Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpoop

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2017
Not quite. At regular price, his wireless bill eventually goes down once the device is paid off. With this, there's no going back to the old plan so his annual bill is forever $360 more per year than he used to pay.

Exactly. Which is why I paid in full for the 12 pro. I still get to keep my $73 dollar a month outdated plan with the latest iPhone.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
I’m not sure that’s really as good of a deal as you think. If you get 12 months of $26.67 credits that’s $320, but remember that you have to trade in a phone to get those credits. Maybe if you were trading in an iPhone 8 you could come out ahead by a little. But like you said, iPhone 11 pro’s are going for $650 on swappa, so you wouldn’t want to trade in an iPhone 11 Pro for just $320 in credits.

If you’re an upgrade every year type person you would be better off selling your current phone and buying the iPhone 12 outright and passing on this deal.

Yes true, but it also worked out in my actual situation. I paid off my 256gb 11 pro after a year for $650 and sold it for $800. I bought an iPhone 8 for $175 and am using that for trade in.

I typically do what you mentioned in your 2nd paragraph because they usually don’t run these types of deals at release, at least for existing customers. This year was a little more work but it was worth it.

mwhals

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I guess people don’t get that I don’t want the iPhone 12 nor do I want any credit. 5G is not available in my area and the 12 has nothing over the 11 that I care about.

Also, I still win in the long run by keeping my phone for 3 or more years. I save $500+ by not upgrading even with the $800 credit. That $500+ is worth much more worth in my 401k than in an iPhone that depreciates.

Why would I turn over a perfectly good iPhone 11 Pro Max 512 Gb and then pay $500+ difference for an iPhone 12 Pro Max 512 GB that offers nothing of which I care, except 5G (not available in my area)?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Why would I turn over a perfectly good iPhone 11 Pro Max 512 Gb and then pay $500+ difference for an iPhone 12 Pro Max 512 GB that offers nothing of which I care, except 5G (not available in my area)?
Yeah, I wouldn't trade that in either. This deal really is more for folks with iPhone 8 or something and won't need to pay too much out of pocket for their new device.

Reactions: arefbe

ozboaz

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Dallas
My current X is cracked and only got $85 credit for it. Could I trade my old, mint iPhone 8 Plus for $800 credit, or it has to be my current phone?

xtac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
I guess people don’t get that I don’t want the iPhone 12 nor do I want any credit. 5G is not available in my area and the 12 has nothing over the 11 that I care about.

Also, I still win in the long run by keeping my phone for 3 or more years. I save $500+ by not upgrading even with the $800 credit. That $500+ is worth much more worth in my 401k than in an iPhone that depreciates.

Few reasons:

Display
  • 6.7 inches vs 6.5 inches
  • Ceramic Shield vs Gorilla Glass
  • 2778 x 1284 vs 2688 x 1242 pixels
Camera
  • 2.5x vs 2x telephoto optical zoom
  • Sensor Shift OIS vs Single OIS
  • 5mm larger 7P vs 6P lenses
  • F/1.6 vs F/1.8 wide-angle lens aperture
  • Larger sensor and pixels for better low-light shots
  • LiDAR camera for AR/VR apps
  • Dolby Vision video, Smart HDR 3, Deep Fusion 2, Night Mode Portraits
Specs

• Apple A14 5nm vs Apple A13 7nm chipset
  • 5G vs 4G LTE connectivity
  • 6GB vs 4GB RAM
  • 6 vs 4 meters water-resistance depth
    4400mAh vs 3969mAh battery

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
so I see how to trade in the device online, but does anybody know the procedures for doing it at a store?
Yes, you. can trade it in to an ATT store

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 10.16.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 10.16.18 PM.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 209

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Apple is giving $140 up front for an iPhone 8.
T-Mobile adds $150 on top of whatever Apple offers.
I think Verizon is giving $440 over 2 years.
With so many complaints about this AT&T offer I’m very curious to hear what people think a good yet competitive deal would be.
T-Mobile is offering these trade in deals. My sister switched her two ATT lines for T-Mobile's 55+ Magenta Unlimited plan and two $530 trade ins for their iPhone 7 and 7+ for two iPhone 12 Pros. She is saving $30 per month over ATT with two new phones included.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 6.07.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 6.07.51 AM.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Not quite. At regular price, his wireless bill eventually goes down once the device is paid off. With this, there's no going back to the old plan so his annual bill is forever $360 more per year than he used to pay.
Yes that’s why I said after 30 months he’d be in the same spot because he didn’t change his plan and paid full price for the phone, he’d just have the new iPhone and paid the same price over the 30 months. After that his plan would go back to his regular price.

seancy

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
There are reasonable 'buy it now' deals on Ebay for refurbished iphone 8 unlocked 64GB models. Are there any caveats in the trade in offer that would preclude a refurbished iphone 8 in good condition?

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
You won’t be able to pay the early. You’ll have to wait until the 30 months is over to get the full benefits. So if you want to trade in the phone next year to upgrade to the new phone, you will have to pay the full remaining price of the phone without the credits added to it. Thats the catch.

