Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kumamusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
I'm troubled but this may be much simpler than I thought. I'm a musician who writes music to films and will be using the following programs:

Digital Performer
Logic Pro 8
Pro Tools
Final Cut Pro( some in the future)

Can you recommend me the ATI (base card) ? I noticed that almost everybody here bought the 8800. And the fact that it takes 3-5 weeks to wait just for the 8800, is this card really that great (compared to ATI)?? Is it b/c you guys are all gamers/graphic artists ..? Confused confused ~~ :confused:

I had to cancel my order twice because of this issue about the graphic card. Help !! :(

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
I'm troubled but this may be much simpler than I thought. I'm a musician who writes music to films and will be using the following programs:

Digital Performer
Logic Pro 8
Pro Tools
Final Cut Pro( some in the future)

Can you recommend me the ATI (base card) ? I noticed that almost everybody here bought the 8800. And the fact that it takes 3-5 weeks to wait just for the 8800, is this card really that great (compared to ATI)?? Is it b/c you guys are all gamers/graphic artists ..? Confused confused ~~ :confused:

I had to cancel my order twice because of this issue about the graphic card. Help !! :(

Unless you are doing anything video intensive, either will be fine for you. I recommend the 8800GT, as it is better than the 2600xt, and generally one of the best (think future proof), but if it's that much trouble, you can always pop one in later.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
The applications you listed aren't video intensive and can be done with even the integrated graphics, so you should be more than fine with just the ATI card. However, if you decide to get into FCS and use apps like Motion then you should upgrade to a better video card.

timestamp

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Get the 8800GT, it is way better than the ATI. Considering it isn't an expensive upgrade I would go for it.

kumamusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Thanks you guys, your comments are very helpful.

And, I'm wondering if there's any the slightest difference in graphics just playing movie DVD's, or just by looking at your desktop screen.. ? Can one tell the difference just by looking at the screen in the finder(for general use)? When does the 'big' change come into play? (I know one of you said using "motion" or FCS). Lastly, do you guys know where I can get the 8800 card separately?

I'm still 50/50 on this issue :rolleyes:

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2006
In short, no, you will never ever notice any difference what so ever.

Like mentioned before, unless you game the GPU isn't going to matter a whole lot.

Like I always say: If you have to ask, you don't need it.

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
From my experience using PC's (waiting to buy my first Mac :) The video card can help in all types of video programs. Whether its viewing web pages or movies. It will also help with graphic intensive programs.

One person noted it would give your computer more future proofing as well.

If I was you, I'd go for the 8800 gt. They even recommend that card as a DX10 for playing Crysis (1 of the most graphics intesive games out there).

Even if you dont game. The difference between the 8800 gt over the 2600 xt is tremendous. For $200 more its well worth it if you ask me.

Why pay so much for a tower and limit yourself?

Punch it chewie !

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
You don't need the 8800GT. The only thing the 8800 will do better than the X2600 is 3D graphics. Think making movie effects or games. For 2D stuff, such as your desktop, web browsing, even watching DVDs, both cards will give you the same picture and quality.

You can always order the 8800GT later if you find your needs change. Just search "MB137Z/A" on the Apple Store to find the kit. The price is $349.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Not that you couldn't play games ever with the 2600. It's not a bad card, but the 8800 would obviously be better if you were into regular gaming.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Even if you dont game. The difference between the 8800 gt over the 2600 xt is tremendous. For $200 more its well worth it if you ask me.

No, it isn't. If you're not doing stuff that will require 3D power, you will never be able to tell the difference.

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
No, it isn't. If you're not doing stuff that will require 3D power, you will never be able to tell the difference.

Tremendous as far as the specs are concerned.

Look, if your going to be doing any type of video , animation etc or watch Hi-Def content (blu ray etc) with your Mac......why not upgrade the weakest link in the base Mac Pro?

From reading the forums here and on other sites. Most are opting to get the 8800 gt. Why do you think that is? Because its more bang for the buck. I'm sure everyone ordering the 8800 gt arent getting it for gaming. So why are most picking the 8800 gt? They must have done their research as well and found that card to be better suited in a freaking quad or 8 core machine.

If your gonna get a Mac Pro, why wouldnt you give it more staying power with the 8800 gt for only $200 more?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/411886/ Read this thread and hit the link on the first post. Might give you some more information.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Mix ATI & NVIDIA?

I run 3 monitors. Are there any issues in hooking up my main two monitors to the NVIDIA 8800 and my 3rd monitor to an ATI 2600?

I understand there was a problem on some Mac Pros in the recent past having a problem with two different mfgr video cards installed?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The 2600 is running at 50W so it likely is cranked down a bit compared to the full power 110W 8800.

The based cards are a bit better this time around because Apple is using more powerful cards and running them a bit faster than the old sub-35W cards, but you are going to get a lot of rendering power if you are looking at a card designed for low power PCI express slots vs a card conforming PCI Express x16 150W-ATX Specification 1.0 (which the 8800 does.)

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
The 8800GT is a great gaming card, nothing more, if you play games in bootcamp then it will kick the X2600's ass all over the place. The only time 2D performance would play a factor is if you are comparing EXTREMELY poor onboard video (like way worse than the mac mini's). The X2600 is very much able to handle any sort of 2D work just as well as the 8800GT

It really wont help with anything else at all. Only 3D. $200 is a lot, if you dont game then you will never be able to tell the difference.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
You don't need the 8800GT. The only thing the 8800 will do better than the X2600 is 3D graphics. Think making movie effects or games. For 2D stuff, such as your desktop, web browsing, even watching DVDs, both cards will give you the same picture and quality.

