Atomic Browser vs iCab

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by flipangle, May 14, 2010.

1. flipangle macrumors regular

I tried them both out yesterday. Both are heads and shoulders above Safari, IMO. At this point I prefer iCab over Atomic Browser only slightly because it has a more attractive UI, has a bookmar bar, has the ability to save downloads to a download folder which could be synced to your computer. On the other hand, Atomic browser may be a tad bit faster, maybe. I haven't used either for very long so there are probably other differences I'm not aware of. Just curious, for those people who have used both, which one do you prefer and why?

2. 1appleAday macrumors regular

I'm surprised no one creates this thread sooner - i was thinking about creating one myself!

Anyway, i have both and i prefer iCab for these reasons:

- UI looks better: similar to Safari 4. I particularly like how I can switch/create new tab in full-screen mode

- password lock and guest mode

- support for download

Of course these are just my personal preferences. :)

3. flipangle thread starter macrumors regular

I do agree with you. The UI is great. One thing that disappointed me...I subscribe to a professional journal that has all their articles available on line as pdf's. I tried to download a pdf last night and was not able to so properly. It just download some tiny file but not the pdf. It's a password protected site so this is likely the problem. I will try again today. Other than that, it's a great browser.

4. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

I just wanted to point out something:

- They both drain battery quicker than Safari.

- If you have GoodReader installed on the iPad, you can kind of download using Safari too, just by putting a "g" before the URL (e.g. ghttp://randomvideo.avi)

Haven't used iCab yet so I will try it before I weigh it against Atomic Browser.

5. flipangle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. So let my get this straight...after I open up GoodReader, do I enter the ghttp://randomvideo.avi into the "Browse the Web" or "Enter the URL" portion. Or do you mean I open up Safari and enter it in there? Thanks.

I didn't know about the battery drain issue. How much more battery drain are we talking about? 5, 10, 25%?

6. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Atomic Web is better for the reasons below:

1. Developer is active with users, and continuously updating/bug fixing. Ever known of icab developer here at MR?
    2. Developer is listening to the whiners at MR and implementing UI changes— with more to come.
    3. It loads pages faster.**
    4. With black theme and new button icons, I personally like the UI better than Safari and iCab. Also the UI is still a work in progress.
    5. Developer is from USA not the EU, not that this matters that much.
    6. A lack of themes in iCab for iPad.
    7. Atomic is half the price.
    8. Full screen plus just tabs showing. Love this option.

**A big difference.

I only tried icab because of Atomic Web issue with history, but that is now fixed with the 2.9 update.

They are both good browsers, and the two best out there not counting Safari.
    I have both, use Atomic almost always.

7. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

In Safari. If you browse with GoodReader then you can download things pretty normally. But by putting G before the URL in Safari, it allows you to download a file that you come across by having GoodReader do it for you. Make sure you have GoodReader installed though.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've dropped Atomic for iCab because although iCab is not around here the dev did respond to me and while Atomic has the gestures feature Atomic has a huge bug that doesn't seem to be addressed in any capacity by the developer.
    I'm tired of asking so I'll just use something else. Atomic certainly doesn't need me and I'm ok with that.

9. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

;)
    I paid $4.99 for Atomic Web and I see that iCab Mobile is $1.99 in the App Store. Has the price gone down on Atomic Web?

Never mind, I just saw that Atomic Web is now 99 cents. Oh well :eek:
    Maybe I should wait around for iCab to drop too ;) Then I may not feel too bad about dropping $4.99 on an app that now sells for .99 :)

10. LinMac macrumors 65816

Don't forget that Atomic Web Browser has an adblocker. That is a huge selling point.

11. vijay007 macrumors regular

I have both and prefer iCab over Atomic Browser.

The UI is much nicer and attractive and resembles Safari's. I have not seen any speed difference between iCab and Atomic Browser. Atomic Browser tends to forget the zoom level and webpage position when going over to a new page and returning. I find this frustrating at times. Atomic Browser has crashed on me a couple of time when loading multiple tabs but iCab has been rock stable.

12. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

iCab has adblocker too.

13. flipangle thread starter macrumors regular

I've decided

I've decided that I prefer iCab. UI is great. Most importantly it's stable. Atomic has crashed on me a few times. Also it's hard for me to surf without a bookmark bar.

14. igetit macrumors member

igetit

Does iCab work with Facebook IM? Atomic Browser works to an extent but when you scroll then the formatting gets screwed up :mad:

15. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

You mean the image blocker? Sure it blocks ads but it also blocks any other picture that you may want to see like in a message board post for example. Atomic just blocks ads. I use both but I've found myself using iCab more recently.

16. reiichiroh macrumors regular

It is unforgivable that iCab's icon is so butt-ugly though!

17. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

It has builtin filters, it blocks any content that rules apply. It is the same in atomic or any other browser with adblock.

18. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

I also prefer iCab. I also have both and I have heard some say that AB is considerably faster and it may be but I have not noticed it.

The developer may indeed be active here on MacRumors, the developer may be nimble with releasing many updates based on user comments on MacRumors but I don't see having many small updates based on feed back here as a plus. It just shows that iCab (copyright 1999-2010) is a mature product with a Mac OSX version (iCab for OSX 10.3.9 thru 10.6.x) and Atomic Browser is an immature product needing frequent updates.

I also like the native download feature, meaning not having to adjust the url, and I like the full screen mode of iCab much better than the one for AB.

19. cheekyjeremy macrumors regular

Is it possible to import safari bookmarks into icab ?

20. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Yes, it looks like it has an import/export via a little web server scheme.

Trying it out (iCab). It does feel more stable/professional than Atomic. The modules are pretty slick.

Hmm, why does it make th Instapaper article titles so ugly? Just me?

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, not just you. I think again iCab is winning here. That weird unaddressed bug in Atomic is bothersome.

22. iPadztr macrumors 6502

^^This!

23. nygfan80 macrumors regular

Does anyone know how to get rid of the "Bookmark" toolbar on iCab? That is the only feature I do not like and I can't seem to get rid of it. Every time I save a page, it gets bookmarked on top below the URL link.

24. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I bought both. Hate atomic's ugly interface. Icab crashed hard on pages with lots of photos and doesn't have google search suggestions (that I can find).

Back to Safari.

25. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I have both and I prefer Atomic. I have been going back and forth but I chose Atomic for a very simple reason: I like the full screen navi and toolbar icons and the ability to set their transparency over the "corner" type icons in iCab. I also prefer to have my toolbar in full screen at the bottom of the screen and the ability to customize what actually is in the full screen toolbar.

If anything, I would prefer iCab on the iPhone and Atomic on the iPad.