At what point would I realize I need TRIM

podsorcerer09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
The title is a little subjective since I'm not sure if I'll even need it at all. I put a Samsung 830 256GB SSD in my computer at the beginning of the summer. I have not tried any of the TRIM hacks. Is there any garbage collection on the samsung drives that is good enough or at some point will I need to turn on TRIM? When would I know?

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The title is a little subjective since I'm not sure if I'll even need it at all. I put a Samsung 830 256GB SSD in my computer at the beginning of the summer. I have not tried any of the TRIM hacks. Is there any garbage collection on the samsung drives that is good enough or at some point will I need to turn on TRIM? When would I know?
TRIM is always needed. However, if you don't have it enabled, you'll realize you need it when your SSD takes a loooooong time to write a simple file.

podsorcerer09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Does anyone know if TRIM would interfere with the garbage collection available on this particular model?

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
i just downloaded one of the apps, ran it then deleted the app. saw no harm in it

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Does anyone know if TRIM would interfere with the garbage collection available on this particular model?
Trim tells the OS to do garbage collection. If you're using an SSD with a good controller then Trim is not necessary. My crucials garbage collection works fine without needing assistance from the OS.