If you don’t like that, then go with the “next” option which will let you upgrade after paying half the amount of the phone. And they charge you $5.00 a month for the “next” option.

Don’t like that, then buy the phone at full price.

I go with the 3rd option every year for 2 new Pro Max versions for my wide and I. Would be 3 but the wife doesn’t think my 11 year old needs a née pro model every year. Guess he’s stuck with the XR for at least another year.

Last edited:

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018

And we care if you want it or not? Why would we care? Are you looking for validation from us with what you posted? If not, why post it? We don’t care if you want the iPhone 12 or not or credits.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
This deal seems too good to be true, but I guess they just want you to upgrade. I have a iPhone X that has no damage or scratches on it. Hopefully, that will be good enough to qualify for the $800 in credits.

appletvbob

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
I just lost 45 minutes of my life I'll never recoup with the slowest online chat being to ever roam this planet. "Daryl" couldn't get past his dumb marketing questions to give me any answers, information, or comparative numbers. Yes, I want to change plans because, (yes) I know I have to in order to get the $800 trade-in for my 8plus. Arrgh. Which unlimited plan "Daryl?" Is it that difficult? No, I'm not telling you what I use my data for. I have a Foundation account... can you factor that in? Hello... hello... can you hear me? Okay, rant over. Call AT&T or roll the dice with the online chat support again? We never even got to the fees: activation fee, upgrade fee? Loyalty consideration for being with AT&T since it was Cingular Wireless? oops, I forgot to stop ranting.

Reactions: bbeagle

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
You won’t be able to pay the early. You’ll have to wait until the 30 months is over to get the full benefits. So if you want to trade in the phone next year to upgrade to the new phone, you will have to pay the full remaining price of the phone without the credits added to it. Thats the catch.

If you don’t like that, then go with the “next” option which will let you upgrade after paying half the amount of the phone. And they charge you $5.00 a month for the “next” option.

Don’t like that, then buy the phone at full price.

I go with the 3rd option every year for 2 new Pro Max versions for my wide and I. Would be 3 but the wife doesn’t think my 11 year old needs a née pro model every year. Guess he’s stuck with the XR for at least another year.
Really depends on situation. If trading in an ip8 for example. Trade in and pay off after a year is still just as good as anything else. No way worth next $5 surcharge.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I just lost 45 minutes of my life I'll never recoup with the slowest online chat being to ever roam this planet. "Daryl" couldn't get past his dumb marketing questions to give me any answers, information, or comparative numbers. Yes, I want to change plans because, (yes) I know I have to in order to get the $800 trade-in for my 8plus. Arrgh. Which unlimited plan "Daryl?" Is it that difficult? No, I'm not telling you what I use my data for. I have a Foundation account... can you factor that in? Hello... hello... can you hear me? Okay, rant over. Call AT&T or roll the dice with the online chat support again? We never even got to the fees: activation fee, upgrade fee? Loyalty consideration for being with AT&T since it was Cingular Wireless? oops, I forgot to stop ranting.
Who knows if got real a person. The chat will try and use computer interaction as long as possible.
[automerge]1603120525[/automerge]
This deal seems too good to be true, but I guess they just want you to upgrade. I have a iPhone X that has no damage or scratches on it. Hopefully, that will be good enough to qualify for the $800 in credits.
Really good for ip8 or ipx trade in.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
Really depends on situation. If trading in an ip8 for example. Trade in and pay off after a year is still just as good as anything else. No way worth next $5 surcharge.

For sure depends on the situation. That why I just put why I do. Not what others should do. But if you don’t go for the next upgrade, and you trade in your phone to get a promo deal, you “can’t” pay it off after a year with any credits applied. You will pay for the full retail price of the phone.

Reactions: Wags

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
And we care if you want it or not? Why would we care? Are you looking for validation from us with what you posted? If not, why post it? We don’t care if you want the iPhone 12 or not or credits.
Yea if he doesn’t want it then why is he posting here in the thread about the deal lol

Reactions: drew05

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
There are reasonable 'buy it now' deals on Ebay for refurbished iphone 8 unlocked 64GB models. Are there any caveats in the trade in offer that would preclude a refurbished iphone 8 in good condition?
Any iPhone 8 should work. Usually the only things that will disqualify you are 1. Water damage 2. Cracked front or back 3. Hasn’t been paid off
As long as it doesn’t have those you should be fine.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
For sure depends on the situation. That why I just put why I do. Not what others should do. But if you don’t go for the next upgrade, and you trade in your phone to get a promo deal, you “can’t” pay it off after a year with any credits applied. You will pay for the full retail price of the phone.
Thinking with this promo it would be best to take how ever long credits and then just pay off. Paying extra $75 for 15 months use and then they take the ip12. Won’t let trade until 50% paid towards msrp.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

I would personally get from a private seller selling on a one off

you can probably get as good a deal with pictures and asking questions

I got a gold 64iPhone8 set to arrive tomorrow

no cracks or anything, unlocked paid off for $210 shipped

don’t wanna give up my se2020 :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.