ATT Deposit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nomar383, Jun 24, 2008.

1. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

So, I have been on a family plan for about 3 years now. When the new iPhone comes out I am considering getting my own plan. So I have 2 questions I hope someone can answer (I really don't feel like talking to AT&T and getting multiple answers lol)

1. Can I take my current number from AT&T and not be charged an ETF fee? I have been on our current contract for about a 15 months and I wonder if they will charge me an ETF fee for beginning a new contract with the same company.

2. What kind of deposit do you figure they will require? I don't really have any credit (no good or bad credit that is)

Thanks in advance for any input

2. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I'm assuming you're using a phone line with someone else's name attached?

If that's correct, your best bet would be to have that person call up and request to transfer the account to your name, this way you'll get to keep the phone number if it's that important.

Yes, you'll have to go through a credit check in order to get in transferred into your name, if you don't pass they'll ask to pay a deposit, from what I hear it can range anywhere from $500- $800/1000? you may have to pay the higher amount for no credit as opposed to having bad credit..

If you open another account seperately, you won't get to port the number since technically it's not your number.. that's why I'd recommend you have the account holder call up and request to transfer that particular line into your name..

3. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

As far as the deposit part goes, I had to pay like 200 bucks first time I went to ATT. That was years ago. I went a couple weeks ago, and had someone see if i had to put another deposit. Right then and there, he said no deposit needed. I got his card, just in case someone else said otherwise.

4. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Deposits for AT&T range from $75 to I believe $750. One with no credit would probably be looking at the middle to high end of that range, probably between $300 and $500.

5. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

Thanks for the input guys. I figured it would be between 200-500 for the deposit

Anyone else have an idea on the ETF fee?

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

The ETF is $175

7. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

lol, did you read the post? I know how much it is, I am just wondering if I would get charged it for creating a new contract and transferring my number within the same company.

8. tritonj macrumors 6502a

did you renew the contract after 2 years? since you say you've been on the plan for 3 years now but are 15 months into a contract.

if you're only on month to month after the 2 years, then there is no EFT.

as for a deposit, only ATT can tell you that, it really depends on what your credit looks like

9. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

You could transfer the line to your own account. Details here (down the page)

You could also add your self as a authorized user in OLAM. Have your mom log in and perform this action on the site or call in and have your name added.

10. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

After the first 2 years, we signed a new contract (April 2007). I guess I will just have to go and ask

11. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Another option would be to post the same question on HowardForums. A lot of AT&T corporate reps hang out there and can answer complex questions like this.

12. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Is it your contract or someone else's contract that you're using???

If it's someone else's contract, again, they'll have to call tell AT&T that you've been making the payments and you'd like to take over the contract and request the transfer (I believe there's an $18 fee) for you to be able to keep the current phone number..

The only thing you can currently do is, setup an account as a "new" customer.. which means you get a new phone number..

13. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

Like I said I am on a family plan currently. It is under my mom's name. I guess I'll tell her to give em a call. I would rather not deal with all of this on launch day, I wonder if I can take care of it all before then

14. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

If you don't mind keeping the contract the way it is,ie. staying under your moms name on the family plan, just have you or your mom sign into the AT&T website, go to the profile section and add you as an "Authorized User".. she can even call AT&T and do this..

This will give you the ability to upgrade to the new iPhone or any phone for that matter, you just won't be able to make changes to the contract..

That's the easiest fix, unless your gung ho on having your own contract..

15. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

This would be fine with me I guess, but what is the advantage of being an authorized user?

16. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Gives you the ability to upgrade phones, etc,etc..

I believe the main restriction is that you can't ADD/Create a new line of service to the plan...

but you have authority to pretty much do everything else..

17. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

18664771706- Transfer of Service department, this is their only job.
    your parents (or acct holder) call first to authorize your number to go into your name, then u call and complete the process to transfer into your name. $18 fee.

u can call customer service (18003310500) first to just run your credit and see if there will be a deposit required, our deposit amounts are as follows: 0, 100, 250, 500, 750.

18. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Ahh didn't know any AT&T folks hung around here. That seems exactly the correct information he needed.

19. RJ17 macrumors regular

Isn't it cheaper to stay on the family plan. I realize the data plan will still be $30 but the added voice line is much cheaper than 39.99. I think it may be as cheap as 9.99. I not trying to question your judgment I just was wondering.

20. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

yea family talk is wayyy cheaper, not to mention taxes on its own individual plan versus the 9.99 line on a family plan.

21. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

When we renewed the contract I got a subsidized phone, does that make a difference? Is the $18 to be on my own, or just have that one line in my name?

And is an ETF fee of any kind required?

22. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I had not even thought about a deposit. Is this something that will have to be paid in full at the store when trying to activate? The 3g will be my first cell plan and I don't have any credit. No good or bad. I have a debit card and that's about as close as it gets. i have a fair amount in the 3g piggy bank but not enough to cover an upfront $500 deposit.

so how does the deposit thing work?

23. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

ETF charge is if u leave at&t, you are simply changing the resposibility of the line, not cancelling...

$18 fee is like an activation fee, they have to create a whole new account for you.

the question is though, how long ago did you get your subsidized phone? are you going to be eligable/close to being eligable for an upgrade by july 11th??

24. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

deposits are required at time of activation in full... no credit is better than bad credit. call and check, 18003310500. the decision will stay in the system for 30 days so it will not be re ran on iDay

25. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I assume they will let me know what my deposit is going to be?