Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctrlnick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Hi I am an ATT Customer since 2 yrs and my contract ends Jan 08 , I have a W810i phone on the contract.

I recently bought a 2G iPhone through my friend who is an ATT employee.

The iPhonse is sold as a unit without contract.

I got an email when I purchased the phone, on how to activate the iPhone
1) Download iTunes
2)Connect iPhone
3) Follow the iTunes prompts to activate

The intention of buying the iPhone 2G was to unlock it and also install various iApps on it , play games and use it on any service providers network.

My Question
1) How do I unlock the phone
2) How do I install apps on the phone
3) Can I Activate the phone as said in the email, before I unlock it ?

I didnt open the UPS package, So before I start I want to make sure that I dont permanently lock the iPhone with ATT .

PLease give me step by step instructions..

Thanks

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Yeah..don't bump.

2) You can unlock it before activating it, FYI: If you activate, it won't extend your contract.
3) Download/Install QuickPwn.
4) Follow the steps. download the bootloads.

actually download the bootloaders first..THEN follow the steps :D

ctrlnick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Thanks

I called AT&T Customer care

They said once I activate the iPhone, I will have a new 2 yr contract in place !!!

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
All you had to do was put your W810i SIM card in the 2G iPhone. There shouldn't be an extended contract b/c you didn't buy the iPhone at a subsidized price (unless b/c it was an employee purchase). The last thing to do is call AT&T about unlocking the iPhone or activating it. You probably could have walked over to T-Mobile and they would do the unlock for you and issue a new SIM card. If you are talking about "Jailbreaking" your iPhone, you could still JB it via quickpwn then add 3rd party apps at will; just do a google search and their homepage will popup and they'll walk you through the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.