ATT iPhone vs. ATT HTC Hero ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by agkm800, Jul 5, 2009.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

There is a word that HTC Hero is coming to ATT later this year. But, who knows what.

However, if it's true, will you at least be interested?

Will you ever consider HTC Hero + iPod Touch vs. iPhone ?

2. matttye macrumors 601

I'm getting the HTC Hero soon. Perhaps not on release date, but shortly after. It looks like a better version of the iPhone. The Widgets implementation is awesome :D

You wouldn't necessarily need an iPod touch either - the hero has a music player. If you get a 16gb micro sd card for it, that'd be enough for lots of people.

3. agkm800 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I am getting iPod Touch not for music, but for all those wonderful Apple apps. :)

4. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

5. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

If any rumors and such get released about AT&T getting it, I will just flip out. Im going to wait about 3 months just to get it. And i really need it to be on Sprint or T-Mobile.

Sweet. Hopefully I will too!
    Agreed. While the UI looks good, I dont think it will compare to using apps on an iPod Touch

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

If I were to even consider leaving the iphone it would have to be for a phone that could stand on its own. Anything that needs to be supplemented by an ipod touch is clearly not an iphone replacement.

As for the Hero specifically, it looks nice (among my favorite non-iphone options), but I have a few gripes. First, the chin - not so much because it's ugly but because it would be annoying to carry in a pants pocket. Second, reviews say there's lag in the UI. I don't know exactly how much, but I've gotten used to things happening pretty instantaneously on the 3GS. Third, I'd need to look in the Android marketplace more. I've come to rely on some 3rd party iphone apps pretty heavily, and I'd need serviceable replacements.

Bottom line, I think the Hero appears to do a lot of things well, but I've got enough invested (in terms of both money and know-how) in the iphone/itunes/app store ecosystem that it would take a phone that was *clearly* superior to the iphone to get me to switch. I don't think the Hero falls in to that category

7. charliehustle macrumors 6502

I like the iphone and how it synchs with my other apple computers so effortlessly.. but at the same time, I'm a huge google supporter..

right now, I don't think I'd switch off the iphone, but in the not too distance future when...

Chrome OS is released
    Android market grows
    Android OS is faster

I think I'll end up switching..

I like the google voice app, and that would be another reason to change phones..

seems like most phones that are not apple will eventually end up supporting Android, and that means more choices when it comes to hardware too..

8. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

9. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

The rumor is that it's supposed to come out for Sprint in October. Hopefully it will come out for AT&T sooner since it was already approved with AT&T 3G by the FCC. I wonder if HTC is just going to offer this as an unlocked phone. That would be great.

10. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

personally i wont buy it unless its sold unlocked. the $10/month family unlimited data plan is too good to give up.

11. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I have recently got the Hero - and despite a few flaws, I'm pretty happy with it.

One of the main flaws is it has limited Bluetooth ability ( pairs with handsfree kits and thats about it ) - I'm waiting for a sw fix for this.

There are tons of apps in the Market place, so no shortage there.

It's slightly smaller than the iPhone, which it what I wanted.

Music player is good.

I didn't want to change my carrier ( Orange ) - and the Hero was free to me.

How does t compare to the iPhone? ABout equal I'd say. One of the reasons I got it is the EVERYONE - and I mean EVERYONE, seems to have an iPhone now, and it's getting too common nowadays, and I wanted something different:rolleyes:

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Are you sure the music player is close enough to the iPhone's iPod...i've read its passable. Also hows the general response and how does the screen handle fingerprints?

13. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Regarding performance I haven't notced any lagginess.

On a scale of 1 - 10, music player is 8, and iPods is 9.

No more finger print problems then the iPhone.

14. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Regarding performance I haven't noticed any lagginess.

On a scale of 1 - 10, music player is 8, and iPods is 9.

No more finger print problems then the iPhone.

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I see. Hmmm....tempting.

16. King James macrumors member

I'm looking at getting the Hero, but hopefully it comes to Verizon. Words is that Sprint is getting it right now, but I haven't read anythign about if that is going to be exclusive and if so, for how long. I refuse to switch to ATT which is the reason I don't have an iPhone right now. If the iPhone were to come to Verizon, though.... I would be first in line.

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If the iPhone came to Verizon I'd switch back to Verizon in a heartbeat. The problem with Verizon is the phones have a serious ugly problem. Most people would agree that Verizon does not have a good phone selection.

18. King James macrumors member

I'm not sure I would agree with this. Although they are notorious for not getting exclusivity or new releases right at launch, they do eventually get most/all of the non-exclusive phones. They did get the blackberry tour @ launch but my curve is a tank and I couldn't justify the upgrade. My problem with verizon is the **** they pull with their services

19. cenetti macrumors 6502

I like ATT, ATT hasn't given me any problems since i switched them in 07 for iphone. So, I'd rather stay with ATT but I am bored with iphone.I want to try android. I want to try the new zune HD...

And for this reason, I have not upgraded from 3G to 3GS... I want to try other platforms...

And I am ready to use bootcamp/parallels on my MacPro... and sell my 3G and Ipod Touch.... for the switch ....

I am tired that, Apple (in order to increase sales) has been spoon feeding us the improvements .... We'll probably will get a 5mpx cam next year... how cool... :rolleyes:

So if ATT gets hero...I'll be the first in line... :D

Oh also I think Google Voice is an amazing service. Not being able to use it on my phone is one HELL of a BIG FAIL ! I rather have GV than 1000 fart applications and stupid games..I am 30 years old..Heck I don't even play games anymore !

All the rest (useful apps) are already in Android market or soon will be.... SO ATT! YA HEAR ME NOW... Get that hero... YA HEAR !
    And I want Gmail PUSH! ... I have been using the same Gmail account for the last 5 years- for FREE!. Same account with 'ME' - would have cost me $500 already... lol...

20. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

If you're gonna order the Hero know that its processor is clocked at 384MHz which is weaker than any iPhone...even 2G instead of the rated 523MHz, which explains the lag somewhat

22. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

I'm sure HTC will make some software improvements to cut down on the lagging. Hopefully they will adjust the processor speed as well.

23. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

The Hero is clocked at over 500MHz. G1 and Magic are both rated at 384, not the Hero.

Still not as fast as the 3GS but thats not due to the slower CPU. Its OS just isn't optimized to take advantage of the speed. I'd be tempted if it wasn't for the serious lag. And when you open more apps, more lag. I do like the interface though and am kind of indifferent to the chin.

24. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

25. iDeve1oper macrumors member

I'm really impressed with the Hero (on paper). Disappointed in carrier support. There was a neat video on Adobe.com with it's web browsing/flash support.