Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Wolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
This may be a stupid question, but I preordered my phone last night via the Apple Store app. I'm with AT&T. At checkout, there was the phone, the Apple care, the "upgrade fee" which it listed as "one time charge," and then something like "smartphone fee" or something like that, $30 which said would be monthly I believe.

I do remember paying a little more a month when I got my first iphone (the 4 back in 2010) but I don't remember my bill increasing by *$30* when I got my 5.

Am I not understanding this right? What is this $30 smartphone charge?

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
If you are on a Mobile Share plan, the cost of each smartphone is $40 per month. With AT&T Next there is a discount of either $15 (under 10GB plans) or $25 (10GB or more). If you switched to a Mobile Share plan with an iPhone still under contract, you were given the Next discount even if you didn't sign up for Next. But, if you get a new phone on contract, you will lose that discount, thus your bill will go up, either $15 per month or $25 per month.

Mac Wolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
If you are on a Mobile Share plan, the cost of each smartphone is $40 per month.

Alright but it's a wash right? Because I'm not adding a new line. I'm on a family plan with 3 lines, already giving them a nice chunk of change. Let's say an even $200 per month.

I'm upgrading from one smartphone to another. So my bill should be the same, no? I shouldn't be paying the $30 fee I did when I got my last smartphone if I'm no longer using that smartphone. It shouldn't be a $30 fee for that, plus an additional $30 for the iphone 6?

In other words, the bill should remain $200, not $230/$240 going forward.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Alright but it's a wash right? Because I'm not adding a new line. I'm on a family plan with 3 lines, already giving them a nice chunk of change. Let's say an even $200 per month.

I'm upgrading from one smartphone to another. So my bill should be the same, no? I shouldn't be paying the $30 fee I did when I got my last smartphone if I'm no longer using that smartphone. It shouldn't be a $30 fee for that, plus an additional $30 for the iphone 6?

You should be charged for the phone, the one-time upgrade fee $40, the voice plan (depends on what plan you have ) and the data plan (mine is $30 for unlimited). There's always been a voice charge and a data charge.

Mac Wolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
You should be charged for the phone, the one-time upgrade fee $40, the voice plan (depends on what plan you have ) and the data plan (mine is $30 for unlimited). There's always been a voice charge and a data charge.

Yeah. As long as there isn't an additional $30 for a "smartphone fee." I could understand if I was adding a whole new line with a brand new smartphone. But that's not the case.

All 3 members on my family plan qualify for a full upgrade. If we all decided to get the 6, I would certainly hope our bill wouldn't be an additional $90 a month because of this weird fee.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin

If you are on a Family Plan and not a Mobile Share plan, then you should not see a monthly increase (unless you bought the phone through Next), just the one time $40 activation fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.