ATT Bumping Iphone upgrade = more evidence Verizon Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djdsas, Jun 6, 2010.

1. djdsas macrumors member

Ok so this morning many people that were previously not eligible
    for ATT upgrade pricing until November have suddely had the
    dates bumped up - yesterday I was 11/20/2010, now this
    morning I am eligible now...

Does anyone think that this along with the new $375 ETF is more
    evidence that Verizon is gonna get the Iphone in November or
    eaily 2011?

2. Farns514 macrumors 6502

Farns514

No way would any other carrier be getting it earlier here. It would be a breach of contract

3. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Umm. What contract?

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is possible, but who knows for sure? That said, I don't think that it will happen.

5. Farns514 macrumors 6502

Farns514

The one that Apple has with AT&T in regards to the 5 year Exclusivity of the iPhone.

6. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Hmm. Got a link?

7. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

In the business world, contracts are broken every day. This can easily happen legally when one party fails to uphold their terms of agreement. Nothing is set in stone. It's quite naïve to believe that Apple is "forced" to remain exclusive.

I was unaware that this had ever been officially stated by any source at all. :eek: Could have sworn that it was still speculation.

8. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

9. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Never give up guys, its comming to Verizon.....
    One day it will eventually :D

11. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

For cryin' out loud, I hope that Apple releases an iPhone on both Verizon and Sprint. Then all the whiners can leave, I can have my AT&T network (which, BTW, has been nearly flawless for me since day one), and there will be even less of a drain on AT&T's resources.

12. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

I attribute it to an imminent release of the iPhone 4. As in this coming Tuesday. :)

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Because Apple made a statement referring to the USA Today article as being proof that a exclusivity contract was common knowledge.

But yes, contracts usually have allowances for different ways for each party to terminate.

14. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Hope so, very much looking forward to it. :cool:

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

If you lived in an area where it wasn't so great, you'd be the whiner. :rolleyes:

16. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

No, I'd just buy a different phone and an iPod Touch. :D

*Edit - I hear what you're saying. I just find it a waste to complain over things which we have no control over.

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

The reason I bought my first Smartphone was to keep from carrying 2 devices. The iPhone allowed me to combine 3 devices.

Yeah, some people whine, but most of us just express our desire to have a Verizon iPhone. But when people talk about Verizon whiners, I feel like they are lumping us all together (and often they are...but admittedly maybe not all "Verizon whiner" comments are directed at all of us.)

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yes, Ver-iPhone at the end of the year.

Mum's the word, though, because any leak of that info would destroy smartphone sales until the release.

19. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Same here. At the time I purchased the Gen 1 iPhone, I was walking around with an iPod, a Palm T|X, and a Motorolla RAZR. An unfortunate bathroom accident rendered the RAZR inoperable, and AT&T wanted $350 to replace the phone (which they'd just given me for free 12 months prior). I figured that if they were going to charge me $350 for a RAZR, I'd bump in the extra $50, get the iPhone, and consolidate 3 devices.

You're correct, I'm not attempting to lump people together, I apologize if I offended. I'm talking about the people who think that AT&T is such an evil company and that the likes of Verizon and/or Sprint will treat them with kid gloves, etc.

Truth be told, if my reception was bad here in Rochester, I might consider another carrier for the iPhone, but luckily, it's not been a problem as of yet. That and we've been with the same carrier for over a decade, back when it was Cell One.

For those out there who aren't complaining and simply want decent reception, I do hope that Verzion and/or Sprint releases an iPhone. I honestly believe that if we could get the iPhone base spread out over the 3 carriers, it'd be beneficial for all users involved. :)

20. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

But... how is that bad for Apple and therefore why should Apple care?

Why would Apple protect sales of Android, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile devices? Your path of logic is faulty.

21. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Regardless of whatever reason you want to assign to it this made me go and look.

I'm eligible and that's all I care about.

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Any reason people are given to wait and not purchase the current release is bad for Apple as well as AT&T.

23. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

He was talking about the Verizon iPhone. It doesn't matter that people wouldn't be buying the current one on AT&T, as Apple would still get their money on Verizon.

Remove exclusivity from the equation and Apple doesn't have to care about anyone but Apple.