Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
My Xs Max contract is over,ordered a 12 Pro Max 256GB (2 years contract) which will be shipped to me in 2 weeks,but now I’m thinking maybe at this point just wait for the next model?

lack of 120hz display is disappointing in a premium flagship when all other flagship smartphones offer that and its almost guaranteed next iPhone comes with it.

Also rumors about touch ID implementation (which I really like) and smaller notch are very interesting.

I will get around 350 trade in value for my Xs Max as part of this deal tho,which will be much less if I decide to wait for next iPhone obviously.

On the other hand,if I go ahead with the deal,I have to live with 12 Pro Max until March 2023.?

so what do you think?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If saving a small amount causes ur iPhone experience to suffer in the next 2 years I’d say don’t bother upgrade right now. Loss productivity and emotion does not worth the small savings you enjoy now.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
C'mon, I think "suffer" is a little harsh, the 12 Pro Max is arguably the best smartphone on the planet and would be an improvement over the current XS Max. @ColdShadow, there's always going to be something new on the horizon, it's just a matter of when you're gonna jump in. Maybe there will be some incentive when the 13 series is released. Why not a payment plan that allows yearly upgrades?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I would return the Pro Max unless you have a specific use case that warrants a new phone. The XS Max will be a solid device for years to come. Coming from someone that has both devices in their household, I don't see many reasons why upgrading to a 12 Pro Max over an XS Max would be worth the money. The exception being if you have a professional need for a better device with a better camera.

If your phone is just a toy like it is for most of us, you'll be happier to have the extra money in your pocket IMO. You'll also feel that your money is better spent when you see the performance improvements of upgrading a 3-5 year old device vs. a 2 year old device.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
C'mon, I think "suffer" is a little harsh, the 12 Pro Max is arguably the best smartphone on the planet and would be an improvement over the current XS Max. @ColdShadow, there's always going to be something new on the horizon, it's just a matter of when you're gonna jump in. Maybe there will be some incentive when the 13 series is released. Why not a payment plan that allows yearly upgrades?
There is always something new,that I always agree but I think there was never something better this close.

I mean as much as I like the design of 12 Pro Max,I was already expecting it to have 120hz display,and a redesigned notch at least.

now strong rumours are saying 13 will have all the features I want,it’s not the usual “newer will be better” refinement upgrade like 12 Pro was to 11 Pro,again I think it’s 12 Pro Max that is a little behind in need of catching up being a flagship.

my plan is 24 months fixed,no upgrade option during the 24 months.

my main reason for upgrade is the limitations of my 64GB Xs Max storage and also being really bored of the design after over 2 years.(which was itself an upgrade to the very similar iPhone X) also battery is not as good as it used to be.

DF4367BB-A732-4B96-A389-F994FB2AAD46.jpeg

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
At the end of the you are the only person who can decide on the value of the upgrade.

I don’t get a new phone every year anymore but at the same time I tend to buy what I like, when I want. There’s no wrong or right path, and live is short.

Typing this from a 12 Pro Max which I honestly speaking cannot fault. Day to day life with the device is excellent.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
the 12 Pro Max is arguably the best smartphone on the planet
Is the best phone on the planet, fixed it for you. ?

Wouldn't bother upgrading now, 12s/13 is only 6 month away. ? Nothing wrong with the XS Max, still destroys all these android phones out there.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
There is always something new,that I always agree but I think there was never something better this close.

I mean as much as I like the design of 12 Pro Max,I was already expecting it to have 120hz display,and a redesigned notch at least.

now strong rumours are saying 13 will have all the features I want,it’s not the usual “newer will be better” refinement upgrade like 12 Pro was to 11 Pro,again I think it’s 12 Pro Max that is a little behind in need of catching up being a flagship.

my plan is 24 months fixed,no upgrade option during the 24 months.

my main reason for upgrade is the limitations of my 64GB Xs Max storage and also being really bored of the design after over 2 years.(which was itself an upgrade to the very similar iPhone X) also battery is not as good as it used to be.

View attachment 1737586
I'm certainly not downplaying what the 13 may or may not have to offer. Simply stating that you have a 12 Pro Max on order so it must be an improvement over your current XS Max situation or you wouldn't have ordered one. Now if the 12PM doesn't check off all your boxes as to what you need in a phone, then yes, I'd cancel the order and wait. Again, I have to ask, are you not able to do a payment plan on an iPhone as opposed to a contracted 24 months? I like my payment plan and having the option of upgrading yearly if I choose. But that's just me.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
? I'm certainly not downplaying what the 13 may or may not have to offer. Simply stating that you have a 12 Pro Max on order so it must be an improvement over your current XS Max situation or you wouldn't have ordered one. Now if the 12PM doesn't check off all your boxes as to what you need in a phone, then yes, I'd cancel the order and wait. Again, I have to ask, are you not able to do a payment plan on an iPhone as opposed to a contracted 24 months? I like my payment plan and having the option of upgrading yearly if I choose. But that's just me.
I can get the device on payment plan from Apple directly but this 2 years contract plan is a much better deal in this case,so the sim card plan works out -almost free.
12 Pro Max is a great phone but yeah it doesn’t tick all boxes,I’d be happy if it at least had one of these features:
1-120hz display
2-touch ID
smaller notch / hole punch just a luxury but one of the above 2 features was a must to make it worth upgrading over Xs Max imo.

