ATT Deposit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaikob, Jun 26, 2009.

1. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

If I bought a new AT&T plan and iPhone from the apple store, and went through the credit check and everything without it telling me I need to make a deposit, does that mean there will be no deposit required to open a new account? Or is it kept secret, and be put onto the bill?

Weird question I know. Thanks!

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You need to pay it at the store before the account can be set up.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Deposit is a determined amount of money you pay AT&T because your credit score is deemed too low to open an account upright. It is used a safety incase you don't pay a month's or months worth of cellphone bill. Think of it as a security deposit when Leasing.

However, unlike security deposits in a lease, AT&T gives you back this deposit after a year you have been with them. The give back is applied as a credit to your account for the amount you initially paid.

How do I know? I was asked a $150 deposit when I got my 1st Gen iPhone.

4. JuneBugg macrumors member

Nope, just did it a few hours ago. They will tell you up front if there is any deposit that needs to be made (and i didn't require a deposit; THANK GODD:D)

5. jaikob thread starter macrumors 6502

jaikob

Dang, posted a reply and two more posts! haha. Well apple.com said nothing, so I guess I'm safe? :) It basically said I'm eligible and thats it.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Maybe, its best to call AT&T better, since they are the ones dealing with your bill and provide service.

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

My entire family have been loyal AT&T subscribers since we moved back to the US 3 years ago. No deposits were needed for my upgrade. :D

8. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

If it did not request a deposit then your credit check did not require one. They will not let you set up the account without paying the deposit up front. So you're good.

9. jaikob thread starter macrumors 6502

jaikob

Called Apple. Confirmed they will tell you if you need to place a deposit, and advise you to visit an Apple or AT&T store.

Thanks for the help :)