AT&T's WarnerMedia to Launch New Streaming Service in Fourth Quarter of 2019

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

AT&T's WarnerMedia is working on its own streaming service to compete with Netflix, Hulu, Disney, and others, the company announced today.

According to AT&T, the upcoming streaming service is "another benefit" of the merger between AT&T and Time Warner. AT&T says it is committed to launching a "compelling and competitive product" that helps the company expand its reach.

[​IMG]

AT&T's streaming service will include the WarnerMedia collection of films, television series, animation, documentaries, and more. The plan is to "create such a compelling product" that it will help distributors increase customer penetration and help AT&T reach additional customers.

AT&T already owns DirecTV and offers live streaming content through DirecTV Now, HBO Go, and HBO Now.

At the Vanity Fair New Establishment Summit on Wednesday, WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey said that HBO will be a "lead brand" in the new service. From CNBC:
    Along with HBO, the service will include content from Turner and Warner Bros.

According to Stankey, the new streaming service will feature a "compelling price point" when it launches in the fourth quarter of 2019.

Article Link: AT&T's WarnerMedia to Launch New Streaming Service in Fourth Quarter of 2019

2. Sethal macrumors member

3. c3po7 macrumors 6502

c3po7

I use to be able to stream DirecTV Now on my Apple TV 4K using a VPN on my router, but DirecTV are doing something I haven't come across before, and I don't think It's just blocking IP's. att owns DirecTV, right?

4. radio893fm macrumors regular

Damm... we have DirecTV Now, Watch ATT... another one... how about merging into 1 and making this really good, a la carte (really a la carte, channel by channel) service.

5. Bornee35 macrumors regular

Bornee35

But it's the consumer that's wrong, not them.
    /s

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

AT&T has owned them for years.
    I suspect the VPN may have been blacklisted.

7. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Merging into 1 you already have.
    It’s called Cable TV
    Merging into 1 does not equal a la carte or in your words “channel by channel”.
    People wishing to make up there own individual channel cable packages may be waiting a long time, maybe forever.

8. MysteryMii215 macrumors regular

MysteryMii215

I would like to remind folks that this will be the 9th OTT streaming service that AT&T will have operating under WarnerMedia (the others being HBO Now, Boomerang, FilmStruck, DC Universe, DramaFever, Crunchyroll, VRV, and Rooster Teeth First).

9. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Meanwhile, on Monday, DIRECTV Now was completely down for three hours.

10. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

Mergers are not the only way to monopolize a market. Owning all the sreaming services is another way.

11. c3po7 macrumors 6502

c3po7

You'd think that, but the same VPN's (and their various servers) I'm using (ExpressVPN, AirVPN, ProtonVPN, VPNUnlimited, TorGuard (Residential IP)) don't work on the ATV 4K. But Hulu, Netflix, CNN< HBO Go, etc. all work. And using those same VPN's and servers on my iMac DirecTV Now works. So it can't be the IP addresses being blocked.

12. Unity451 macrumors newbie

Or even by show! *gasp*
    Some channels I'm only interested in like 1 or two shows on the whole channel.

13. vartanarsen macrumors 6502a

Just tell me when i'll be able to use my DTVN Creds to log into Turner apps for christ's sake

14. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Another streaming service, to run alongside their other one?

[​IMG]

15. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Oh, boy! A new streaming service! I can’t wait to give them my money!

16. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Just what everyone wanted—another streaming service! Right. We’ve torn down the cable model and have simply rebuilt it on streaming. Good job guys.

17. Macaholic868, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018

Macaholic868 macrumors 6502

Macaholic868

We need updated consumer focused anti-trust laws. Interent based TV is turning into death by a thousand streaming services which will prevent consumers from ever cutting the card. Under no circumstances should ISP’s be allowed to merge with content creators or content distributors or at the very least there needs to be regulations in place preventing them from holding the content they own hostage from other streaming service providers or ISPs that want to offer their content. We need net neutrality and we need to separate ISP’s from content creators / distributors. You can be one or the other. Pick one.

18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How about providing this content to DirecTV subscribers? Between my phone bill and my DirecTV I’m giving AT&T $320 a month.

19. ELman macrumors member

20. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 65816

Or let us use our Apple TVs as Genie Mini boxes.

21. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Exactly. And that we expected anything different is hilarious. Bundled packages, ala carte streaming, app channels - no matter - media execs are going to get their $. The customer will not save a cent. If anything, we’ll pay more for the “convenience and flex” that ala carte affords.

It’s how this works. Always has. Always will.

22. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

So many streaming services... it’s so fragmented I think they’re all bound to fail. Nobody is going to pay $50+ a month to get such a variety of them. 2 services tops...

23. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I'm with you. I have CTN and like its content and price point but its technical issue drive me nuts. Periodic freezes, ".. video taking too long to load..." messages and a beta DVR that seems to have a mind of its own, deciding I can't record some shows I've previously recorded or deciding to record part of a show. If they could fix the issues and bundle it with unlimited Internet access like they do with Internet + Uverse it would be a good alternative to other cable options.

24. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Well, at least on some level you can pay less if you don't like whatever shows another service is offering. And the convenience of being able to watch on any device is an improvement. So it ended up very similar, but marginally better. Guess we'll just have to take what we can get.

25. ayale99 macrumors 6502

Piracy was on the decline, but its going back up again due to all these separate streaming services. Nobody is going to subscribe to every service to get access to their shows. They'll subscribe to a couple and pirate the rest.