ATT changing fees - Get out of contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thespazz, Jan 19, 2011.

1. thespazz macrumors 6502a

2. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

No, as they are letting current users keep whatever plan they are on. This will only apply to new customers and current customers who chose to switch.

3. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

+1, they are not forcing you on the new plan.

4. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

The wireless carriers are a very smart beat. They know how to whore you out of your money yet keep you on a leash.

Why the hell are they increasing the price on the microcell? Seriously - they are getting smashed left and right for their unreliable service and this is what they do?

The state of wireless carriers in this country is abysmal.

EDIT: Increased activation fees? Why for ****s sake? Are they trying to discourage new lines?

5. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Honestly, because I think they realize people need it (i.e. for their homes and at work, due to poor connectivity inside of buildings), meaning, since people need it, we will charge more! I don't agree with anything AT&T has been doing lately.

6. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

AT&T ua:
    We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your Services at any time. We will provide you with notice of material changes (other than changes to governmental fees, proportional charges for governmental mandates, roaming rates or administrative charges) either in your monthly bill or separately. You understand and agree that State and Federal Universal Service Fees and other governmentally imposed fees, whether or not assessed directly upon you, may be increased based upon the government's or our calculations.

IF WE INCREASE THE PRICE OF ANY OF THE SERVICES TO WHICH YOU SUBSCRIBE, BEYOND THE LIMITS SET FORTH IN YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUMMARY, OR IF WE MATERIALLY DECREASE THE GEOGRAPHICAL AREA IN WHICH YOUR AIRTIME RATE APPLIES (OTHER THAN A TEMPORARY DECREASE FOR REPAIRS OR MAINTENANCE), WE'LL DISCLOSE THE CHANGE AT LEAST ONE BILLING CYCLE IN ADVANCE (EITHER THROUGH A NOTICE WITH YOUR BILL, A TEXT MESSAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, OR OTHERWISE), AND YOU MAY TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT WITHOUT PAYING AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE OR RETURNING OR PAYING FOR ANY PROMOTIONAL ITEMS, PROVIDED YOUR NOTICE OF TERMINATION IS DELIVERED TO US WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER THE FIRST BILL REFLECTING THE CHANGE.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep, sorry OP, but this won't work.

8. thespazz, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011

thespazz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was specifically looking at the increased international fees. Or am I wrong?

Edit: Reading the UA, I guess they can change those whenever they want! Disregard :)

9. jav6454, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011

jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not this time. You can't use the current change as an excuse as AT&T is grandfathering you, so your contract stays intact. Sneaky way of changing prices without breaking contracts.

10. thespazz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Including the international fees, though? I'm not cool with it...they aren't grandfathering me in with the old fees.

11. mobiletech macrumors member

Simple way of fixing them, every two years switch carriers. Though since these two companies control the market, the government may charge them with price fixing.

12. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Too bad I wouldn't be able to retain my unlimited data if I ever wanted to come back to AT&T. This really does irritate me. Either Apple is seriously squeezing both of these companies' manhood for cash or Verizon getting the iPhone is going to lead to these two companies price fixing all the way I the bank. I'd never use them but I hope T-Mobile, Sprint and hell even U.S. Cellular one day hey the iPhone to even out the playing field.

13. mitch94mac macrumors newbie

I was wondering about this myself as well regarding the change in international fees. I don't think AT&T customers are grandfathered into the old fees...are they?