Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Here is the real question. In what kind of condition does it need to be in for you to get the full $800. They could say oh a Knick on it. You get $700

Answers the questions on tradein site

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
You and I are in the same age group, lol. There wasn’t even caller id or call waiting yet on landlines. And we all had telephone directories! Most people didn’t own a microwave and nobody I knew had a video camera. The first ones were huge!

And our phone # was TR7-1681

Reactions: Lsmachado

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
You and I are in the same age group, lol. There wasn’t even caller id or call waiting yet on landlines. And we all had telephone directories! Most people didn’t own a microwave and nobody I knew had a video camera. The first ones were huge!
Much better time to grow up. No cell phones to distract people. When you were with friends or family you were in the moment with the people, what was being said etc. When at concerts, you watched and listened to the people on stage. Your memory was what would retain the events. No sea of cell phones taking video and photos and inane selfies. I wouldn’t mind being 20 again but I am so glad I experienced my teens in the 70’s compared to today.

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
Does anyone have experience with a promo like this with AT&T? Does the phone have to be a phone that's in use on my account now or can it be any qualifying phone?
I currently use an XS Max, which is easily worth $600 on Swappa or Marketplace. Instead of trading that in for an $800 credit can I just buy a refurbished iPhone 8 from Target or Best Buy for $300 and then use that for my $800 credit?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Does anyone have experience with a promo like this with AT&T? Does the phone have to be a phone that's in use on my account now or can it be any qualifying phone?
I currently use an XS Max, which is easily worth $600 on Swappa or Marketplace. Instead of trading that in for an $800 credit can I just buy a refurbished iPhone 8 from Target or Best Buy for $300 and then use that for my $800 credit?

Why would you spend $300 to get $800 = $500 when you can trade in your XS for $800?

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
Why would you spend $300 to get $800 = $500 when you can trade in your XS for $800?

If the 8 and XS Max receives the same credit then I would gladly spend $300 on a refurbed 8 and then sell my XS Max for $600 and net $300. If I just trade in my XS Max then I net $0.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
And a lot of people had phones with rotary dialers!

And I remember when my family moved to South Dakota (and to Northwestern Bell), and all of a sudden we had to buy phones for the first time. I think nearly $100/phone for dial tone. My parents had always rented phones before.

Reactions: Lsmachado

ravic

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
If the 8 and XS Max receives the same credit then I would gladly spend $300 on a refurbed 8 and then sell my XS Max for $600 and net $300. If I just trade in my XS Max then I net $0.

I have done that before. It does not matter which provider too. It has to be functional, no cracks, no activation locks (Find My iPhone stuff).

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
Yep, like ravic said, functional, no cracks, locks, and icloud lock turned off. Must work and power on and charge.

If none of those work, you basically get nothing for it, per what others have on the Android site for Note 20 trade ins they had. I bought one on ebay for $190 in mint condition, and worked great. So I have it waiting to be traded in once the new device comes in.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA

I was thinking about the same thing. Sell my 11 pro max. Buy an 8 and do the same thing! I bet a lot of people will be doing that so who knows how long this deal will last cause of it.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
I had the old unlimited plus for all my 3 lines. I just switched to the unlimited elite for all 3 lines since I will need 5G access on all phones and I saved $20. Gained 5G access and 50 more GB of data. Works for me. Plus I upgrade every year for all 3 phones but I prefer to pay up front. For me it works better that dealing with upgrade and a $5 surcharge.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I had the old unlimited plus for all my 3 lines. I just switched to the unlimited elite for all 3 lines since I will need 5G access on all phones and I saved $20. Gained 5G access and 50 more GB of data. Works for me. Plus I upgrade every year for all 3 phones but I prefer to pay up front. For me it works better that dealing with upgrade and a $5 surcharge.

I am on the same old unlimited plan for 2 lines and a watch. If I switch to one top and one middle tier plans I will end up paying $5 more. But I also had a $10 credit on my old plan cause I bitched about the $30 fee since i Upgrade every year as well. I was on old ATT next and never payed an extra $5, it was included. But this year they won’t let me get away with it so I am going to just pay it off in full from the jump. Not having a $50 monthly finance charge will be great! And getting my daughter a free 12 cause she has the 8.. will be a good year for us ATT people

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
I am on the same old unlimited plan for 2 lines and a watch. If I switch to one top and one middle tier plans I will end up paying $5 more. But I also had a $10 credit on my old plan cause I bitched about the $30 fee since i Upgrade every year as well. I was on old ATT next and never payed an extra $5, it was included. But this year they won’t let me get away with it so I am going to just pay it off in full from the jump. Not having a $50 monthly finance charge will be great! And getting my daughter a free 12 cause she has the 8.. will be a good year for us ATT people

Yeah man, just makes sense to pay in full for me for any phone I get.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I honestly sell them through Craigslist when I don’t have a buyer for it already.

Ya I have done that every year. Cash, no fees.m and no shipping. Except they try and talk you down or say oh I only have this much.

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
I was thinking about the same thing. Sell my 11 pro max. Buy an 8 and do the same thing! I bet a lot of people will be doing that so who knows how long this deal will last cause of it.
I bought refurbished 8’s off Target.com for just under $300ea. I know cheaper ones can be found on second hand sites but I assume I am less likely to have an issue with a phone from a big box retailer. I hope the deal extends to the Pro Max because I’m waiting to upgrade one line.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I have never done a monthly plan for a phone, especially with AT&T next, is it worth it? I have an XsMax with zero defects (literally picked up my replacement device today), but I don't want to finance for 30 months. Can I pay it off early? Paying $400 for a new Iphone sounds amazing but what are the exact catches for this. I am on the unlimited plan so worth it?

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Everybody is amazed by this deal, but... I read that you have to have the top tier unlimited plan ($75) on each line you want that deal on. You can’t have the $60/$65 unlimited plan to qualify for this deal. Which will screw alot of people I assume.
Anybody else see this?
That is not correct. You can have any unlimited plan. If you want 5G, then you can choose one of three offered, but any unlimited plan is fine. There is already a whole thread about this. https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...s.2260056/page-25?post=29062223#post-29062223

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.