Atomic Hybrid Composite Case IP4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tsboy69, Nov 8, 2010.

1. tsboy69 macrumors regular

Just ordered tonight the new Hybrid from Atomic.

The Atomic Hybrid Composite Case is made of a light weight composite matereal coupled with 6061 billet aluminum. The Hybrid Composite case for iPhone 4 is only 15 grams. The case is entireley precision engineered and CNC machined.

The composite portion is available in White or Black - 15 different color combos are listed. It's price is $79.99

I think they are in California and so am I - They list FedEx home delivery, but am being charged $17.83. It should be 1/2 of that - I emailed them asking for an explination.

Habib's YouTube review got me excited - looking forward to getting this case - I have the Vapor on it now, and drop constantly (and much more than before I put the metal on the case).

2. solius macrumors regular

Let me know what they say. I was going to order until I saw that they were charging that much as well. I live in Alabama but still other companies are shipping for $5 easy so I would like to know why they are charging so much.

3. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

like every company, probably charging some insane handling fee. It costs 7-8$ to ship, but 9-10$ to pack.

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

5. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

Rip Off Pricing

So let's see. $10 more for material thats cost's less to manufacture and $20 USPS shipping fee (to east coast USA) for a flat rate box which costs $5 to anywhere.

Nice!

6. ufcfighter macrumors 6502

Actually delrin is not the only thing in the new cases. And if you actually look at the cost of delrin and some of the other composite's in the case, it actually cost more to manufacture. I went ahead and purchased one of each color. I will get pictures and reviews up hopefully tomorrow. I paid for overnight so I hope it gets here tomorrow. But you guys need to look at the cost of delrin and the cost to cut the material is not as easy as cnc'ing a piece of aluminum so that is why the case is more. I have been looking at this case awhile and there price actually seems about right. The shipping on the other hand is a tad high but maybe that is something they will change over the next couple of days. You guys have to understand that when you sell a case and ship it usps priority, you still have to purchase insurance and delivery confirmation to meet PayPal's requirements and that drives the price up to around 10 bucks right there. Just saying, I have shipped alot of cases and not one of them have cost less than 9 bucks. So I will report back tomorrow on this case and take plenty of pics and I will do a comparison with my ar15 and the raw and see how they all stack up against each other.

7. tsboy69 thread starter macrumors regular

I e-mailed them last night after ordering questioning the freight charges - I got a return e-mail from them this morning asking me where I got those charges, that it should be $8-9 for California. That's a good sign.

Priority Flat Rate may not work out, since they cannot trace - I know, I know, they can insure......

8. ufcfighter macrumors 6502

Actually within the US they can trace it. It's when it leaves the US it becomes untraceable. When they get delivery confirmation on the item, that lets them track the item. Although USPS's tracking is terrible and sometimes you get the package before USPS says its even shipped, they can tell you exactly when the package was delivered down to the exact time.But I think Atomic have been so busy trying to get these cases ready that they have had a hard time getting back to people who have sent email's like me. I see the spent alot of time on their site last night and I am sure they will get the shipping rates adjusted as necessary.

9. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

I see they have already adjusted their shipping rates....much more acceptable.

10. tsboy69 thread starter macrumors regular

UFC,

Good to know - the flat rate envelope at $4.95 or so might work out too!
    I'll post what happens to keep everyone updated.

11. solius macrumors regular

Well it does seem more reasonable now. Only $10 dollars for fedex home delivery. Ill wait on ufcfighters review though make sure these things are legitimate. Im getting the black/red mix :)

12. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I just ordered a hybrid case also. Having owned an original atomic case I am very happy with the customer service that I have received from them, despite all the nbad reports ive read I am more then satisfied!

13. clint2011 macrumors newbie

Atomic Hybrid

Purchased mine today too. gunmetal and black. Im pretty excited. Did anyone notice the pictures at the top of the atomic case webite? One of them had this caption "the silverback" and "coming soon". anyone know what thats all about? This is my very first forum post, to any forum. Ill post some pictures as soon as I get it...I payed 13 bucks for the fed ex home delivery i believe. I think we should figure out what this silverback thing is and try for a group order to get a fat discount...if its cool of course. :apple:

14. ufcfighter macrumors 6502

Well my Hybrids should be here sometime today it looks like. I have a white and gunmetal and black and lime and another orange cap too. I have alot going on this morning and I am not sure when they will get here today but I will make sure to post some pictures and give my initial impressions before the days end. The good thing and the main reason I purchased the gunmetal cap is because it will go great with both cases, not the lime but it just looked cool as hell in the pictures. Anyways, I will post up the pics as soon as I can this evening.

