Att customer data breach! SSNs & Drivers License info stolen (UPDATE: only 1600 cust)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hal~9000, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Hal~9000, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

EDIT: Looks like the breach 'only' affected 1,600 customers *whew!*

http://threatpost.com/att-hit-by-insider-breach/108705
    Why the **** are employees able to access full SS #'s and drivers licenses so easily AT&T?! :mad:

Whelp... sure hope no one on the forum is affected :(

2. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Thank you for passing this info along. I hope my husband and I haven't been affected. I'll ask him later if he got any correspondence from AT&T about this. Jeez, on top of the preorder snafu that some of us were calling AT&T preorder purgatory and the fact I can't get much of a signal inside my house, we are just not loving AT&T very much right now. Usually, though, their customer service has been decent, so I'll give them at least that much.

3. 617aircav Suspended

And people want to pay with phones. Be prepared for more of this.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I hate it when they say "unspecified number of users"!

Password changed

----------

I am not jumping on that band wagon till I have to do so. So many here will take the leap just because it involves using their iPhone..

5. deviant macrumors 65816

that's exactly the reason i want to pay with my phone. so nobody ever sees my documents/credit card/name.

6. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

NP. Just want to spread the word so others on the forum are informed and can inquire if they were affected / change passwords.

Data breaches like this makes me want to go prepaid. At least they don't require a SSN or drivers license...

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Nothing is really secure anymore. All of your doctor's records and information about you is now in a data base that is not even close to being secured. What happened to JP Morgan is juist a tip of the iceburg as most companies that got hacked are keeping it secret.

I suggest everyone join a credit reporting agency and set it up to alarm you if there are any problems. FreeCredit.com works well at about $20 a month and after tyou have been with them for a few months you can call them up to cancel and they will drop you monthly fee to $5 a month, well worth it. Twice a year they will let you pull all three scores for free. Sorry this is not an ad for them, there are many out there.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

And yet, if it wasn't ATT it would be some other retailer that has your credit card info. I'm not inferring that this is not a problem but rather you cannot hide from it. :(

9. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Good advice. Seems like in the future people need to start checking their credit report daily just like they do their email or bank account. Right now I have the 1-year free due to the Target breach.

Sucky but very true :(

At least retailers didn't leak SSN's and Drivers Licenses like AT&T did :mad: ...'just' credit card info.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Absolutely stinks for those customers, but a risk of the system. Another reason to be a vigilant and well-researched consumer.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

True, and having the SSN is a bad thing, though I don't recall needing to provide ATT (or VZW as that's who I'm with now), my driver's license. Its been a while since I signed up so I may have forgotten about that.

12. Merkie macrumors 68020

What has AT&T got to do with the iPhone? There are hundreds of carriers around the world carrying the iPhone. Please head over to attrumors.com, thx. :rolleyes:

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Heh, strict privacy guidelines. Restricting access is too much, just dispense some friendly suggestions and you're set.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The ATT preorder thread has 870,000 views and 8,700 posts. I personally have Verizon, but if leaving a post on the most-viewed page helps some people out and prevents them from being a victim of fraud or identity theft, I'm ok with that. Are you not?

15. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Who pissed in your cheerios this morning? :rolleyes:

16. Merkie macrumors 68020

No, I'm not. This is an iPhone board. I come here to read what other people have to say about the iPhone. All iPhone unrelated chatter is just noise.

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The other day, my 3-year-old threw a conniption fit bc we stopped to help a guy change his tire, but she wanted to keep driving b/c we were headed to get a cake pop from Starbucks. We tried explaining to her that the inconvenience to her was worth helping someone out, but she just didn't get it. :cool:

18. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Yeah, little kids (and even some forum members) don't always have the mental capacity to appreciate helping others. Glad there are mature people such as yourself in the world who do :)

19. *KID* macrumors regular

Great analogy. I don't even have AT&T but appreciate the info, because I have friends who do.

20. TSKY74 macrumors regular

TSKY74

Thanks for the post. I guess shortly AT&T users will start receiving the notification from AT&T about this and hopefully the one year credit monitoring service.

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You may want to read up on the security behind Apple Pay...there would need to be a breach coordinated across four areas and someone would have to have your thumbprint.

It's way safer than any current payment system.

22. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

Awesome.

While I don't have AT&T, my son does through his grandparents purchasing him an iPhone on their plan a few years ago. I've already sent text messages to let them all know. Only thing, my son may not see it right away since he is in the field currently, but he checks his phone as soon as he is able.

23. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

TMobile couldn't have asked for a better thing to happen to them. I'm going to see what I have to do to get TMobile instead. AT&T clearly doesn't want my $300/month business.

24. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

This doesn't surprise me at all. AT&T is simply joining all the other companies like; Target, Acme, ect. who have had their customers data stolen.

25. erzhik macrumors 6502

And people call me crazy for refusing to give companies my ssn.