You can always order the 8800GT later if you find your needs change. Just search "MB137Z/A" on the Apple Store to find the kit. The price is $349.

WTF? $350 for a 8800GT? 8800Gt's are like $200!!! they are slow in comparison to the 8800GTS and GTX eventhough they are using the new G92 core. for $200 its good, but $350 can get you a GTS Superclocked or the XFX GTS xxx/

BTW the GTS is usign the 92 core now too

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0048+106791921+1067932704&name=GeForce+8800GT

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
The video card can help in all types of video programs. Whether its viewing web pages or movies.
I'd like to know where you found that information. I have never heard of video cards making a difference in web page viewing. You're not going to notice a difference between viewing a website on integrated graphics or the 8800 gt.

If I was you, I'd go for the 8800 gt. They even recommend that card as a DX10 for playing Crysis (1 of the most graphics intesive games out there).

Why pay so much for a tower and limit yourself?
But the OP doesn't play Crysis! There is no difference between 8800 gt and 2600 xt when you're not using it! Why pay so much for something you're not gonna use?

Tremendous as far as the specs are concerned.

Look, if your going to be doing any type of video , animation etc or watch Hi-Def content (blu ray etc) with your Mac......why not upgrade the weakest link in the base Mac Pro?

You can't watch Hi-Def content on your Mac, even if you buy an external yourself IIRC there aren't any softwares available yet to watch them on your Mac. And the OP's not doing any animation or special effects, while FCP can be run even on a macbook, so the 2600xt would handle all of OP's video needs just fine.

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
I'd like to know where you found that information. I have never heard of video cards making a difference in web page viewing. You're not going to notice a difference between viewing a website on integrated graphics or the 8800 gt.

But the OP doesn't play Crysis! There is no difference between 8800 gt and 2600 xt when you're not using it! Why pay so much for something you're not gonna use?

You can't watch Hi-Def content on your Mac, even if you buy an external yourself IIRC there aren't any softwares available yet to watch them on your Mac. And the OP's not doing any animation or special effects, while FCP can be run even on a macbook, so the 2600xt would handle all of OP's video needs just fine.

(1) Videos on website play better with a better card. Example (soccernet.com) when you go to it, a video will start
(2) Did he say he never plays games?
(3) Isn't HD just around the corner?

Software yet ! HD Yet !

When they start making some programs that use the graphics card more , you will be ready

When you can buy a Blu-Ray drive kit .... you will be ready.

If you ever want to play a cool game that comes out in the future... you will be ready.

8800gt FTW.

**Look, if you have alot of doubt, for $200 more you can give yourself a little bit of future proofing. I don't give a damn what people say about what you need and don't or may not need. If you paying over 2k on a computer that is quad or 8 core, I have no freaking idea why you would buy this ATI card with the 8800GT available. Honestly it baffles me.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
1) The video card doesn't help play the videos on a website better. Youtube is not gonna work better with 8800gt than 2600xt.
2) The OP never said that he/she was going to play any games, and the applications listed are not graphic intensive at all, so that's what my suggestion is based on. Most of the OP's apps are music-related, and those probably won't ever be graphic intensive applications.
3)With the format war going on and limited selection of HD DVD/ Blu-ray, I don't think apple's going to implement either soon, at least not this year. But that's just my opinion. Btw, you can still watch Blu-ray with the 2600xt.

If you suddenly have a new use for your MP that needs the 8800gt, then you can always get it later on. Why spend the money now when you may never use it? It's hard enough to save up for the MP, if you could save $200, I don't see why not. Plus if you get it later on, you can drive four 30'' monitors since you have two graphic cards :D.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
3-5 week shipping wait for the 8800?

If you just go and get a Mac Pro right now, you have 3-5 weeks extra use of the machine. Enough to see if you need an 8800!

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I use Carrara (3D Modeling & Animation app), Strata 3D and After Effects CS3 a lot. Would the 8800 be an advantage for any of these apps?

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
1) The video card doesn't help play the videos on a website better. Youtube is not gonna work better with 8800gt than 2600xt.
2) The OP never said that he/she was going to play any games, and the applications listed are not graphic intensive at all, so that's what my suggestion is based on. Most of the OP's apps are music-related, and those probably won't ever be graphic intensive applications.
3)With the format war going on and limited selection of HD DVD/ Blu-ray, I don't think apple's going to implement either soon, at least not this year. But that's just my opinion. Btw, you can still watch Blu-ray with the 2600xt.

If you suddenly have a new use for your MP that needs the 8800gt, then you can always get it later on. Why spend the money now when you may never use it? It's hard enough to save up for the MP, if you could save $200, I don't see why not. Plus if you get it later on, you can drive four 30'' monitors since you have two graphic cards :D.

Yeah, i'm not sure. When i upgraded my vid card on my pc, it seemed to improve web browsing performance. Some of the videos on sites i visited played better etc. Seemed more smooth and loaded faster. I could be wrong though. It was around the same time I upgraded my cable modem.

The one post about having the machine now instead of waiting 3-5 weeks is a good pt. Heck, I may get the ATI for now then upgrade later. But I will be getting the 8800gt when i can. If you can't afford to wait or the price, then just get the ATI , try it out etc. and save up for the 8800gt if you want it later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.