ATT iPhone unlocking options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pinkoos, Nov 13, 2013.

1. pinkoos macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm trying to get my wife's ATT iPhone unlocked in preparation for a potential switch to TMobile.

ATT won't do it b/c she's still under contract (yes, we're willing to pay the ETF to get out of the contract...would still save a ton of money in the long run).

The unlocking option I've used before, unlockfusion.net (via eBay), apparently doesn't do iPhones anymore (at least for the time being).

From what I could glean online, it seems that ATT changed how they "provisioned" unlocks to 3rd parties (or something like that), making it impossible for 3rd parties to do it for $2 or $3 like I've done before.

So, just wondering if anybody knows of any other options that they've used RECENTLY and don't cost more than maybe $5 give or take?

Thanks.

PS I'm not interested in jailbreaking...just want a factory unlock for my wife's iPhone 5.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you're willing to pay the ETF it should be relatively simple. Call up AT&T, cancel your contract, pay the ETF and they will unlock it for you.

Unfortunately, there are no inexpensive unlocking services available anymore.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, like said above.
    Once you pay the ETF then they have to unlock it.
    If you don't pay all the outstanding balance and etf then they wont unlock it.

4. dnayak macrumors newbie

Call ATT Customer Care and tell them to cancel your account. They will calculate the ETF and charge the same to your account. Once you pay, wait for 14 days. Then you can initiate an UNLOCK request with ATT.
    Before cancelling, you can ask them about the UNLOCKING. I specifically asked if I can UNLOCK my device. :)

5. btv94 macrumors newbie

I'm the same situation. I'm traveling to Asia next month for two weeks.I just talked to ATT about unlock my iPhone 5 that still has contract till Sept 2014 and was told that if i'm willing to pay ETF for $195 then ATT will do the unlock for me.
    $195 ETF VS $100+ at 3rd parties 2 weeks of waiting. Something to think about.

6. germinator macrumors regular

But even if you unlock via third party, you still have to pay through the end of your contract (unless you pay ETF). So it's not an OR thing.

7. btv94 macrumors newbie

Maybe i did't make it clear, in my case i only want my phone unlock for oversea use. If I'm in state, i'll still be using AT&T (not T-mobil)

8. pinkoos thread starter macrumors regular

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This is an interesting article--thanks for providing the link. It sounds like what may have motivated AT&T is that it is entering the secondary iPhone market, along with Apple and wants to kill the competition.

I had no idea the business of unlocking and reselling iPhones was so big that some people opened offices and were pulling in $1 million in revenue--I'm clearly in the wrong business.

The article did have some misinformation though that I've found repeated over and over again to my frustration:

"The locking is an outgrowth of the subsidy model for phone sales in the U.S. Carriers cover the bulk of the cost of devices like the iPhone then recover their outlay over two years via monthly service fees. Locking makes sure customers stick with the service until their obligation is cleared."

Locking does NOT make sure customers stick with a carrier--the contract you agree to that includes an ETF does that.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, obviously given the strict lockdown.

11. nicholasss macrumors regular

I wonder why it took them so long to realize this. I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T switches it's policies and starts charging to unlock their phones.

12. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

They Can't. Federal law passed a year or so ago requires free unlocking if contract terms are met.

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

I don't think that's the case in the USA. Sprint won't unlock their iPhones for use on AT&T or T-Mobile, even though the phones are compatible. Verizon's phones are unlocked, but that is related to the spectrum that Verizon acquired.