom.com/2007/10/23/chat-randall-stephenson/

2. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

3. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Rebate!!!

Seriously though, I will buy a 3G when it covers my area nicely, and keep my current iphone as a backup just inc case.

4. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

Haven't Apple already confirmed this like 3 times? :rolleyes:

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Of course theres going to be a 3g iphone... but i don't think the reason the current one isn't 3g is due to coverage.... 3g is backwards compatible with EDGE ...

I still think it was due to battery life.

6. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Purpose --

It is nice to hear a ATT Exec mention it. I never intened it to be a breaking news event.

You all need to relax a bit

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

8. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

9. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Thank you...

it's like how your PS3 can read PS2 games... but your PS2 can't read PS3 games...

11. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

This just in... There will be a 16GB iPhone.... I swear.

12. tom5304 macrumors regular

The EDGE network is essentially useless for me. Today I was at the UPS store shipping a package and I needed to grab an address from my eBay account. I had to go through three windows to get the address, and each window took about two minutes to load.

Six minutes to access some information on the internet. Useless.

Great phone, though. Great browser, too, when wifi is available. The iPhone iPod is also cool. But EDGE? POS.

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It took me no more than 2 minutes to cancel a order on amazon, which is around 3-4 windows. I used the PC version too, not their iPhone beta site. I had half bars on my signal, and I am in a large office building.

Edge isn't lighting fast, but it has been pretty damn quick compared to what I've heard from people here. Maybe its my area, but I don't have many complaints about EDGE. Or maybe people expect too much and like to whine...

14. tom5304 macrumors regular

Right. Expecting simple pages to load in under two minutes is expecting WAY too much from a $400 device. :rolleyes:

Sometimes EDGE works okay. Sometimes it crawls. What use is it to me if it crawls when I need it? None.

Oh, and your counter-whining is no more attractive than anyone else's whining. :p

15. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Everyone knows there will be a 3G iPhone, it is just a matter of when the chips don't take a lot of battery life or a lot of space in the phone. I am guessing there will a 3G iPhone in time for the Holiday season.... 2008.

16. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Holiday season 2008, iPhone = 16 gig, 3G, GPS and what ever else Steve is throwing in there. Problem NOW is the 3G takes too MUCH battery and Apple does NOT NOT NOT want to go thicker for a battery. I read this on the net.

Sold my Iphone and miss it bad, guess I am going to have to buy another and deal with the locking and all that cause BlackBerry is cool but with rumors of Micro$oft buying them its too scary. S Jobs is doing good and covering his ass. Switched to Apple last March and HAVE NOT looked back and I do NOT have winblows running on my MBP, never have, never will.

17. Low macrumors member

but you knew were you going to be at the UPS store? shouldnt you have planned ahead and got all the information you need to speed up your process? or did you just need a reason to take out your iphone in public to show off? ;) but it failed miserably cause edge is (and we all know it was) too slow. dont expect miracles from a "$400 device."

even with my "$400 device", i still plan ahead cause i know the limits of my iphone.:)

18. tom5304 macrumors regular

Wow, that's kind of a dick response. :eek:

So let's see, I shouldn't use my iPhone in public, I should absolutely plan ahead for every contingency so that I should never have to use my iPhone in public, and I shouldn't ever mention that EDGE on the iPhone can sometimes be so slow that it makes browsing with EDGE useless.

Hmmm. You guys...

19. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

How do you figure its a D response?

I have to agree with the other poster, even if I had any other device I would NOT count on it. I dont care if its a BB or HTC or what? The guy shipping should have been prepared and or printed out the information from the eBay sale and brought it with him or her if its a woman.

Your talking a PHONE with extra's , not a freaking laptop or desktop with a highspeed internet connection, even if it was 3G it would NOT have been fast enough for him to stumble through his sites and emails, and besides all the UPS stores here in ALBANY NY and surrounding areas have FREE computer or computers for the shipper to use for such things.

:apple:

20. Low macrumors member

didnt mean to come off so harsh..but dude, you've had the phone long enough to know its limits. did i ever say not to use the phone in public? sheesh, lets not be a primadonna now. people who have/dont have iphones know how slow edge is already....sigh. oh well.

no need to get all jumpy...a little planning does help ;) have fun.

21. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Its all good and we all LEARN.:D

22. Low macrumors member

:D:D

23. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

Leave Britney Alone!

We live in a world that moves faster and faster. The amount of information and tasks that one must carry out and complete has become mind boggling. Maybe Tom was prepared but he just forgot a detail… It’s happens to everyone… It’s called being human. But I guess that doesn’t happen to apple fanbois.

Anyhow,
    I think he had a very valid point. He paid his hard earned money to utilize a device that was going to allow him to do things like access his ebay account. EDGE is slow…

Telling him to be more prepared is like telling someone who bought a Porsche to drive the speed limit… Well in this case at least the Porsche can break the speed limit. Why purchase a sports car if you aren’t going to drive it fast? Why buy an iphone if you aren’t going to use it as it was designed?

I think it was a very dickish response.

24. Chakalaka macrumors member

3G is cool and all but how about putting up some more freakin towers up so I can get reception at my house and not get so many dropped calls first.