ATT bill - $713!?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by galactic732, Aug 21, 2008.

1. galactic732 macrumors member

So it looks like ATT forgot to add a data plan to one of my iPhone lines on my family plan, which lead to $500+ of overage fees.

They seem to be clearly in the wrong but are delaying refunding my money back.

I thought an iPhone couldn't be used (unless unlocked) without a data plan, so how did I get out of the store without one? (kind of like blackberrys on verizon)

Also, has this happened to anyone else? any advice you can give me on how to talk to them would be great.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just call them, calmly explain that you have an iPhone, which requires a data plan, and that any charges for data are null and void. In about 10 minutes they will have it fixed.

Heck, the iPhone data plan even covers data used on non-iPhones while using your iPhone SIM.

TEG

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

The data plan is included in the UK and $75 in the US as an add-on

4. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I had a similar issue up here in Canada with Rogers, a $1500 bill, I simply called them they ensured that the right things were on my plan and immediately credited my account for the error.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The iPhone Data Plan is required for the iPhone and is $30 on top of the voice plans.

TEG

6. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

att is the most cluster fuc*ed run company on the planet

7. wronski macrumors 6502

Did you not double check your receipt or account online for a month?

8. theevilone macrumors member

Att will not do anything about it you will have too pay. Go to tmobile at least they will not cheat you out of money.

9. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

They did the same thing with me. I called them up and they credited me back.

10. wronski macrumors 6502

They credit people back for stuff like this all the time as far as I hear. T-Mobile isn't some heavenly company either.

11. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

They will gladly credit it back as it was an error. In fact, AT&T has always been very good to me when it comes to questions about the bill, etc. I've been with them for over 10 years and have no complaints. Recently, I thought they over-charged me about $80 when I went to a family plan, so I called and asked about it. The agent explained why the charge was valid(the conversion of my plan meant I paid for the next month, too), but he then immediately credited it back to me as a courtesy "for my trouble." It was my fault for not reading the details of the conversion, but I got the credit nonetheless.

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

True. T-Mobile often doubles the tax and fee charges for no real reason. I know a dozen people who left them for that.

TEG

13. California King macrumors 65816

So what happened? You used the internet without adding a data plan? $713 is insane!!

14. wronski macrumors 6502

The fees for data without a plan are very high.

15. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

when I activated my iphone in store, I paid the 199 bucks right there for the 8gb. My first monthly bill has an extra 299 charge. I called them up,and the rep said I didn't pay for my 16g in store and it was charged to my account. I said I have my receipt and she told me to bring it to the store to get my money. WTF!

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Clearly, you haven't been a Sprint customer :D

17. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

After Sprint....

Don't worry, AT&T should credit you back.

EDIT: LOL is appears scaredpoet agrees!

18. illutionz macrumors 65816

After dying sprint

Wrong, this kind of thing can be fixed easily. If they see you using iPhone without the data plan, they know something wrong has happened :)

19. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

idk if this is kinda like the situation above but...

my dad (and i) both got 8GB iPhone 3G's on release, and he wanted 16 but they only had it in white. So he waited for a while and after we got back from vacation and then BEFORE the 30 days were up, he went to the att store, did an exchange in which he would be allowed to restock it back to att (where we got it) and were allowed to get the 16GB at the apple store, because that day they only had it in stock. So anyways when we got to apple, they said my dads name wasn't on the system and we had to buy it at the non eligible price of 499. So my dad smartly just said ok and bought it and when we got home he called att and told em that they couldn't find his name in the system and they said ok, were transfering the 200 dollars back to your credit card :DD

soo they CAN give you your money back if you explain to them what happened.

20. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Why did you even pay it?

21. DreamPod macrumors 65816

He probably has it setup to auto-pay - this is exactly why I don't do that until I've gotten at least a couple bills :)

22. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

My first Rogers bill after getting the iPhone was around $900. Clearly wrong. So, the first thing I did was call Rogers and tell them I wanted to return the phone and revert back to my Razr. I was transferred to "Renentions" and a nice woman not only credited me the overages and an additional credit for the inconvenience, I ended up getting a better plan for less money.

23. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I Just got a bill of over $800 for the first iPhone month, and they refused to look into it over the phone.

24. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

if you revert back to the raze, won't you have to pay cancellation fees for your iPhone? I ask because it is past the 14 day grave period, and I'm actually thinking about going back to my trio.

25. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Apparently you are WRONG.