At the Gym

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MICHAELSD, May 4, 2015.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Now, for the real questions gym junkies want to know...

- How comfortable is the Watch for cardio and weight lifting? Does it get in the way? Am a bit worried about hitting it with a weight one day.

- Is excess sweat wearing the body or band? The fluoroelastomer band should be able to withstand it fine.

Bonus:

- How many bros bro you over having a Watch?

2. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

Ive used with for a full body workout and found it pretty comfortable.
    You should keep on eye on where your hand is though it shouldn't be a problem. Your biggest worry might be others accidentally hitting it :p
    Sweating shouldn't be an issues unless you're doing heavily cardio. You could always tighten the band too

People will notice the watch especially if you've got a hulk flavored one ;)

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I've done TRX, yoga, elliptical, treadmill, and dumbbell/kettle bell exercises for the last week without issue.

The sport model and flouroelastomer band has held up fine. I wipe everything down with a damp cloth every couple of days.

No one has said a word to me about the watch, although I do catch people staring at times. I try not to make a big deal out of using it there. I'm not there for the attention.

4. elemenohme macrumors regular

I used to wear a Timex Iron Man, then a Pebble, now an Apple Watch. My wrist was a little itchy the first few days with the Apple Watch, but now it's fine. I really like the Sport band since it tucks under itself and never gets loose like most watch bands do when you move around and they slip out from under the little thing that hold the end in place.

I've been wearing my watch all the time, like I always have worn whatever watch I own, and it has been fine through lots of workouts, raking the yard, and digging in the garden.

I'm too told to be a bro, so I can't speak to your final question :) I have had a few "is that an Apple Watch?" questions but that's about it.

5. Swolemaiden macrumors newbie

I lift about 4 days a week and cardio for 1-2 days. I can finally track my HR during lifting and have accurate calories for HIIT and elliptical. Very happy. It’s not bothering me except when I do bis and tris I have to turn it so the display is on the inside on my wrist otherwise it gets awkward with the cable machine and the rotating handles. Other than that little thing I don’t have any issues, very useful for controlling music, calls, txts without having to fiddle with the armband and the phone.I Think like one person who usually lifts when i do asked me if that was the apple watch and asked some questions about it but other than that nobody really cares lol people are there to get **** done

6. linhromrom macrumors member

the sport band is extremely comfy. It actually much more comfy than any other watches that i've worn to the gym in the past (im always wear a watch).

Sweat wont be an issue since it can be washed very easy. Again, much easier than any of my other watches lolz

Though only worry is the expose pop up glass of the watch face. If you accidently hit it with anything, it might break ... Ive seen so many around the net. And also, compare to my other watches, the faces are protected by the bezel, the Apple watch is different, the face is the first contact point .....

7. mathewbhavnani macrumors member

I don't wear mine to the gym....its in such a high risk zone to get damaged that it doesn't justify using the activity tracker when at the gym facility

Might as well just track your activity outside the gym then!!! What happens if you break the watch from some situation when working out? How are you gonna track your activity with a broken apple watch? ;)

Better safe then sorry....its not a cheap device like in the price range of a pebble or something

8. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Why buy a car and drive it, since you can possibly get in a car accident? Just leave your car parked in the garage and don't drive it since it'll be expensive to replace.

SMH

9. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Ferrari/Lamborghini logic.

10. mathewbhavnani macrumors member

Its different when driving.....
    first, I have car insurance and no apple care lol

Second, everyone else around you is careful not to get into an accident as well...at the gym, you can easily hit your hand on a handle and bam, that's it

Third, for many a car is a necessity and is needed for so many situations based on the individual whereas the apple watch is a luxury, it is a smart watch and definitely not a "NEED" and if you wear it as a luxury, treat it as so

I can go on and on but the bottom line is that I, personally, want to value my things and if I don't feel like possibly damaging it at the gym, I don't want to bring my 600 dollar watch to its death pls

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Worn mine about 8 times now (8 weight training with 3 cardio, also 4 outside runs) and so far no problems. I have used plenty of other sport watches (with acrylic crystals) without a problem. I'm a little more concerned about my :apple:Watch because the crystal is so exposed. However I did buy it to record and inform and it can't do the job unless it is on my wrist.:D

12. Trigeeks macrumors member

Trigeeks

Does anyone workout with a stainless steel AW with sports band?

13. GeorgiaPower macrumors newbie

The watch has been comfortable while lifting. I was a little worried about singing it the first day, but so far so good.

There was big descrepancy between the calories burned on my watch and what was on the treadmill, not sure which is the more accurate total.

14. LxTxNx macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

I've ised it at the gym everyday since I received it and find it comfortable and informative. I use it to control my spotify, workout tracker, heartbeat, rest between sets etc.

15. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I would probably trust the watch. The treadmill may not have access to your weight, gender, age or HR. All of which can be used in the algorithm to calculate calories burned.

Not sure how Apple calculates calories though, but in my experience, treadmills are usually very crappy at it.

16. Bigboi macrumors newbie

I would use the watch for cardio but as far as weight training I would not use it.

17. digduggler macrumors 6502

I love it. I've used it for weight training, interval and cardio. Some observations:

- I tend to tighten it one notch for workouts
    - I LOVE being able to leave my phone in the locker. BT headphones and synced playlist FTW
    - If you do do that, be sure to turn off BT on your phone. There is currently a bug that if you come in and out of range of the phone the headphones cut out and you have to manually enable again
    - Activity/Move tends to take a few minutes to catch up with what you've been doing.
    - Biking for me is hit and miss on whether the watch picks it up. I really have to push it to get it to register.
    - It's been noted that the calories burned on the watch tend to differ from other devices. One theory is your age is taken into account where other algorithms use a standard 20 something year old male. One user set back his age 30 years and sure enough the same exercise burned more calories.

I bought the Sport to use it like this so I'm going to use it. I love finally having a fitness tracker/HR monitor. And phoneless for me working out is a real joy.

18. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Thanks for posting. Can't wait to get my watch and try it out at the gym.

19. Fynd macrumors 6502

What do you mean by this, register? Wouldn't you just select Cycling as a workout and start it?

20. alywa macrumors 6502

Yes. No problems, no worries. Wish I felt safe / confident enough to swim with it on.

21. ahwman macrumors member

Your post is very helpful, as I was working out at the gym recently with my iPhone in a locker and a pair of BT headphones paired to my watch, but kept noticing the headset would say out of range when walking around different parts of the gym. I assume it's exactly as you deseibe with the watch and iPhone going in and out of range.

If I disable Bluetooth on my iPhone, will I still receive alerts on my watch as my iPhone is connected to WIFI provided by the gym.

22. daymouse macrumors regular

Only thing missing for me to go phoneless in the gym is an app for interval circuit training. Currently use seconds app on my iphone. They've stated that theyre not doing a watch app until Apple open up the API and they have full access so fingers crossed for WWDC!

23. digduggler macrumors 6502

You don't necessarily have to do that - the monitor is on an intervals. When I'm jump roping, jumping jacks etc I don't set an activity. I probably just wasn't cycling hard enough to get my heart rate up.

24. digduggler macrumors 6502

Wifi will get you only three things:

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd0443fb403

1). Messages
    2). Digital Touch Message
    3). Siri

I have used Siri to send messages while just on wifi and it works really well.

25. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Does anyone have recommendations for weightlifting logging apps that are compatible with the Watch?