I’m in process of cancelling my order now ?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
2-touch ID
smaller notch / hole punch just a luxury but one of the above 2 features was a must to make it worth upgrading over Xs Max imo.
New rumours are saying no under screen Touch ID this year, the new Qualcomm under screen Touch ID is still garbage, a lot of people in Australia having issues with it.

Punch Hole at the expense of no Face ID is a major step backwards.

120hz is happening this year, not that the iPhone needs it.

smart move cancelling your order.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
If you go to a Best Buy and put your XS Max without a case next to a 12 Pro Max at the store, play around with both at the same time looking at both screens, check out the speakers, build, etc.... you might come to the conclusion that the XS Max is literally 95% of the phone the 12 Pro Max is. The speed is *almost* identical.

I say wait for the 13. But seriously, go check out a store demo and use your XS Max next to it you might be surprised at how good the XS is

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I upgraded from the XS Max to the Pro Max and am really happy with it. The new camera and ProRaw blow the XS Max away (camera quality being of different importance to different people) and signal reception is significantly better for me (same carrier). I have 120Hz on my iPad Pro but don't miss it on the phone.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I upgraded from the XS Max to the Pro Max and am really happy with it. The new camera and ProRaw blow the XS Max away (camera quality being of different importance to different people) and signal reception is significantly better for me (same carrier). I have 120Hz on my iPad Pro but don't miss it on the phone.
Also upgraded from a xs max to 12 pro max on launch day, loving the better cameras and best battery life in the business, like you said 120hz isn’t a big deal on a phone, only reason these android phones have it is because they lag and aren’t as smooth as iOS, even with 120hz they’re still nowhere near iPhones for smoothness.

The 12 pro max is a awesome phone, but I wouldn’t upgrade now when a new model is 6 month away ??

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
New rumours are saying no under screen Touch ID this year, the new Qualcomm under screen Touch ID is still garbage, a lot of people in Australia having issues with it.

120hz is happening this year, not that the iPhone needs it.

Yeah I’m not expecting under display touch ID with next iPhone,(that’s probably for 2022) but very likely they do touch ID on power button like they did on iPad Air.
and 120hz display is definitely nice.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
120hz isn’t a big deal on a phone, only reason these android phones have it is because they lag and aren’t as smooth as iOS, even with 120hz they’re still nowhere near iPhones for smoothness.
iPhone can also benefit from 120hz display,without any doubt.
if you put iPhone 12 Pro Max next to a say S21 Ultra the extra buttery smoothness of S21 Ultra display is instantly noticeable,I’ve seen it with my own eyes,it’s one of those things that once you experience,you can’t go back.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Yeah I’m not expecting under display touch ID with next iPhone,(that’s probably for 2022) but very likely they do touch ID on power button like they did on iPad Air.
and 120hz display is definitely nice.
Touch ID in the power button would be nice and would work flawlessly 100% of the time, can’t knock apple when it comes to new hardware and features, if it doesn’t work 100% properly 24/7 then it doesn’t see the light of day.

These under screen fingerprint sensors are still way off from being any good, reckon apple will make their own version that works accurately and quicker than the completion.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
It won’t be at expense of No Touch ID,there is a new leak/rumour about Apple attempting to unify touch ID system into one punch hole,but again that’s most likely for 2022-2023.
a smaller notch + 120hz display will be enough for 13 Pro for me ?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
It won’t be at expense of No Touch ID,there is a new leak/rumour about Apple attempting to unify touch ID system into one punch hole,but again that’s most likely for 2022-2023.
a smaller notch + 120hz display will be enough for 13 Pro for me ?
Maybe they’ve cracked how to get Face ID working with a punch hole cut out ?

Samsung will copy them only to have heat issues and discontinue it the following year lol.

Looks like you’ll be getting a smaller notch and 120hz this year. ?

Reactions: ColdShadow

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Considering we're now mid cycle I would wait unless your XS max is on its last legs. 120HZ would be worth the wait for me alone personally, not to mention whatever other improvements come, and it's only 6 months away now assuming a normal Sept release.

Reactions: ColdShadow

t1328

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2017
Having tried some of Samsung’s phones with 120Hz for a few weeks, I’d strongly encourage you to wait for the 13. 120 Hz makes a huge difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.