ATi Radeon HD 5870 noisy -replace fan?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macstatic, Mar 10, 2018.

1. macstatic macrumors 65816

macstatic

My ATi Radeon HD 5870 fan is noisy (chip-chip-chip-chip......). It might be due to dust inside (I've tried cleaning with compressed air to no avail but perhaps I need to disassemble the entire card/fan in order to fully clean it).

In any case the fan is probably some real cheap model, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a high quality/low noise replacement which will be a direct replacement (not obstructing the other PCIe slots or needing some sort of elaborate DIY modification)? I've seen other threads about this, but none of them answe this question.

2. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

I think there should be lots of GPU cooler on eBay can fit your card. Only replace the fan also possible (check iFixit / YouTube). Or you can even buy a fault card with working fan, and swap that onto your card.

But if you plan to replace it, may be worth to try drill a small hole on the fan hub, and give it a few drop of lubication oil. (Again, YouTube will tell you how to do it)

3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 65816

macstatic

I'd prefer a brand new, quality fan replacement if possible.
    Are these custom made fans for this specific card, or readily available from some of the low-noise fan makers out there?

I found a Youtube video entitled Radeon 5870 fan repair which I'm going to give a go. It's a hassle to open everything up but at least that way I get to see if there's a dust bunny to be removed (which the noise suggests), and perhaps some lubrication might also improve things.

4. Macschrauber macrumors 6502

Macschrauber

Dont use the method with the 3 screwdrivers ripping the fan apart, it could break easilly. Pull the sticker on the back of the fan and try to remove the washer.

5. macstatic thread starter macrumors 65816

macstatic

You mean there's a washer I can simply unscrew, underneath the "ATI" sticker on the fan?
    That would make things a whole lot easier as I wouldn't have to unscrew the whole card, apply new thermal paste etc.

6. Macschrauber macrumors 6502

Macschrauber

No, the sticker on the back side of the fan, you have to take apart the whole thing. But theres just a lot of screws. No rock science :)

7. macstatic thread starter macrumors 65816

macstatic

Good to hear ;)
    So I follow the same video up to around 2:30, but instead of using the 3 screwdrivers to "push" it upwards I just remove that silver sticker and underneath there is a washer which will let the fan disassemble without easily?

8. Macschrauber macrumors 6502

Macschrauber

Yep, I hope its the same Fan, I did that with another GPU with a similar looking fan. I also broke a Fan with the screwdrivers method from a 5870 before...

9. macstatic thread starter macrumors 65816

macstatic

Thanks for the tip.
    Hopefully I'll be able to open it withotu braking anything and getting a quieter fan.

10. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502a

AlexMaximus