Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nszzya

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I have a family plan on ATT. My iPhone 4 was recently stolen and I've suspended my service. I'm not eligible for upgrade pricing until June. My daughter has a 3GS on the plan and is eligible for upgrade pricing now. I'd like to use her upgrade to replace my 4. My thought was that I would upgrade her then reactivate my account and ask ATT to switch her back to the 3GS and put my account on the replacement 4. What would be the best way to go about it?

Thanks for any advice!

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
The way you said it works fine. Although I'd just use a replacement phone until apple announces the next gen

nszzya

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
The way you said it works fine. Although I'd just use a replacement phone until apple announces the next gen

Thanks for the advice. I was planning to use my June eligibility to upgrade to the next iteration and give my daughter the 4. She's not an early adopter!

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
An AT&T thread... yay. :p

Yes, that will work fine. We do that all the time.
You'll have to get it done through AT&T though since they can do the upgrade swap (or what ever it's called).

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Thanks and sorry!

Nooo! Don't take it that way. I seriously meant it.
I'm getting tired of seeing those Verizon threads, so when I saw your AT&T thread I was like "YAY" :D It seemed like those Verizon threads were taking over this whole place. :eek:

That's cool, I didn't know you could do it online. (Well, in theory it should work anyways).
Thanks for the heads up! :)

nszzya

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Nooo! Don't take it that way. I seriously meant it.
I'm getting tired of seeing those Verizon threads, so when I saw your AT&T thread I was like "YAY" :D It seemed like those Verizon threads were taking over this whole place. :eek:

That's cool, I didn't know you could do it online. (Well, in theory it should work anyways).
Thanks for the heads up! :)

Glad to restore a bit of carrier balance to the forum!

The online option is tempting, but I think I'll buy the phone at an AT&T store and have them handle the swap then.

SYCAMOREGRAD

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Indianapolis
In 2009, I ordered the 3GS from Apple. I wasn't prompted to select a data plan at the time of purchase. So when I received the 3GS, which was purchased on my mom's account upgrade, I inserted my 3G sim, then activated the 3GS through itunes. I'm concerned if this might not work this time around because I must select a data plan during the purchase. I'm also concerned because of the note on AT&T's website that states the following: "You must maintain a minimum $15 per month data plan for as long as you have a voice plan with this phone." :confused:

But it sounds like I'll be able to handle it all through AT&T. Thanks for the upgrade swap link, nszzya! :)

p.s. I'll be using the micro sim that came with my first iphone 4, which [the sim] is currently scotch-taped to a piece of plastic to fit into my old 3G. For those wondering, I tried to replace the cracked screen on my first iphone 4, and...it didn't go so well. I ended up tearing the digitizer ribbon cable on the replacement screen, then did the exact same thing when trying to put the cracked screen back on. So the sim i put in the new iphone 4 (hopefully the iphone 4 will be white,) i'm hoping i'll have the same ease of activating what will essentially be of a replacement iphone 4.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.