At what age did you start (or do you plan to start) to live alone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nikopolidis, Mar 13, 2008.

?

At what age did you start (or do you plan to start) to live alone?

1. Less than 20

56 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. 20-25

31 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. More than 25

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. Don't know/don't remember

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. nikopolidis macrumors regular

Hello!
    In a couple of months I'm going to move and live alone, separately from my parents. I am almost 23.
    I wonder how old were you when you started to live alone? Or at what age do you plan to live separately from your parents?
    What has forced you to live by your own? :)
    Cheers.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I guess college was my transition. For the first two years, I lived in the dorms and then spent the at least part of the summer at my parents' house. The third and fourth years, I lived with friends in an apartment and again spent part of the summer living with my parents. After graduation, I got an apartment with a friend and have not lived with my parents since, except for staying with my dad for a couple months in their new house when they were in the process of moving to Florida (and my mom was still in Michigan), and my apartment wasn't available yet (but that was by choice / arrangement).

Never forced to, just seemed like the natural progression.

But I guess, to answer your question, the last time I really lived with my parents was the summer of my third college year, which would be ... when I was 20.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I was 18 when I went off to college. Apart from visiting home during breaks, I never lived with my parents again after that.

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well.. in Asian culture, it's perfectly acceptable to live with your parents right up until you get married.

However, I have had little luck in that department, and I wonder if half of that isn't a chicken-and-egg situation... :)

I moved out when I was 28, because the university I went to was in my hometown so it made sense to just keep living at home and save a lot of money on rent and food. Still, I wonder if it would have been better for my independence (e.g. a crash course in life and cooking skills) if I had found a room somewhere.

The nice thing was I made the jump directly from living at home (and saving tons of money as my parents charged me only nominal rent) to buying my own house. My parents even surprised me by giving me back some of the rent I paid them to help me with my down payment.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Lived the majority of the time outside my parent's house: 18.
    Actually lived *alone* for the first time: 21.

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Moved out with my fiancee (at the time) after we got out of college.

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I went for 20-25 as I'm 20 at the end of the month, but really, as soon as I can afford it.

8. smochs macrumors newbie

I moved into an apartment when I was 18, but never did the dorm thing. I did move back home for like three weeks after moving cross country for an internship then moving home then moving back across country to same place for graduate school. That was a crazy summer!

9. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Moved away to college at 18, but I was only about 2 hours away from home, so it really doesn't count. Moved to NYC for grad school at 21, so that's pretty much when I was doing everything on my own without being able to run home at a moment's notice if I needed to.

10. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

17, when I started to college. haven't been back since.

11. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

left home at 18, and not for college, but to get a place of my own. Best thing I ever did.

12. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

18, to go to college. I chose a uni over 2000 clicks away from the parents, and stayed away over the summers, too.

13. mahashel macrumors 6502

mahashel

Moved out of my parents' place and into college dorm @ 18.
    Moved out of dorm into apartment with a roommate @ 20.
    Moved into my own apartment where there were no roomies @ 21.

14. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

I still live in my parent's basement - or better, "again". My wife dumped me last year, and since she didn't earn any money, paying for the both of us and paying the rent for an own appartment was way over my monthly budget, so I moved back into my old room at my parent's. She finally found a new job this year (and seems to really enjoy it), so that pressure has been lifted from me.

15. asrmatt macrumors regular

asrmatt

28!

And let me say that here in Italy, it's common to go to University in your home town, so few people go live alone for that reason...

...and houses are REALLY expensive!

Living alone is the greatest thing for me, but still many of my friends (age around 30) still live at home with their parents.
    I know it's not great but paying 1400 dollars a month for rent, isn't easy at all!:mad:

16. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

When the last kid moves out (that'll be another six years . . . ), I'll be old as dirt, but I...will...finally...be...alone. :D

17. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

I graduated from college at 23 (5-year program!) and left just a few weeks later for my first job, so I've been living out of my parents' house for 18 years.

18. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I moved out of my parents house about 3 months after graduating high school. I then moved into my grandparents house since they were close to the college i was going to. I spent about a year with them before i moved into my own apartment. I did not go back last summer to live with the parents and at this point i don't see it happening.

19. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I moved to NM when I was 17 to go to school, failed out, moved back home for about six months, then moved out to Las Vegas.

Been on my own since then.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I ran screaming at age 19. I couldn't wait to get out of the house! :D

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats the way its going for me. graduating in 2 months. about time too

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's socially acceptable for me to live with my parents in my culture but I've been out of the house for 4 years now. My mother does miss me a lot though.

23. Queso macrumors G4

Same here. 19 years and 3 days exactly :D

The worst thing was having to go back for 8 weeks after my motorbike accident four years later. That was a real "Mum, Dad, I love you, but you're driving me mental" time. All that stuff they've always done is suddenly terrifyingly noticeable and incredibly annoying :)

24. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

living with my parents I have just as much freedom as if i wasn't living with them, and i don't have to pay rent, so i think im staying here for a bit more, i love living at home..

25. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Lived away from my parents when I went off to college at 18. Lived in the dorms my first year, then into an apartment on my own from then on.