At this point, is it worth considering waiting for Broadwell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iFanboy, Sep 15, 2013.

  1. iFanboy Guest

    For unknown reasons, Haswell Macbooks have been delayed and we may not see them until the end of October/early November at the earliest.

    At that point Broadwell chips are only 5 months or so from release??

    If Apple gets their act together next summer the Haswell Macbooks could be little more than 7-8 months old before the new much better Broadwell chips come in.

    Given the price of a Macbook, is it worth considering if your current laptop can stretch to another 8 months or so of use? Especially given how much of a jump Broadwell is scheduled to be?
  2. mneblett macrumors 6502

    Jun 7, 2008
    Intel's recently indicated that Broadwell will not be available until late 2014/early 2015 -- Haswell won't have such a short life before the next "tock" of the Intel's tick-tock CPU plans.
  3. GSPice macrumors 68000


    Nov 24, 2008
    Not worth considering waiting til end of 2014 or early 2015. May as well wait for the 2016 notebooks.
  4. iFanboy Guest

    That I didn't know. Thank you :)
  5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Sep 8, 2009
    Even if Broadwell were coming in the next 4-6 months, I'd still jump on the Haswell MBP like crazy.
  6. Yousif55 macrumors newbie

    Sep 7, 2013
    It would depend on the specs of the Haswell 15 rmbp for me, if there is no dGPU and only Iris pro, then ill most likely just wait for broadwell.
  7. magbarn macrumors 68000

    Oct 25, 2008
    Yup, same here, broadwell will bring an entirely redesigned igpu (haswell hd5000 at its core is basically a 'bigger' hd4000) and 30% reduction in power use compared to haswell. If the dgpu is missing, I'm going to want a much more powerful igpu than hd5200 as a viable replacement for the gt650m.
  8. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

    Aug 20, 2013
    At which point is it fair to view these "Waiting for..." threads as a form of mental illness? It's like the "Myth of Sisyphus" of consumer urges.

    No amount of waiting will ever pay off. There will always be something better to wait for. You can't win this game. The best you can hope for is to "lose less", and even that small sense of euphoria will be short-lived once you realize that this object which you agonized over for months is just a computer which simply does "computer stuff" just like the one it replaced, only somewhat faster...

    I'm sorry, OP--I know this is an honest question meant to elicit debates on potential spec boosts, etc., but I'm frankly reaching the limits of my patience after only a few weeks worth of waiting for this Haswell refresh. Clearly I'm starting to snap...! :confused:
  9. kappaknight macrumors 68000


    Mar 5, 2009
    Seriously... for those of you waiting for the latest and greatest up to 2 years in advance, do you even really NEED a laptop? :confused::confused::confused:

    I mean, personally I need my laptop to work and make money with. I do game and waste time with it sometimes, but I couldn't live without my 2011 MBP.

    If you have one that you use daily, great! It's obviously working out for you. If you currently don't have one and are fine without it; maybe you just don't need one.

    There is no future proofing in technology. Don't kid yourselves. You buy the tool, you use it for awhile, then you sell it if you want something better. Luckily, MBP's have a great resale value if you don't drop yours. But anyway, these waiting posts are annoying as heck.
  10. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

    Mr. Dee

    Dec 4, 2003
    I'm waiting for Broadwell

    Simply because I have not choice, will be purchasing the following later this year, so I have to save up for the Broadwell rMBP:

    iMac - Haswell
    iPhone 5S 32 GB (Space Grey)
    iPad 5

    That's gonna wipe me out.

    I don't mind waiting for Broadwell because I know it will offer some exciting features such as:

    - Thunderbolt 2 support for sure.
    - DDR4 Memory which I read is heavily being targeted at mobile devices such as Tablets and laptops for its power efficiency.
    - USB 3.1 which will support up to 10 GBs of data transfer
    - Whatever NVidia or ATI has out at that time.
    - Likely 512 GBs of SSD storage standard with option for 1 TB.

    Considering that it will be the third iteration, any likely kinks will surely be ironed out.
  11. jxie0755 macrumors member

    Jul 1, 2013
    So, haswell is delayed and you think the broadwell would still stick to the plan?

    Don't know your logic, if something is delayed then everything behind it is delayed.
  12. prospervic macrumors 6502


    Aug 2, 2007
    Not sure where you heard that. Intel is shipping Broadwell chips to OEMs at the end of THIS year (2013) as reported by Anandtech:

    If Intel's claims hold up, Broadwell is DEFINITELY worth waiting for.
  13. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 12, 2013
    If you have an Ivy Bridge MBP, then absolutely yes.
  14. powerslave12r macrumors 6502a

    Sep 19, 2010
    I'm going insane waiting for an Haswell update. I bought an Air because I needed something badly. It sucks that I'm going to take a nice hit on the depreciation because Apple delayed the launch (I'm sure they have really good reasons for that).

    But for people like me, who cannot afford to wait, it sucks cause if they would have launched Haswell, I would have had the latest and greatest, and had similar depreciation as what I will have with the last gen tech. (The catch being, more money will be locked into the purchase, but that's okay.)
  15. thaifood macrumors 6502

    Jun 8, 2011
    Even if a Broadwell release occurs in 5-6 months, Apple will still stick to an annual refresh of the MBP.
  16. AdolfCaesar macrumors member

    Sep 11, 2013
    Personally, I'm going to wait. I expected the new Rmbp to be out in June, late oct is too late for a haswell incremental upgrade. Broadwell is due h2 2014 no telling on precise date. But my reason for waiting is more then the CPU it self, nvidias new gpu maxwell is going to be a significant architecture change, likely 80-100% increase over the current Kepler chips, not to mention igzo displays and possibly larger standardized ssd size.
  17. GSPice macrumors 68000


    Nov 24, 2008
    Lol you're "just" gonna wait for "H2" 2014?

    Hang on let me get the world's largest bag of popcorn.
  18. powerslave12r macrumors 6502a

    Sep 19, 2010
    LOL, grab me a bag too, will you? Adolf, join the club.
  19. Count Blah macrumors 68040

    Count Blah

    Jan 6, 2004
    US of A
    It's going to be 6 months AFTER the release of Haswell before we see MBPs with Haswell. Who I knows, it could be 9 months after broadwell's release before we see a broadwell MBP
  20. mneblett macrumors 6502

    Jun 7, 2008
  21. AdolfCaesar macrumors member

    Sep 11, 2013
    well if that's the case then apple is going to lose a lot of business. the original rMBP was certainly not released 6 month after ivy bridge was released. might as well just release the haswell edition as a minor spec bump like the airs and just work on the broadwell release beforehand. from the sounds of it, there isn't going to be much difference between the haswell edition and the current ivy bridge edition anyway.
  22. GSPice macrumors 68000


    Nov 24, 2008
    Yup, Apple's shaking in their boots. And Haswell = Ivy Brige, pretty much. Go ahead and wait.. that's what will make you feel best. ;)
  23. Mr MM macrumors 65816

    Mr MM

    Jun 29, 2011
    that actually was concerning desktops, not notebook cpus.

    we are still unsure if there is going to be broadwell for desktops or they would jump straight to skylake, logic dictates that there would be
  24. ParanoidDroid macrumors 6502


    Sep 15, 2013
    Venusville, Mars
    I don't expect broadwell be that good. It's better to wait for Skylake.
  25. Tarrou8 macrumors member

    Jun 10, 2013
    Massive win for incorporating Camus into this (or any discussion)!

Share This Page

46 September 15, 2013