ATi or nVidia for Mac Pro? (ATi has buggy driver?)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thermodynamic, Jan 20, 2010.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Howdy! I am a Flash developer. On my Macbook Pro, Flash animations play fine.

On my Mac Pro (early-2009, ATi 4870), the Flash movie window flickers and sometimes goes black.

Should I spring and get a nVidia GTX285??

Or could my 4870 be faulty?

Thx for any advice/help!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Might I suggest waiting a bit? I am sure Apple is working on drivers for either the ATI Radeon HD 5850 or 5870.

Also, bear in mind nVidia's Fermi architecture based GPUs are around the corner, although personally, I wouldn't pay for nVidia anymore, not after the whole 1.7% yields, wood screws, 275W low end cards, 20% missed clocks and wiring noises. However, we won't know Fermi until Q2 2010, that is if nVidia doesn't decide to delay the launch again...

3. gotzero macrumors 68040

My (flashed) 4870 is running swimmingly. I am looking forward to OpenCL improvements, but nothing is impacting my user experience.

4. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

I know the 5870 is a powerhouse; I wouldn't be surprised Apple is working on drivers, either. (I think my 4870 might have a flaw, but reading how much faster the 5870 is over the GTX285... :D )

Thx for the advice. I WILL wait for the HD 5870 and not go back to nVidia -- that's astounding, about nVidia's screw-up. I know they had the video chipset snafu a couple of years ago, but wow...