Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

At what age did you start (or do you plan to start) to live alone?

• Less than 20

Votes: 56 57.1%
  • 20-25

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • More than 25

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Don't know/don't remember

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Moved out on my own when 18.
does not really count I guess since I stayed in the same city district all this time.

Am now considering moving back for 6-8 months

I am going to need a wheelchair accessible building for that long. after reconstructive surgery on both ankles.
my current apt is nice but its three flights of stairs with no elevator.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
I've never lived alone, unfortunately when I bought my flat the then g/f moved in! I was 20 and I probably did it a bit too young as I got into quite a bit of debt as she was still at uni so not earning much.

However getting onto the housing ladder so early was the best thing we ever done, doubled our money in 5 years and my mortgage will be paid off by the time I'm 45 (a scant 13 years away....)

By the way, you lot are making me feel old. Now it's past my bedtime, I'm away for a cup of coco and put on some comfy slippers. ;)

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I moved out when I went to college, and never spent any considerable time at home after that. I went to England most summers to work and lived in Dublin after I finished college. I lived in a variety of bedsits and apartments with other people, and eventually bought a little house that has since been traded up to something a bit bigger (the attic is as big as my first house).

I don't live alone any more though. I have my two birds with me now.

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
I imagine I'll move out at about 22. So in two years. But it really depends on what I do after college. If I go to graduate school I'll be moving out, same if I get a job outside of Southern California. If I stay in SoCal though, I imagine I'll live with my parents until they die and then just inherit the house.;) It'll probably be more like 25 if I stay out here.

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Still home

I'm still living at home at the grand old age of 22, but not for too much longer. I'm getting married in the summer, so i'll be paying my own way soon enough. It's nice living at home rent free!

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I lived in college dorms for my first two years of college, so I spent the summers at home doing paid internships. Then I got an apartment with friends for the second two years and spent the vast majority of my time there (worked a couple college campus jobs to help pay for things). I moved back home for about a month after the lease ran out post-graduation, and then nabbed a job here in LA (I lived and went to college in VA). Moved out with a friend but things didn't work out in the first week we were looking for places (he was looking for a job too) so I got a room that was being rented out in a condo. Stayed there for a year until I finally got an apartment with a friend.

I have yet to live in an apartment by myself, but I'm okay with that. It'll be a while before I have the earning potential to do that (and be able to maintain the standard of living to which I've become accustomed... which is not that opulent, trust me). :D

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
Moving Out

The second i turn 18... I'm not sticking around any longer than a have to by law. I really despise my parents

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
I moved out at 17 (to the day) and joined the Army. Moved back home after I got out while attending college for my first year, and then moved out again. Been on my own since.

kfordham281

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Went to college (uni) at 18 and lived in dorms for two years. I went home on the weekends and during the summer those first two years. After the third year and though graduation I lived in apts and houses with friends. After graduation I lived with a friend for two years in two different apts and then bought a condo and lived alone for about 2.5 years before I got married.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
I'm 19 and just finishing my freshman year of college. Since it's cheaper to live off-campus than on-, two friends and I got an apartment near my school, where I'll start living in May. I guess that counts as living "alone". (Or maybe since I've lived in dorms since age 18 1/2, then it's age 18. Either way, it's the <20 option.)

I like my parents, but I'd much rather live on my own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.