15. nles macrumors member

eagerly waiting for photos :p Still waiting to get my 1st aluminium case.

No to aluma and fusion already. So while waiting for vapor pre-order let's see how this atomic perform.

16. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

UFC, you must have some Jedi mind powers over theses sellers.

I ordered my case from Unni last week before they even listed them for sale and I still can't get a formal confirmation of my order.

Home from work today, hoping for an early Xmas.

17. glen e macrumors 68030

18. ufcfighter macrumors 6502

Well it had been along day, had a funeral this morning which kind of kills the rest of the day but when I got home my new Hybrids were here and to be honest I just wasn't in that great of a mood so I did not even open the package for awhile. When I finally decided to dig in I was actually presently surprised. Atomic has finally got packaging and not just a plain box with bubble wrap, an actual package that is very well put together. And then I took the cases out and was completely floored. How in the world is this the same company from 2 months ago. These cases are beautiful and flawless. Don't worry, lots of pics here in a few. But the colors and everything was perfect, I could not find 1 flaw on either case. You would never even know that the case was not a 100 percent aluminum if you did not know better. So I dug right in and started putting them through their paces and I was shocked at the results of every test I through at it. I will make a separate thread showing my results where I compared the Element vs The Fusion Raw vs. The Atomic Hybrid. No cheating was done, even though I completely hate element, I made the test completely fair with every case. No modifications. Straight from the box to the phone. I ordered a black and lime hybrid and a white and brushed hybrid and that actually gave my 3 color choices because when I put the brushed cap onto the black frame, it ended up being my favorite. And I have lots of pics of all three. But I will do the write up comparing the cases in all area's but this one, hands down is my favorite. It performs the best, the signal believe it or not actually was showing better than with no case and FINALLY there is a case on the market that the GPS is 100 percent accurate. The case is not bridle or cheap feeling at all. It feels very nice in your hand and very comfortable and its extremely light. Plus they finally did away with the cheap carbon fiber backing and actually in my opinion, Atomic's carbon feels and looks better than Element's does and it's actually thicker and made from a heavier grade material. Also the button is now completely flush which I really like, so no accidentally turning your screen off and on in your pocket. Just to warn you my camera is not the greatest but you will get the idea, the camera sucks but the case to looks great. Atomic has come along ways in the last several months, I will give them that and I can finally end my search for the perfect case. I absolutely love these and if I ever get tired of them I can just order different color caps and its like having a new case. But read the other thread I will make here in a few, but for now here are some pictures of the new Atomic Hybrid!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. peteisanidiot macrumors regular

Nice pictures. You may have sold me. Is it imperative to use the carbon sticker? Would this case absorb impact or merely transfer it?

20. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

UFC. I say it with love "I hate you :D"

Still don't have anything from anyone. Man I hate waiting. Good to hear the Hybrid might actually perform.

21. tsboy69 thread starter macrumors regular

UFC

How about the reception? Did you run a field test?

Also, how about a pic of the top of the Hybrid. Is there a button for the power or just a cut out?

Thanks for posting!

22. yankintx macrumors 6502

Probably a dumb question, but what do they mean by hybrid? Is any part of the case aluminum, or is it all delrin?

23. troop231 macrumors 603

The part that covers the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi/GPS portion of the antenna is Delrin, and the remaining portion covering the 3G band of the antenna is Aluminum :cool:

[​IMG]

24. ufcfighter macrumors 6502

No I am not using my carbon, I just wanted it to compare with elements. As far as absorbing impact, I don't know. Unfortunately I won't do that test for you. I don't have an extra 600 if it fails. But I would think it would do as good as the others.

25. ufcfighter macrumors 6502

I ran lots of field test, gps tests and wifi test and it performs. I made another post with pictures but I was very impressed. I have a picture there, I think its the 7th one down that shows the power button, its just damn near flush, which I love because now you don't have to worry about accidentally hitting it.