ATT....FAIL.......They told me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acidflame, Oct 5, 2012.

1. acidflame macrumors member

I walked into a ATT store....the guy greeted me and I asked for the iphone 5 and wanted device only.

He was going to check it out for me and the manager walked in and SAID NO....you cant buy iphone at full price without contract...

For reals...no lies I swear....I wasnt rude or anything...just said I wanted it as a gift....They told me it was apples policy that I couldnt do that

2. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Sounds like an internal policy to only sell where they can lock in a contract (since it's in such high demand that they can get away with it). Or more likely the staff at that store have misinterpreted a memo from corporate and you paid the price.

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

4. acidflame thread starter macrumors member

Should I call ATT about it? I didnt think theyd withhold someone buying a device as a gift and didnt want to put it on contract

5. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

yeah.

Call them and send an email to Apple alerting them of your experience. Apple somewhat depends on these carriers to help distribute their products and likely look down on them not selling you an iPhone. Sorta like when a bar has a "minimum charge" on cards. If you call the credit card companies and alert them to this, they will put pressure on the bars to stop this practice. I can see why the do it (in both scenarios, ATT and local bars respectively) but it *is* shady in my opinion.

6. dpw84 macrumors member

7. stockett macrumors newbie

I feel your pain- i've just about had it with AT&T.

I've had to return 2 iphone 5's because they were damaged, meaning I had to reverse 2 upgrades. Now they won't reserve my upgrade status until they complete their 'case' until 10/18... Unreal

8. reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

When I was buying my 64GB at the Apple Store Oak Brook, I've noticed that on their iPod POS systems Apple has two options before they proceed; you can purchase the phone at $399 2 year agreement, or $849 no commitment option.

I'm pretty sure the store was just giving you hell because that's what managers do best. Call AT&T and Apple and complain about the store.

If you need the number straight to Apple Executive team, let me know.

9. acidflame thread starter macrumors member

I found the number and complained...apple never heard of such crap..they just said on their site that you cant get it without contract but any apple store or authorized retailer you can and should be able to. I also reported that store. Im sorry if im wrong because I dont want a contract and dont want to pay 2000 a year for phone service.....

Im perfectly happy with my straight talk lol. Its cheap and reliable

10. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

It's kind of funny... they place the blame on Apple for everything.

So far I've heard:

"Apple didn't send us that many iPhones. They must want all the sales to themselves."

"Apple won't allow for your early upgrade."

"Apple says we can't give you the 250 dollar credit to your account."

I'm not kidding.

11. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

They probably want to use the minimal units they're getting to secure new contracts and renew old ones. Selling the device outright doesn't really make them money.

Shady business, but I understand the thought process.

12. acidflame thread starter macrumors member

hahahahahahaahaha
    They are just cheap because apple wont let them rip us off and sell the phone with all kinds of fees and crap.

I refuse to get a contract so off to the apple store in buffalo ny in the morning!

13. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

The Apple Store will treat you like you're their new Best Friend. :D

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

Buy if full price online. I have done so twice with no issue. Or go to an apple store...I am sure they will sell it at FP.

15. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

2000 a year for service .... Whose service cost that much a year geesh I'm on AT&T n with taxes n everything I'm only paying 864 a year!

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The stocks are limited and they'd rather get that phone tied to someone on a contract, instead of without one - I'm assuming.

17. Applejuiced, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    They want to sell it under contract and get the commission out of the 2 year agreement too.

18. acidflame thread starter macrumors member

oh well.....cross fingers for me to get one at apple store tomorrow.....Its gonna be my first idevice since the original ipod

19. davewolfs macrumors regular

Bullocks. I called att and purchased an unlocked iphone over the phone. If they aren't doing it at the location they are misinformed.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How long do you have to wait till it arrives though?

21. thekb macrumors 6502a

So Straight Talk doesn't give you grief about activating an iPhone? Do they have 4G service? PagePlus Cellular works on the Verizon network and specifically excludes iphones and only gets 3G service.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why would they?
    You can bring any GSM phone as long as you pay them and dont go too crazy with usage then they wont cut you off. You can activate any sim and just stick it on any compatible phone.
    It would get 3G service but not sure about HSPA+ access and Im positive it wont get LTE service.

23. thekb macrumors 6502a

Well ... like I said, PagePlus Cellular DOES specifically exclude iphones. I'm not saying that makes sense, it's just a fact. You can activate an iphone on PPC, but they say it is subject to termination if they find out. So I was asking about Straight Talk's policies.